2+2+2 recordings?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I have an SACD on the German MDG label that is not only 5.1, but incorporates what they call 2+2+2 recording. According to the liner notes, if one mounts two loudspeakers above the L and R Front speakers, and feed the center channel to the upper left speaker and the subwoofer channel to the upper right speaker, it will create a more 3D sound field. This seems bizarre to me. Has anyone tried this?

There is some more information about the 2+2+2 recording on this page (which is in German) - http://www.mdg.de/frame2.htm

Yeah I've wittered on about this on here in the past, its kinda like Yamaha's 2 x L/R Front Height Channels but discrete on the disc rather than by DSP trickery.

I've got a few of these 2+2+2 SACDs (various Jazz & Classical stuff, I don't recall what they are now, I'll flick thru later) but I've never bothered re-arranging the room seeing as the 5.1 mixes weren't upto much and so I couldn't see the 2+2+2 being revelatory (but to be fair they could well be amazing!) and most of the music didn't do too much for me.

FWIW, this same label has now started releasing Blu-ray Audio in 2+2+2 mixes (plus 7.1 mixes of the same repertoire) I can't see it taking off on BDA either myself, its hard enough getting people into music with a standard 5.1 layout.. but who knows..!?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 104
Back