Review / Ratings

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blrac

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I have found several discs and need some guidance on them since there are no reviews posted for them anywhere I can find here. If you have any of these or heard them, please state your opinions for me, or maybe we can add these to the poll sections?

Ministry -Animositisomnia -Dualdisc
The Church - Forget Yourself - Dualdisc (Silverline)
Insane Clown Posse -The Wraith: Shangri-La - DVD Audio
SHeDAISY - The Whole SHeBANG - DVD Audio
Studio Voodoo - Studio Voodoo - DVD Audio

Last edited:
For the record, all of these sell pretty cheaply, which is why I was curious on buying them. On the one hand, they are surround for cheap, on the other hand, why are they cheap (typically because little demand and/or terrible quality). It is not so much the money as it is not bothering with discs I will only listen to onceand then collect dust. Obviously they would be worth nothing to resell. Anyway, any help is appreciated. Odds are I will probably buy them unless someone definitively says they are that bad.

I have the Shedaisy & Studio Voodoo - I'll have another listen & report - I don't think either really grabbed me.

Insane Clown Posse, Mudvayne & The Church I don't have, I'll probably end up getting them some day but none of them musically do it for me so the mixes would have to be exceptional. Studio Voodoo is an alright mix of mostly forgettable music and Shedaisy's a pretty good mix of fairly average poppy girly music. FWIW I quite like the Shedaisy :eek:

I have found several discs and need some guidance on them since there are no reviews posted for them anywhere I can find here. If you have any of these or heard them, please state your opinions for me, or maybe we can add these to the poll sections?

Mudvayne - Lost And Found -Dualdisc (not sure if it is surround)
The Church - Forget Yourself - Dualdisc (Silverline)
Insane Clown Posse -The Wraith: Shangri-La - DVD Audio
SHeDAISY - The Whole SHeBANG - DVD Audio
Studio Voodoo - Studio Voodoo - DVD Audio

Beware: The Mudvayne is not a surround release.....
She Daisy is a good one.
The Church I don't know and Studio Voodoo/Insane Clown Posse I have, but don't like the music.....surroundwise they are ok.

I have a dts demo disc with SHeDAISY and Insane Clown Posse songs on it, which is why I got interested. The SHeDAISY sounded like typical country music with decent use of the surrounds. I am not a big country fan, but I have others that sound pretty good (Toby Keith, highly recommended), and it is surround. Posse was loud and amusing. Not my typical selection, but I have nothing like it, and didnt think it would be bad to add it, unless it is really terrible. The song I heard wants me to go buy a low rider with 24" rims, recline the seat, and make the entire back of the car a subwoofer and see how long my windows last.

I just ordered the Shedaisy DVD Audio based on the recommendations above. Thanks!

While I was at it, I also purchased the Marvin Gaye collection DVD Audio too. The SACD version is said to have a defect so I stayed away from it.

If anyone has heard The Church DVD-A, I'd be interested to know what you think too!.....

Just ordered Studio Voodoo and Ministry, and bidding or buying Insane Clown Posse ind next few days. Watching SHeDAISY but being cheap atm, will keep you informed when I finally get them.

Listened to Ministry. Nothing special, but not terrible. It is metal, and that is pretty rare in surround. It is Silverline. The first song is very aggressive, but it settles down a lot from there. The music is not my cup of tea, but sonically it was fine. I would probably rate this a 6, maybe a 7 just because it is dificult to find harder rock music. If you like that type of music, I think you would like this and would suggest getting it for as cheap as it is.

Studio Voodoo is not too bad. Not sure how to best describe the music, as it is sort of a mix between Blue Man Group and a type of prog music, sorta. The surround mix is a bit aggressive, but not tacky, and the music is anything but consistent, which is not a bad thing. For as cheap as it is used, I think a lot of people would enjoy this, so I definitely recommend it for a cheap price. Overall I would probably rate this a strong 7.

Insane Clown Posse is an aggressive, but well done surround mix, reminiscent of Linkin Park's Reanimation. It is similar to their music as well, the white man heavy metal rap combo thing. They swear a lot so if that offends you stay away. I am not sure what I would rate this yet. I will listen to it more than once, most likely when I have had a few drinks and want to rattle my neighbirhood. Some songs are more catchy than others. I actually had low expectations for this, but it is better than I expected. If I had to pick I would give this from a 6 - 8, depending on my mood. It is hard to narrow it anymore at this time. Once again, I got this used for cheap, so definitely a good deal if you want something loud, amusing, and vulgar.

Adding another one to the list - Widespread Panic - Ball. I know nothing about this group except that they are typically a touring band. This is another Silverline mix though.

Adding another one to the list - Widespread Panic - Ball. I know nothing about this group except that they are typically a touring band. This is another Silverline mix though.

I have that and the Don't Tell the Band DVD-As...

FYI - IMHO Don't Tell the Band is better than Ball....

My Church dualdiscs have all been the regular cd version because they were labelled incorrectly so I still don't own that yet. I am waiting on Widespread Panic-Don't Tell The Band (based on Lizardking's suggestion). Buying SheDaisy this weekend as the price has dropped significantly. If anyone knows of others that are worth getting, I am open to suggestions as these tend to be cheaper and sometimes there are some really good ones, and not sure if we have many of these reviewed anywhere.

I keep finding more cheap dualdiscs. Since these can come in several surround formats and even other disc formats, there is no one place to look for reviews on them. I have to cross reference if the disc is even in surround, then what type, then try to find if it is listed, which most are not, at least based on the dualdisc format (some are as sacd or dvd audio) but the dualdisc version is not always the same. Am I missing something? I have taken chances and purchased things hoping it sounds good because outside of this thread I can't find any info. Maybe there is some way to have a section for dualdiscs, even if there is some overlap, and/or link or refer to an existing thread if the discs are the same mix, resolution, etc. Just a thought.

I did a spot check on the Church dualdisc. It is a DVD-A. The mix is very discrete, but the center speaker is used very sparingly. I heard no vocals through them, but only occasional effects. If you like the music, however, I'd say it's worth picking up.

Another for the list, if anyone has heard it: Wishbone Ash-Bare Bones. It is once again Silverline, but some of these have been decent and cheap.

Back