Donald Byrd "Black Byrd" Lp - unmarked SQ Quad?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarkNovak

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I've recently started using Discogs as a way to track my collection, and while entering Lps, came across this:

http://www.discogs.com/Donald-Byrd-Black-Byrd/release/3221041

The OP states in the release notes that this was an unmarked SQ Quad release. It's possible, since United Artists is known to have done so with other Lp releases (War, Paul Anka), and there was a Q8 tape released on this title.

Can anyone confirm or debunk?

Interesting
A quick check on ebay shows a couple of albums with an also available on quad tape sticker.

Yes, but that sticker was presumably to clue buyers in to the Q8, since UA made no notation of this being a quad Lp. If it is, then it'll be a classic example of 'stealth' quad, though one can't imagine what point there ever was to hiding this fact, since such titles were meant to be compatible with stereo systems.

ED :)

I distinctly remember a round sticker on these albums that said something like "Available on QUAD 8", or something like that.

It was never discussed anywhere back then that the LPs were quad.

The only UA quad LP was a UK release, with a BIG sticker saying quadraphonic.

$_12.JPG

Check the deadwax for a # that indicates Quad (QS or SQ). Very few UA albums were released on Quad vinyl. I'm not aware of any of their Blue Note titles on Q LP's. The Painter - Paul Anka is the only UA Quad LP that I recall. The vinyl was QS ONLY, no stereo. Nearly all UA or Blue Note Quads were Q8 only.

I own both Donald Byrd Black Byrd and Street Lady on both Q8 and CD. I don't recall any mention of Quad encoding. If there was, it would have likely been QS.

mC1DbPymnkjlc7ekAIrkfJw.jpg
Aforementioned sticker on War's Deliver the Word. BTW, EVERY first pressing LP of this War title was recalled, due to a manufacturing defect which caused them to skip. Good old QC.

One of the auctions had a picture of the record but it was too small to see the deadwax number. The next time I am in a used record store I will look for this title and check for the number. This is what I did for CTI titles.

However, if the record was quad encoded wouldn't the cd issue also be too if it wasnt a remaster?

The hunt is on......

It may have been encoded with nothin in the wax, could be they were just playing around with an encoder for a couple years and did not want to pay the piper by labeling. These were all new fun toys and labels and artists were not always on the same page.
One of the auctions had a picture of the record but it was too small to see the deadwax number. The next time I am in a used record store I will look for this title and check for the number. This is what I did for CTI titles.

However, if the record was quad encoded wouldn't the cd issue also be too if it wasnt a remaster?

The hunt is on......

Absolutely nothing indicating quad or any encoding on my copy of the stereo LP, nothing etched in the run out area indicating quad.
My copy is US, white label with blue printing, Blue Note is a division of United Artists
The cover does not even mention the Q8, says also available on stereo tape.
Chief Remix Engineer : Dave Hassinger, Asst Remix Engineer: Chuck Davis. Either of those engineers known for quad remixes?

vinylguy4

Last edited:
Well I just jumped on a used cd so Ill check it out and see if I like the mix and music. The samples on Amazon sound pleasant. It'll get here the same time as my Roger Waters amused to death cd to check out Q sound......two very different collections of music.
Reading this website is very informative, but bad for my wallet...... :)

Perhaps another discovered lost quad to be added to Black Eyed blues?

Just got my cd and played it through the SQ setting on my audionics. There is a nice full soundfield but it is hard for me to decide if it is just synthesizing very well as opposed to a true SQ mix. Haven't had time to try it thru QS.
Perhaps someone who has the Q8 can compare it to the cd and see if the mix is the same. By the way the cd sounds very good and its fun music, not my everyday type of stuff.

On the other hand the Roger Waters Amused to Death Q sound sounds amazing on the enhance (synthesize) setting, very discrete, like it is a real surround mix.

Just got my cd and played it through the SQ setting on my audionics. There is a nice full soundfield but it is hard for me to decide if it is just synthesizing very well as opposed to a true SQ mix.

I got the same impression streaming the MP3 via Rhapsody and piping it through the Surround Master in SQ mode. It sounded good, but I have no idea if it was right.

Back