• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Beta HiFi - Borrow / Trade / Rent?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Folks - I have been watching and bidding on eBay for weeks and not getting anywhere.

I have 5-6 Beta Hi Fi tapes presumably of my band in the 1980s that I simply want to digitize and edit on PC for eventual disc. Can anybody help me?

Thanks, Tim

I have one working Beta Hi-Fi VCR (and two non-working) so I could play the tapes. Are you interested in only the audio?

Folks - I have been watching and bidding on eBay for weeks and not getting anywhere.

I have 5-6 Beta Hi Fi tapes presumably of my band in the 1980s that I simply want to digitize and edit on PC for eventual disc. Can anybody help me?

Thanks, Tim

Are they straight Beta Hi-fi audio? Or did you use the PCM encoder?

J. D.

Thanks for asking! It was a techie room mate who did it. It was a Sony F 1 if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, so you need someone not only with a Beta Hi-fi deck, but the Sony F1 PCM decoder as well. Let me see if that's the unit one of my friends has, and if he'd be willing to lend/rent it (not a given, knowing this guy).

J. D.

Perhaps. The F1 was used a few times. Some of these might be dubs from BetaCam SP. But dubs were usually VHS by then. Can't say for certain.

So any beta deck and outboard processor to extract, eh?

My friend has an Aiwa PCM unit. Neither of us knows if this is compatible with tapes recorded with the Sony PCM system.

J. D.

My friend has an Aiwa PCM unit. Neither of us knows if this is compatible with tapes recorded with the Sony PCM system.

J. D.
What does he use it with, a betamax or something else?

Thanks, I guess my next step is determining Compatibility of Sony F1 tapes with other gear.

What does he use it with, a betamax or something else?

An Aiwa betamax deck. He believes that the two work as a system and that the PCM unit might not be able to be hooked up to any betamax deck. He hasn't actually used it in years.

J. D.

Depends on how it's hooked up. If it's a special cable then maybe not but if it just feeds the video output into the PCM unit then I don't see what the difference would be between one machine and another.

I have a Sony GCS-50 Beta hi fi deck and a Sony PCM 501 ES and a PCM 701 ES PCM units. I should be able to decode and transfer your tapes.

Send me a PM

A_L

Back