$150 to repair this turntable?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elguapo511

I was given a Kenwood kp-5022. It has never run at the correct speed, actually has a 220plug with a 120 converter at the end.

So I took it to get inspected and was quoted at $150 to replace 9 capacitors and the power plug.
Comes with 90 warranty and I have had good experiences with the shop.

I have a JVC 4dd-5, a pikering cart, and 608DEQ Pickering D2400Q/D2000Q Replacement Stylus.

My amp is a pioneer qx949 and I run this all through the tape monitor.

So, what do you think? Where should I invest.

I was given a Kenwood kp-5022. It has never run at the correct speed, actually has a 220plug with a 120 converter at the end.

So I took it to get inspected and was quoted at $150 to replace 9 capacitors and the power plug.

I have a JVC 4dd-5, a pikering cart, and 608DEQ Pickering D2400Q/D2000Q Replacement Stylus.

mamita Linda will be the one to give you a good answer-she knows this stuff better than most.

Likely the Kenwood doesn't run at the correct speed because it is a 50 hz (cycle) motor. 220V runs at 50 hz (cycles.) 110/120V systems use 60 hz (cycle) motors. Changing only the voltage won't make it run properly. Changing only the voltage works in instances where there is no motor involved. There will be an expense involved in making this piece work on 110/120V.

Since you don't list a location on your profile, I'm assuming that you live somewhere in the US, or another country that uses 110V?

yes well in Australia at 240 volt 50Hz , a 110 volt 60hz version (if it's affected..some aren't) goes slowly..so if this one (being the opposite way around) runs fast, then I'd also assume it's a cycle problem.

Helloha, I am in Chicago, Illinois. I took it to Electronic Engineers on Belmont.

Unless they were placating me, I seeming to be filling them in on all things quadraphonic, though they are quite knowledgeable when it comes to reel 2 reels.

This turntable was given to me by a sailor who said he bought it in Bermuda while in the Navy.
It was set to 220 and running slow

The switch was under the plate. I switched it back to 120 and it still ran slow.

So, I learned quite a bit about capacitors last night and then my head exploded. So despite the mess, I might leave this to the pros... as in the shop with my table, and my 30$ deposit.

I guess now I am hoping my cart and stylus hold up.

Why isnt there a quad night in the windy city?

Back