Scored SQD-2020 on Ebay, How to connect in system.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad901

Hi all,
I have scored a Sony SQD-2020 on ebay:banana: I also have an Emotiva UMC-200 Pre/Pro surround processor. I am wondering how I should connect the 2020 into my system.
1) Use a zone output from the UMC-200 to input to the 2020 and then connect the outputs of the 2020 to the direct inputs on the UMC-200. This leaves the UMC-200 pre-amp outputs connected to the power amp inputs.
2) The other choice is to connect the power amps to the pre-outs of the 2020 and then connect the pre-amp outputs of the UMC to the discrete 4 channel inputs of the 2020.

which way would give the the least amount of noise/hum in the system.
Thanks for you help:eek:
Quad901

Hi All,
I received the SQD-2020 on Friday. That evening I did a bunch of testing and clean all of the adjust pots and switches. The Right Front output from the Surround Decoder was dead. Yesterday I went through the circuits for the right channel decoder. All of the transistor voltages looked good. Next I got out the solder-iron and re-solder most of the feed-through connections on the main PCB board. and the after powering up the Right Front channel started working.

So the Decoder is now connected to the UMC-200 using a Zone Output #2 as it's input. And the from/back channel outputs of the Decoder are connected to the 7.1 channel Front/Surround inputs of the UMC-200.

So I listened to two SQ records today and the improvement in separation and sound quality of the SQD-2020 is night / day difference from the Marantz 4070 with the SQA-2 decoder that I have been using since 2005.

RM matrix switch
will give some sort of QS decoding
but a very low separation
Don't judge QS by this decoder

I won't say it but you know what I am thinking

Ron

Back