Belafonte at Carnegie Hall: The Complete Concert in 3 Channel Stereo SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every little once in a while I come back to this SACD and ponder dropping $40+ on it. I'm more tempted today than previously but I have a few questions for those who own it (and perhaps earlier incarnations). First are some content and then some technical. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Though I've had the RCA single CD for ages, I don't listen to it often and rarely end-to-end. That said, it has a half dozen personal favorites (Sylvie, Man Smart, Jamaica Farewell, Mama Look a Boo Boo, Hava Nageilah, Matilda among them). From what I can tell, the "new" music tracks are:

1. Take My Mother Home
  2. Man Piaba
  3. All My Trials
  4. Merci Bon Dieu
  5. Scarlet Ribbons
I assume that track 20, the Spoken Intro, is the only other new content in this release, and that the Overture (Instrumental) is simply what has previously been the extended outro of Matilda on the previous RCA CD. Content aside, I have no doubt that this SACD sounds superior to my CD, which now lives more as ALAC files. I'm pretty decent with this stuff but am certainly a comparable monkey at the typewriter compared to folks here.

I just played a few songs in Stereo and then in "Dolby PLII Music" just to remind myself how it sounds on my 5.1 system. I assume that the best way to play the SACD is just set my receiver to Stereo and it will automatically use the front three channels? Or do I have to futz with things? Ideally I prefer not to do any "Dolby-like" processing at my end.

? If your system is 5.1, and the source is 3.0, you *must* set your system to output all channels independently, to get accurate playback. Dolby PLII will ignore the 3.0 center channel info and create its own from the front L/R channels.

It's the best sounding version of the concert I've heard. The sound quality easily tops the earlier K2HD CD and HK SACD versions.
http://positive-feedback.com/Issue78/belafonte_carnagie.htm

Agreed, Brian. Well worth the $40! I am also a BIG fan of Tony Bennett @ Carnegie Hall on AP's fantastic sounding, 'you are there' three channel SACD [except of course for the intrusive audience applause). The dynamic range on both AP SACD releases is EXCEPTIONAL!

http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=10686#tracks

? If your system is 5.1, and the source is 3.0, you *must* set your system to output all channels independently, to get accurate playback. Dolby PLII will ignore the 3.0 center channel info and create its own from the front L/R channels.

Thanks for these tips. I just ordered the disc and have 4-10 days to figure it out. I take it that the Stereo setting won't work. Looking at my Pioneer receiver's settings there are a few options that might do (FS Surround Focus and FS Surround Wide). Somehow I doubt it's that simple! I believe I have a re channel disc to experiment with (Fiedler Rhapsody in Blue Living Stereo).

It's the best sounding version of the concert I've heard. The sound quality easily tops the earlier K2HD CD and HK SACD versions.
http://positive-feedback.com/Issue78/belafonte_carnagie.htm

Thanks for the link. Your longer post above was very helpful. I've spent well above my budget this month, but thankfully it won't break the bank. You can't take it with you.

Thanks for these tips. I just ordered the disc and have 4-10 days to figure it out. I take it that the Stereo setting won't work. Looking at my Pioneer receiver's settings there are a few options that might do (FS Surround Focus and FS Surround Wide). Somehow I doubt it's that simple! I believe I have a re channel disc to experiment with (Fiedler Rhapsody in Blue Living Stereo).

Thanks for the link. Your longer post above was very helpful. I've spent well above my budget this month, but thankfully it won't break the bank. You can't take it with you.

The album is a Hybrid Multichannel SACD (3 Channel Stereo). So it will play fine as a Stereo SACD and Stereo CD.
You will need a Multichannel SACD player, like the Oppo 103 and 105, to hear the album in 3 Channel Stereo SACD.

The good news is that the Analogue Productions edition costs less than the K2HD CD Extended Edition - yet has even more tracks and sounds better.

If your player can play the DSD layer of SACD (natively, or transcoding DSD to PCM, doesn't matter), and has an HDMI or analog RCA 6 channel output, you are fine. Just make sure you set it to do that -- decode and output the *multichannel DSD* version.

FS surround focus etc DSP are NOT that.

His Oppo 93 has dsd capability I guess (sorry for spying on you :couch).

You beat me to it. I figured between my Oppo 93 and my receiver (via HDMI) it'd sort itself out. Having little experience with 3.0 I thought it was better to ask even though I listen to a fair bit of 5.1 music.

Glad to know I don't need to mess with DSP, changing settings, creating alternate profiles, etc.

Semi off topic question, does anyone know what Acoustic Sounds charge for shipment overseas? One cd, cheapest alternative? I'm so eager to get this, but can't locate it in Europe.

Semi off topic question, does anyone know what Acoustic Sounds charge for shipment overseas? One cd, cheapest alternative? I'm so eager to get this, but can't locate it in Europe.[/Q

Acoustic Sounds is the most expensive place even if you live in the US(unless you buy enough for free shipping)...you can find out before the purchase at acoustic sounds...go thru the checkout and you can request an email be sent to you prior to final checkout...it's in the SPECIAL SHIPPING INSTRUCTIONS section...and the cost you will be quoted does not include any custom fees for your country..look under SHIPPING here

Thanks! Looks like you directed to a different disc however, I meant Belafonte not Tony Bennett.

Is elusivedisc cheaper to Europe perhaps?

Back