Belafonte at Carnegie Hall: The Complete Concert in 3 Channel Stereo SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now In Stock: Belafonte at Carnegie Hall in 3 Channel SACD !

Belafonte at Carnegie Hall - In Stock - April 15 2015.jpg

Harry Belafonte - At Carnegie Hall (3 Channel Stereo, 2 SACD Disc Set, Analogue Productions CAPF-6006)
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...At_Carnegie_Hall-Hybrid_3-Channel_Stereo_SACD

Jeez, 40 bucks for 3 channel surround...I hope they don't apply that dollar to channel ratio to any of their 5.1 offerings...

Love the 3 Channel Stereo SACDs by Analogue Productions. Already have the ones by Ray Charles & Betty Wright, The Weavers and The Nat King Cole Story.

Love the Nat King Cole..and I'm borderline on Belafonte..I'm just not crazy about the content...I know it will sound good...how does it compare in sound quality to the Cole discs?

Love the Nat King Cole..and I'm borderline on Belafonte..I'm just not crazy about the content...I know it will sound good...how does it compare in sound quality to the Cole discs?

Well, I'd say it is the definitive version of the Belafonte at Carnegie Hall concert. Or "The Complete Concert" as the new SACD says on the cover.
Excellent sound, much better than the earlier RCA HK Hybrid Stereo SACD, and more songs (22 in all).

That's probably where you will have an issue. This SACD has almost 2 hours of Belafonte music on it (1 Hour 48 Minutes).
Probably not a place for someone who isn't a fan of the music. Now, I like the concert so it's a favorite here.... :)

See the new review at http://positive-feedback.com/Issue78/belafonte_carnagie.htm

Unusual for Analogue Productions: 3 extra tracks ... now I need to buy this. I'll wait until the next sale. I guess that would be Mother's Day.

I'd recommend this one only if you're a Belafonte fan and really want the treat this is going to be. Presenting the 3-channel concert in 5.0 (that is, background ambience) might have seemed sensible, but RCA's SACD approach was not to do that, but to take the original 3-track tapes (for the classical line) and present them as they were basically recorded, without an 'all around' sound. Not everyone will like that, but this is really as close as anyone will come to hearing the concert as recorded on tape. And given that this was a monster seller back in the day in both mono and stereo editions, the extra dynamic range and clarity are worth the price of this one alone, IMO.

ED :)

I'd recommend this one only if you're a Belafonte fan and really want the treat this is going to be. Presenting the 3-channel concert in 5.0 (that is, background ambience) might have seemed sensible, but RCA's SACD approach was not to do that, but to take the original 3-track tapes (for the classical line) and present them as they were basically recorded, without an 'all around' sound. Not everyone will like that, but this is really as close as anyone will come to hearing the concert as recorded on tape. And given that this was a monster seller back in the day in both mono and stereo editions, the extra dynamic range and clarity are worth the price of this one alone, IMO.

ED :)

Agreed.

The RCA HK Hybrid Stereo SACD had 15 tracks from the concert, the $60 2-disc K2 HD CD from JVC had 19 tracks from the concert and the new 3-Channel Stereo SACD from Analogue Productions has 22 tracks.

The new 3-Channel SACD is "The Complete Concert" as Analogue Productions labels it. They went back to the master tape (RCA HK did not for their SACD release) and that tape was a 3-Channel recording. So you get the original format (3 Channel) for the 1st time and the full concert, including an encore, some instrumental music and some words from Belafonte not available in the past.

As for making a 4 Channel recording out of a 3 Track Master, that has been done before for SACD (Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, etc.) but sometimes you get better results with a 3-Channel SACD or even a Stereo SACD or DSD Downloads edition.

With the remastered Multichannel SACD edition of "Time Out" by Dave Brubeck on Analogue Productions, that SACD gives you the original Multichannel mix from Sony on the Multichannel SACD layer. But they re-do the Stereo CD and Stereo SACD tracks and come up with a warmer and richer version of the tracks in Stereo. Worth the effort in my experience.

I can tell you that recently I was able to hear the highly hyped Meridian MQA version of "Time Out" at a pre-AXPONA demo of MQA on a $100,000 Meridian Audio Setup and a headphone demo in a nearby room in a high end audio shop in Silicon Valley. It was nowhere near as good as the new Stereo DSD Download of "Time Out" from AP on my home system - which cost me much less than $100K! :)

The bottom line: There are benefits from taking the time to handle these classic recordings carefully and do it right! :)

First picture on the web!

I had to study it a bit to confirm it was actually a SACD.

Attachments

• belafonte_sacd.jpg
    belafonte_sacd.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 142
  • belafonte_from_icloud_back.jpg
    belafonte_from_icloud_back.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
I am absolutely amazed that Analogue Productions followed my suggestion of putting the entire album on a single SACD. 109 minutes and 7 seconds. The 2-ch stereo and 3-ch stereo are the same length making the total SACD content 218 minutes and 14 seconds. The redbook content on Disk #1 is 48 minutes and some seconds. Disk #2 is a redbook containing the remaining redbook material not on the hybrid SACD.

Hope they do the PPM concert the same way.

Attachments

• belafonte_sacd_playingtime.jpg
    belafonte_sacd_playingtime.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 152
This one showed up in the mail today. And the new iPad Mini 2 I bought today takes fairly decent pictures.

Attachments

• belafonte_sacd.jpg
    belafonte_sacd.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 149
  • belafonte_from_icloud_disk.jpg
    belafonte_from_icloud_disk.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 123
  • belafonte_from_icloud_back.jpg
    belafonte_from_icloud_back.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Is there such an audio presentation? Makes no sense with 3 channels in stereo, does it? 3.0 Multichannel I would call it.

In the early days of Stereo recording (Nat King Cole, Ray Charles, Harry Belafonte, etc.) many of the recordings were made with 3 channels (Left, Center, Right) and not today's 2 channel stereo (Left and Right).
These 3 Channel recordings are referred to as 3-Channel Stereo.

Back