Amused to Death in 5.1 SACD Surround Sound !

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Acoustic Sounds announced today that Amused to Death by Roger Waters of Pink Floyd fame is coming out as a Hybrid Multichannel SACD. It will include a new 5.1 Surround Sound mix of the album by Pink Floyd producer/engineer James Guthrie.

The newly remastered Stereo tracks will also include QSound encoded Stereo tracks as the original did. So Quad fans with the Surround Master decoder/processor will be able to compare the album's original QSound mix to the new 5.1 Surround mix. Very cool!

Here's a portion of today's announcement from Analogue Productions:

Amused to Death was mixed by Pink Floyd's producer/engineer James Guthrie, and now, using those same analog tapes, he's mastering the album for SACD. And Doug Sax and Guthrie are working together to master the vinyl, to be pressed to perfection by Quality Record Pressings!

So rare are original pressings of Amused To Death that copies today sell for more than $800 in like-new condition. For this historic reissue there will be nothing spared. Let us reiterate: This edition is cut from the analog master tapes. James Guthrie is mastering his original stereo mix for SACD and he and Doug Sax are teaming up to master the vinyl version, to be pressed to perfection by Quality Record Pressings!

Amused To Death was originally mixed using QSound, a virtual surround sound, enhancing the spatial feel of the music along with the various sound effects sprinkled throughout the album. The Analogue Productions' reissue will faithfully preserve this three-dimensional experience.

Pink Floyd chose Acoustic Sounds and Analogue Productions to handle the exclusive distribution of the monumental 2012 SACD reissue of Wish You Were Here; today it remains one of the best sellers in our 25-year company history. The 5.1 surround mix by James Guthrie was so critically well-received, reviewers were effusive in their praise. Expect nothing less with the reissue of Amused To Death.

Waters enlists some striking studio partnerships: Don Henley joins him on vocals for "Watching TV," the National Philharmonic Orchestra leaps in for "Too Much Rope," and Rita Coolidge pops up during the title track. Waters also recruited for musical support legendary guitarist Jeff Beck. The quality of production by Waters, Nick Griffiths and Patrick Leonard is simply superb.

Working once again with James Guthrie to craft a vital reissue of a truly significant album is a great opportunity for Acoustic Sounds, says founder and CEO Chad Kassem.

"Whenever you get the chance to work with James Guthrie, it's exciting. Our goals are to produce the highest quality product possible," Kassem said. "I think we make a good team. He brings his expertise to the project, and I bring mine. When you get to work with the guy who worked on the album originally, and who you know is a perfectionist, it makes you excited and confident that the album will be the best it can be."

Amused to Death SACD.jpg
Amused to Death, Remastered Edition - Roger Waters (Hybrid Multichannel SACD, Analogue Productions CAPP 468761 SA)
Projected Availability Date: September 23, 2014
http://www.analogueproductions.com/index.cfm?do=detail&Title_ID=89110

Snood order placed on Amazon........25.93 and free shipping with Prime.

Was not a big fan of Pros and Cons.....but with all the great reviews of this album and the especially (hopefully) surround took the plunge. If it is not a discrete mix, then order will be canceled or sent back :banana:

Also bought a used CD of it for 1.50 plus sh. so I can get a taste. :banana:

I've just pre-ordered via amazon.com about $36 including postage to the UK, not bad at all!

http://news.acousticsounds.com/post.cfm/roger-waters-amused-to-death-in-5-1-surround

Great news! Can't wait to hear this one. One of my favorite albums and this actually excites me more than The Wall would have.

K

There has been talk of remixing The Wall into 5.1, so that could still happen down the road.

This Multichannel SACD edition will be interesting since it will have a remastered version of the QSound encoded Stereo tracks (for Surround Master owners) and a discrete 5.1 Surround Sound mix.

Very cool !

Snood listened to this on my commute back and forth to work..............looking forward to the 5.1 - Some decent Pinky sounding stuff toooooooo.

Snood listened to this on my commute to & from work..............looking forward to the 5.1 - Some decent Pinky sounding stuff toooooooo.

same here, v.exciting! The Wall has to be next! (I read somewhere the tapes are in bad shape tho.. :( )

A Hybrid Multichannel SACD of The Wall has been talked about for sometime. Work to put the tapes into a shape to do such a project is said to be making that a longer than expected project.

As to what is next, if another Pink Floyd Surround SACD sneaks ahead of The Wall, that wouldn't be a bad thing at all. Who knows, time will tell.

Since most people here who have heard Guthries 5.1 mixes have not commented favorably on them, I wonder how this will turn out. Here, there will be no quad mix to compare it to. But there is the Q sound which I haven't heard yet. I've bought the regular cd since I don't know this music and want to see what Q sound is like, especially thru the Marantz Varimatrix

I hope the mix is better than the "big stereo" mixes Guthrie did on DSOTM & WYWH - colour me unimpressed by both of those mixes.
I've - somewhere - got a version of this decoded from the Q-Sound to 4-channel. Must go dig for it,.....

I hope the mix is better than the "big stereo" mixes Guthrie did on DSOTM & WYWH - colour me unimpressed by both of those mixes.
I've - somewhere - got a version of this decoded from the Q-Sound to 4-channel. Must go dig for it,.....

How on earth can you say that both of those mixes are "big stereo"? I think that the DSOTM mix could be a little more "immersive" myself, but I was extremely impressed with the "Wish You Were Here" mix, which is FAR from "big stereo" IMO...

Back