• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Selling SACD & DVD-A collection for a good cause

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
My love for music started with my parents, and in my early teens my mom let me have her record collection, which got me in to bands like Steely Dan, Chicago, Deep Purple and a million others...it was like my gateway in to 'real' music. Some years later, in the early 2000's, my sister and I bought her one of those Sony all-in-one SACD/DVD home theatre in a box setups as a Christmas present because I knew how many of the bands we both liked were available in high resolution surround.

Over the next 10 years she amassed a nice little collection, but in 2006 she got a pretty aggressive form of cancer and in the aftermath of her 18 month recovery period she lost her job and was forced to declare bankruptcy. More recently her Sony system bit the dust and we just don't have the money to replace it for her, so her surround collection is sitting on the shelf gathering dust. I told her about the market for these discs and we agreed that I'd sell them so we can try and get her retirement savings started again.

Below is a list of her collection. I'd really like to sell it as one big lot, but I'll entertain offers for some or part of it too. It probably goes without saying that I think my mom is a strong and incredible woman, and I'm looking to get as much money for her collection as possible, so please bear that in mind if you're interested in anything. Having said that, I am reasonable, and I will let the whole collection go for a fair price if it means I can avoid eBay fees. I'll probably take offers for the next week or so, and make decisions next weekend. If the offers aren't high enough, this stuff will be going on eBay.

If you're interested in anything, send me a private message. I can provide pictures of specific titles on request.

BLU-RAY
Van Morrison - Moondance (BluRay + 4CD Box set - Sealed)

DVD-AUDIO

The Band - Music From Big Pink
The Beatles - Love (CD+DVDA)
Beck - Sea Change (incl 6 music videos not on the SACD or BluRay)
Jackson Browne - Running On Empty (CD+DVDA) (scratch on cover)
David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name (CD+DVDA)
Donald Fagen - Nightfly
Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad
Donald Fagen - Morph The Cat (CD+DVDA)
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (CD+DVDA)
Marvin Gaye - The Marvin Gaye Collection
Taj Mahal - Live At Ronnie Scotts
Joni Mitchell - Both Sides Now
Steely Dan - Everything Must Go
Yes - Fragile
Neil Young - Harvest

DVD-V & DTS

Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle (30th Anniv. DVD-V)
Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed (DTS CD)

SACD

Sony Music Multichannel SACD sampler 2001 (James Taylor, Midori/Eschenbach/Imai Mozart, Miles Davis, Roger Waters) (cat # 4-237-607-01)
Sony Music Super Audio CD sampler 2002 [Stereo/Multi-Ch] (12 tracks) (cat # ESS 58943)

Ryan Adams - Gold (stereo/multichannel)
Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker (MFSL hybrid stereo SACD)
Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach (hybrid stereo/multichannel)
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust (hybrid stereo/multichannel)
Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company (hybrid stereo/multichannel)
Deep Purple - Machine Head (UK hybrid stereo/multichannnel)
Derek and the Dominos - Layla (hybrid stereo/multichannel)
Al Dimeola - Flesh On Flesh (hybrid multichannel)
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (stereo/multichannel)
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited (hybrid stereo)
Bob Dylan - Slow Train Coming (hybrid stereo/multichannel)
Bob Dylan - Desire (hybrid stereo)
Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' (hybrid stereo)
Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding (hybrid stereo)
Bob Dylan - Planet Waves (hybrid stereo)
Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde (hybrid stereo/multichannel)
Earth Wind & Fire - That's The Way Of The World: Alive In '75 (stereo/multichannel)
Bryan Ferry - Boys And Girls (hybrid stereo/multichannel)
Peter Gabriel - Up (hybrid stereo/multichannel)
Billy Joel - The Stranger (stereo/multichannel)
Billy Joel - 52nd Street (stereo/multichannel)
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition 2xSACD (hybrid stereo/multichannel)
Elton John - Self-Titled (hybrid stereo/multichannel)
Elton John - Madman Across The Water (hybrid stereo/multichannel)
Elton John - Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy (hybrid stereo/multichannel)
Elton John - Honky Chateau (hybrid stereo/multichannel)
Carole King - Tapestry (stereo/multichannel)
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (hybrid stereo/multichannel)
The Police - Every Breath You Take: The Classics (hybrid stereo/multichannel)
Roxy Music - Avalon (hybrid stereo/multichannel)
Steely Dan - Gaucho (hybrid stereo/multichannel)
James Taylor - Dad Loves His Work (hybrid stereo/multichannel)
James Taylor - JT (stereo/multichannel)
James Taylor - Hourglass (stereo/multichannel)
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood (stereo SACD only)
Jeff Wayne - War Of The Worlds (2x hybrid stereo/multichannel)
Paul Weller - Studio 150 (hybrid stereo/multichannel)
Johnny Winter - The Best Of (stereo SACD only)

SACD CLASSICAL & OPERA

Schubert - 8th & 9th Symphonies (Living Stereo hybrid stereo/multichannel)
Tchaikovsky - Symphony #6: Pathetique (Living Stereo hybrid stereo)
Beethoven/Mendelssohn - Concertos (Heifetz/Munch) (Living Stereo hybrid stereo/multichannel)
Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique (Living Stereo hybrid stereo/multichannel)
Luciano Pavarotti - Ti Adoro (hybrid stereo/multichannel)

collection1.jpg
collection2.jpg

Sorry to hear about your Mom Steely :(

She sounds like a pretty koo Lady (y)

Your Mom and entire family will be in my prayers.

That's a formidable collection. Although most of the titles are of interest to me, I already own the titles I'm interested in.

Best of luck in selling them.

Lots of great titles that are rare, sought after and valuable. I'm sure you'll raise a lot of money for Mum (y)

to me this is what this community is all about, looking out for one another. we'd all love to see Quad & 5.1 music take off big time but the truth is we are a minority, Quad & surround its a small world and round here we need to look out for our own.

I spend a lot of time and money on myself with this hobby (as everybody here knows) but I also spend a lot of time and energy (and a few quid too) trying to help out other QQ-ers whether its in help finding a lot of this hard to find OOP stuff for them or just buying their stuff they no longer want etc., which I prefer to buying cold on eBay etc. although that's not always possible.

to my mind, its keeping it all within our group, such a good thing. the condition and quality of stuff I've bought from folks on here has always been absolutely top tier (GabeL, Robert van Diggele, Nietbiggen, tiso, steelydave, LizardKing, dr. simple, mch007 are all QQ members I've either bought from or swapped stuff with, I can vouch for them all).. there's a reassuring level of trust buying from or trading with long time QQ members that you just don't get with some random seller on Amazon marketplace or what have you. (PM sent to Dave btw! I'm in on this and putting my money where my big mouth is!)

Probably worth mentioning too, I know that Jon would like to see the iTrader functionality of QQ used more by members (he told me so in a PM ages ago and I haven't forgotten, I try to make use of it as much as poss) its a really great feature of QQ that is underused. I couldn't think of a better use for it than something like raising funds for Dave's Mother's recuperation after such illness. I love this place.

I hope your fund raising goes well and best of luck to your mother and the rest of your family in supporting her. I am going to evaluate my finances and see what I have to play with and get in touch when I know. Regardless, you have a very nice collection and I am sure you will have no problem selling it.

My best wishes for your mum, I do hope she gets over completely very soon. Also for you and your family, I think I may know how you feel as I unfortunately I've seen too much cancer in my close relatives lately.
I'll send you a PM tomorrow with the list of Items that interest me, hope I can help!

Sorry to hear about your Mom Steelydave.

Not sure if this idea is any good but I'll throw it out there...what about a QQ Auction??

Over the next 10 years she amassed a nice little collection, but in 2006 she got a pretty aggressive form of cancer and in the aftermath of her 18 month recovery period she lost her job and was forced to declare bankruptcy. More recently her Sony system bit the dust and we just don't have the money to replace it for her, so her surround collection is sitting on the shelf gathering dust. I told her about the market for these discs and we agreed that I'd sell them so we can try and get her retirement savings started again.

I hope I don't sound off base here but wouldn't she miss her music collection that is irreplaceable and took so long to collect? I'm wondering if we should start a donation to help get your Mother another audio system. It doesn't have to be brand new. Lots of good used stuff on the market. I know, I could not live without my tunes! Either that, or we help donate to her retirement. Just a thought!:)

I hope I don't sound off base here but wouldn't she miss her music collection that is irreplaceable and took so long to collect? I'm wondering if we should start a donation to help get your Mother another audio system. It doesn't have to be brand new. Lots of good used stuff on the market. I know, I could not live without my tunes! Either that, or we help donate to her retirement. Just a thought!:)

That would work toooo :banana:

Thank you everyone for all the interest, and especially the good wishes. I really wasn't expecting the outpouring of support on a personal level when I posted this!

My mom is doing well and has been cancer free for a few years now - the doctors used a pretty aggressive treatment regime and it's paid off. She goes for followup appointments at the hospital every 12 or 18 months and the doctors haven't found any signs of any recurrence.

We spoke about the possibility of buying a new surround system and keeping her discs, but she had to move in to a much smaller apartment after her bankruptcy, and there just isn't room for a surround system any more. She has a nice little stereo system and an extensive collection of CDs and mp3s and is happy with that for the most part. The truth is that she's in her early 60's now and with a finite number of working years left, every penny she can put away now will mean a more comfortable retirement for her.

Thank you to everyone who's sent me a private message so far - I'm going to take offers for 2 or 3 more days and then I'll start making decisions about which offers to accept. If you're interested in anything please send me a message, there's still time.

Keep in mind that many of these discs have quality stereo layers. All your mom would need is a used universal player hooked up to the existing stereo system to keep the music that she knows. If money gets tight, sell bits of the collection as needed. Just a thought along the lines of Perpendicular above.

Keep in mind that many of these discs have quality stereo layers. All your mom would need is a used universal player hooked up to the existing stereo system to keep the music that she knows. If money gets tight, sell bits of the collection as needed. Just a thought along the lines of Perpendicular above.

I pray your mom is ok. family is the most important thing there is.

I'd be interested in the david bowie and the deep purple if you decide to sell them seperately.

Hi steelydave,

I am saddned to hear about your mom. I've had a real challenge as well with the Big C, so I understand... Every day of life is precious indeed!

I hope you do well selling your mom's collection. I already have all the 5.1 I need, but she does have a marvelous collection!

God Speed.

DennisMoore

I sent out all the PMs to interested parties a few days ago and there are a lot of people who haven't replied. If you're interested in purchasing something please let me know in the next day or so, otherwise everything unclaimed is going up on eBay!

Thanks to everyone who's bought something so far, I've raised nearly $1000 for my mom's retirement fund! However, I've also had a lot of deals fall through, and a lot of people who stopped replying to private messages. As a result, I still have the following discs available - please note that prices are firm unless you're interested in buying a big lot of discs. First offer at the asking price gets them - I plan to list the remaining discs on eBay on Monday so if you're interested in anything get in touch soon.

BLU-RAY

Van Morrison - Moondance (1xBluRay/4xCD Box Set) - $45

DVD-AUDIO

The Band - Music From Big Pink - $35
Beck - Sea Change $70
Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad $65
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (CD+DVDA) $35
Marvin Gaye - The Marvin Gaye Collection $20
Taj Mahal - Live At Ronnie Scotts $5
Steely Dan - Everything Must Go $35
Yes - Fragile $75

DVD-V & DTS

Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle (30th Anniv. DVD-V) $15
Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed (DTS CD) $40

SACD MULTI-CHANNEL

Sony Music Multichannel SACD sampler 2001 (James Taylor, Midori/Eschenbach/Imai Mozart, Miles Davis, Roger Waters) (cat # 4-237-607-01) $20

Sony Music Super Audio CD sampler 2002 [Stereo/Multichannel] (12 tracks) (cat # ESS 58943) $35

Ryan Adams - Gold (stereo/multichannel)- $35
Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker (Mobile Fidelity hybrid stereo SACD) - $45
Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach (hybrid stereo/multichannel) - $15
Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company (hybrid stereo/multichannel) $20
Deep Purple - Machine Head (UK hybrid stereo/multichannnel) - $70
Al Dimeola - Flesh On Flesh (hybrid multichannel) - $35
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (stereo/multichannel) - $17
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited (hybrid stereo) - $10
Bob Dylan - Desire (hybrid stereo) $10
Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' (hybrid stereo) $10
Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding (hybrid stereo) $7
Bob Dylan - Planet Waves (hybrid stereo) $10
Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde (hybrid stereo/multichannel) $15
Earth Wind & Fire - That's The Way Of The World: Alive In '75 (stereo/multichannel) $45
Peter Gabriel - Up (hybrid stereo/multichannel) $80
Billy Joel - The Stranger (stereo/multichannel) $80
Elton John - Self-Titled (hybrid stereo/multichannel) $12
Elton John - Madman Across The Water (hybrid stereo/multichannel) $14
Elton John - Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy (hybrid stereo/multichannel) $14
Elton John - Honky Chateau (hybrid stereo/multichannel) $14
Carole King - Tapestry (stereo/multichannel) - $60
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (hybrid stereo/multichannel) $12
The Police - Every Breath You Take: The Classics (hybrid stereo/multichannel) $30
Steely Dan - Gaucho (hybrid stereo/multichannel) $12
James Taylor - JT (stereo/multichannel) $40
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood (stereo SACD only) $25
Jeff Wayne - War Of The Worlds (2xSACD) $15
Paul Weller - Studio 150 (hybrid stereo/multichannel) $25
Johnny Winter - The Best Of (stereo SACD only) $30

SACD CLASSICAL & OPERA

Schubert - 8th & 9th Symphonies (Living Stereo hybrid stereo/multichannel) $7
Tchaikovsky - Symphony #6: Pathetique (Living Stereo hybrid stereo) $7
Beethoven/Mendelssohn - Concertos (Heifetz/Munch) (Living Stereo hybrid stereo/multichannel) $7
Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique (Living Stereo hybrid stereo/multichannel) $7
Luciano Pavarotti - Ti Adoro (hybrid stereo/multichannel) $40

Steelydave, it is good to hear she made it thru the cancer treatment and came out okay with time left. Time left is all that is important. Have to ask, did the medical bills sent her to bankruptcy?

Back