Steve Hoffman forums full of CRAZY stereo obsessed people!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could care less about instrument placement; just give me clean dynamic sound and I'm happy. The idea of certain instruments needing to be in certain places is an antiquated concept IMO.

I mostly agree with this but putting lead vocals in the rears rarely works for me. Any instruments can go in the surround speakers but some work better than others depending on the material.

I think for Classical MultiChannel Music many listeners share your mindset and prefer surround mixes that represent the acoustics of the space the music was recorded in.. but for rock and pop those kinds of very discrete mixes like the Machine Head Quad which you dislike are just the kind of surround mixes many of us here and elsewhere with rock/pop tastes absolutely crave :)

I pretty much always dislike when lead guitars are stuck in the surrounds. I don't mind if they 'visit' them occasionally during a lead.

anyway, back to the SHF.. it looks like I've been subject to a gagging order, as I can no longer post as of this morning (I'm guessing it was from last night when I jokingly referred to an EJ track, "Slow Rivers", as "Blow Givers".. oh how I hate that song!) :eek:

anyway, back to the SHF.. it looks like I've been subject to a gagging order, as I can no longer post as of this morning (I'm guessing it was from last night when I jokingly referred to an EJ track, "Slow Rivers", as "Blow Givers".. oh how I hate that song!) :eek:
If you want to loan me your userid I'll see to it that you're permanently banned.

Didn't work for me. OTOH, the Tacet DVD-A (probably on SACD by now) of the Bach Motets remains hair-raising after all these years: The opening Motet is formatted so that the MLP is in the front row of the chorus with the ambiance of the hall in front. The others are similarly presented with novel perspectives but, imho, none are as successful as the first.

This sounds very intriguing and I've placed an order. Can you or Werno comment on the Tacet Brandenburg release?

Red Card.jpg
;)

This sounds very intriguing and I've placed an order. Can you or Werno comment on the Tacet Brandenburg release?

Wish I could help you, the only 2 Tacet releases I've heard are the aforementioned Ravel collection and 'Crossing the Channel', subtitled 'Music from Medieval France & England, 10th-13th century'. In the latter case I was expecting a little more variety, turns out it's an ensemble of 4 women (2 sopranos, 2 mezzo sopranos) so by the end I'm always wishing they'd managed to toss a couple male voices, a lute, some other texture to spice it up a bit. But beautifully ambient surround recording, and you gotta love the diagrams of which singer stood where for each piece (in a couple instances the singers walked around while singing, so the diagram starts to look like a football play with arrows to indicate each singer's trajectory). When I'm in a medieval liturgical mood it gets the job done.

Sorry, off topic again. Those damn SH forum stereo crazies would hate this recording.... there, I tried.

Back