DKA Upmixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbhendrix

Hello forum! I am completely new to the surround sound world and am going to be getting my first 5.1 system this summer. In the meantime i can't help but start collecting misc 5.1 mixes from blu ray audios, dvd audios & DKA surround up mixes.

Does anywhere here also collect the DKA up mixes? I've been trying to download a handful of them online and they are extremely hard to come by but i do have a decent amount.

Would anyone here want to privately swap DKA lists and privately trade DKA mixes? :cool:

Welcome to QQ. This inquiry is best handled in private message form only. I will send the details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, upmixes are not my first go to titles, but I appreciate the work that goes into them. I'm a friend to all, and DKA. In DKA's defense, that's just the perspective that have brought many onto their journey to surround in all of it's forms. Also, have to remember it was not that long ago there was hardly anything surround to buy or not that much variety of certain titles or genres. Other titles had to percolate over time to be noticed.

Also, many tiles have their Multi-tracks missing or lost for good, and an upmix is the closest one will ever get to anything approaching surround. I have heard some great upmixes that one would be hard presses to tell it was not from a Multi-Track source.

Finally, one has to remember or go back mentally in a time machine and know that from day one of the Quadraphonic era that the promise from Quad was that you would be still able to play one's stereo records through even the least expensive Quad equipment. Folks would listen as "double stereo," when they merely bought an extra stereo AMP and two more speakers. We also created an instant upmix of sorts by playing a stereo record through Quad Matrix and one did get enjoyable results. It was a new thing for the home. Not that primitive by today's standards and it worked good enough.

Of course today we're spoiled by well mastered Hi-Rez 24/96 sound from new 5.1 mixes or Vintage Quadraphonic. And like I said, upmixs are not my first go to choice, but do appreciate the work that went into them and they served a purpose of getting us through the lean times of no surround titles coming out. Some, like "Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland" decoded as QS still stand strong on their own.

Well, upmixes are not my first go to titles, but I appreciate the work that goes into them. I'm a friend to all, and DKA. In DKA's defense, that's just the perspective that have brought many onto their journey to surround in all of it's forms. Also, have to remember it was not that long ago there was hardly anything surround to buy or not that much variety of certain titles or genres. Other titles had to percolate over time to be noticed.

Also, many tiles have their Multi-tracks missing or lost for good, and an upmix is the closest one will ever get to anything approaching surround. I have heard some great upmixes that one would be hard presses to tell it was not from a Multi-Track source.

Finally, one has to remember or go back mentally in a time machine and know that from day one of the Quadraphonic era that the promise from Quad was that you would be still able to play one's stereo records through even the least expensive Quad equipment. Folks would listen as "double stereo," when they merely bought an extra stereo AMP and two more speakers. We also created an instant upmix of sorts by playing a stereo record through Quad Matrix and one did get enjoyable results. It was a new thing for the home. Not that primitive by today's standards and it worked good enough.

Of course today we're spoiled by well mastered Hi-Rez 24/96 sound from new 5.1 mixes or Vintage Quadraphonic. And like I said, upmixs are not my first go to choice, but do appreciate the work that went into them and they served a purpose of getting us through the lean times of no surround titles coming out. Some, like "Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland" decoded as QS still stand strong on their own.

Do you have DKA's mixes of the Slayer and Stevie Wonder title? Is he back doing more mixes now? If so I would be happy to contribute financially for more.

Do you have DKA's mixes of the Slayer and Stevie Wonder title? Is he back doing more mixes now? If so I would be happy to contribute financially for more.

I have not heard from DKA in awhile, hope he is doing well. DKA is very passionate abut surround as well as the other great folks from the upmix community at Surroundbyus.com, putting in crazy hard work just to get things the way they hear it. I find it interesting what they were going for and the perspective what a surround mix could be. They have put in years of hard, dedicated work.

DKA rates high in my book as an upmixer. One of the best. Another one who is excellent is QQ member holland123 who has done incredible upmixes on tons of non-available-in-surround albums.

DKA is the best. A genius. Love his upmix of Ambrosia's 1st album. Wish he did more old school upmixes though like Spirit's 7 Dreams. But no matter what, he is a treasure.

I have not heard from DKA in awhile, hope he is doing well. DKA is very passionate abut surround as well as the other great folks from the upmix community at Surroundbyus.com, putting in crazy hard work just to get things the way they hear it. I find it interesting what they were going for and the perspective what a surround mix could be. They have put in years of hard, dedicated work.

He stopped doing them nearly 2 years ago. He was on facebook but his page is gone.

Hey folks...

I was tipped off to this message, and wanted to reply.

#1, thank you for the kind words. It's always good to hear, even if I am somewhat removed at the moment.

#2, I am doing just fine.

For the time being, yes, I am out of the game, but it's for a good reason. In the past two years, I've moved to a new state (in Jon's neck of the woods) and spend the majority of my time being daddy to my beautiful, brilliant four year-old son. Spare time isn't what it used to be and, while we're in the process of buying a house, I don't even have a dedicated 5.1 system set up (did buy myself a top-notch soundbar in the interim, though.)

Will I get back to the game? It's possible. I do want to start new with my home theater system the moment we truly have a house to call our own, and what being a parent means surely shifts as your child gets old (we've also had some speech struggles with my son, which included spending two years ruling out autism - he's fine, he's excelling, no worries, just talks a bit less for now, but getting better every day.) Perhaps that gives me more time to do more in the sound arena. For now, though, I rely on whatever is out there to stay out there, and an incredibly grateful and touched to be still mentioned on places like these. Thank you.

Are you still collecting that crap that DKA is making...If you like that fake surround sound instead of collecting his crap its so easy to make your own Just find a copy of AVS audio editor then your able to take any MP3 file and turn it into a DKA crap file. But i cant understand if you have a true 5.1 system why wouldn't you want true surround sound

Different strokes, dude.

This stuff used to bother me. Not concerned anymore.

Hey folks...

#1, thank you for the kind words. It's always good to hear, even if I am somewhat removed at the moment.

For the time being, yes, I am out of the game, but it's for a good reason. In the past two years, I've moved to a new state (in Jon's neck of the woods) and spend the majority of my time being daddy to my beautiful, brilliant four year-old son. Spare time isn't what it used to be and, while we're in the process of buying a house, I don't even have a dedicated 5.1 system set up (did buy myself a top-notch soundbar in the interim, though.)

Will I get back to the game? It's possible. I do want to start new with my home theater system the moment we truly have a house to call our own, and what being a parent means surely shifts as your child gets old (we've also had some speech struggles with my son, which included spending two years ruling out autism - he's fine, he's excelling, no worries, just talks a bit less for now, but getting better every day.) Perhaps that gives me more time to do more in the sound arena. For now, though, I rely on whatever is out there to stay out there, and an incredibly grateful and touched to be still mentioned on places like these. Thank you.

I joined here after you were on your sabbatical but you certainly made your mark on here...a lot of respect from members about your work on upmixes...good to see you are "alive and well" and you certainly have your priorities in the proper order in regards to your family...LIVE LONG AND PROSPER...

Hey folks...

Welcome to Connecticut.

Hey folks...

Great stuff. I hope you do get back in the game.

There's some damn good upmixers on the site I visit, but they do not have the sense to DL the best source first. Mostly done from horrendous remastered CDS.

The kkkid... holy cccrap, outstanding to hear from you old friend, and with a four year old son, simply beautiful. You really need to get that sound system back together and pop one of those upmixes of yours in, preferably one with a good beat and watch that little guy get busy. I have 4, 3, and 2 yr old grandchildren and when papa Kevin is babysitting we get dowwwn. The little ones really react to a good sound system, its awesome to watch how they light up to music, and they each have their favorites, good therapy for all. Btw your mix of something, anything still gets regular play, (shhh it's better than the quad) what? Who said that? in fact a couple of the tracks are one of my 2 yr old granddaughters favs.
Enjoy these times with that little guy J, they go by way too fast, love ya man,

Back