DKA Upmixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The kkkid... holy cccrap, outstanding to hear from you old friend, and with a four year old son, simply beautiful. You really need to get that sound system back together and pop one of those upmixes of yours in, preferably one with a good beat and watch that little guy get busy. I have 4, 3, and 2 yr old grandchildren and when papa Kevin is babysitting we get dowwwn. The little ones really react to a good sound system, its awesome to watch how they light up to music, and they each have their favorites, good therapy for all. Btw your mix of something, anything still gets regular play, (shhh it's better than the quad) what? Who said that? in fact a couple of the tracks are one of my 2 yr old granddaughters favs.
Enjoy these times with that little guy J, they go by way too fast, love ya man,

Oh, I plan on getting my audio game on better than ever at some point, hopefully in the next 12-18 months.

Actually, about eight months ago, in order to have some semblance of good audio in the house, I picked up a "damaged" Atlantic Technology soundbar at 50% off, for about $699.....I swear there's not a blemish on the thing, and it does pack a wallop. Doesn't really get cranked up much, but it's what I'm relying on at the moment.

My son had a very big Beatles phase for a while, and he'll sing "All Together Now" in its entirety for you, if you'd like. He's definitely a child of modern technology, though. Thinks every screen is a touchscreen.

Great to hear from you. I promise not to be too much of a stranger.

Ok kid, it's out of respect for you and the fact that you were one of my spec mentors that I am now going to completely forget that you used "good audio and soundbaa..." in the same sentence ( I can't even say the word). However, because you are also teaching the little guy to dig the beatles, you are hereby redeemed. Now Go say three - "what you're doing"s, two - "getting betters" and one " day in the life".

I have literally just found DKA's upmix of Massive Attack's Blue lines! I have been looking for this for a year. It baffles me why surround fans on here do not seek these out, some act like snobs. So what if the original tapes are not used. Many have the tapes and still do crappy mixes! Just enjoy!

Now if I can find Reign in Blood 5.1 I would be happy........

I have literally just found DKA's upmix of Massive Attack's Blue lines! I have been looking for this for a year. It baffles me why surround fans on here do not seek these out, some act like snobs. So what if the original tapes are not used. Many have the tapes and still do crappy mixes! Just enjoy!

Now if I can find Reign in Blood 5.1 I would be happy........

It's simple...haters gonna hate...some of these people that object couldn't tell the difference and probably already own material that has upmix included and aren't aware of it...

Ok kid, it's out of respect for you and the fact that you were one of my spec mentors that I am now going to completely forget that you used "good audio and soundbaa..." in the same sentence ( I can't even say the word).

Desperate times, dude. :)

I can only speak for myself but I just can't be bothered with the whole torrent/download thing. It's a "how I want to spend my time" issue and has nothing to do with DKA's abilities or the mixes he produces.

Absolutely one of the reasons why what's out there may be it. That world has changed. A lot. Not interested in keeping up.

So great to know you're doing well, DKA! Been wondering as well where you'd gone off to :)

As others have said, you're ever-present in this board, simply by rep.

As for upmixes... I've tried a few over the years, and some did excite me, while others left me cold. I wonder if we ever compiled a list of "best" upmixes? From this thread, I gather that DKA's "Thriller" is amazing, as is "Ten" by somebody named Kevin. Found "Thriller" but haven't been able to listen to it yet. No idea how to get my hands on "Ten", but obviously that could be figured out for any mix after I know it's worth the bother.

Would you guys be willing to name your personal favourites, and your reasons for "favouriting" them (sources, quality...)?

Personally, I heard a version of Thriller a while back that I loved, in fact I posted about it, but can't find the thread right now. I thought it was real for a while, but we discussed it and eventually, I heard the "flanging" effect some of you guys mentioned that comes when trying to isolate elements from stereo. I could never un-hear it after that. o_O

I also had an upmix of "Abbey Road" that was quite cool, but of course, there's Bob's real 5.1 mix for that, so no comparison.

Anyway... Ranting aside, this is just another facet of an incredible community and testament to the love, passion and commitment of the people in it.

I can only speak for myself but I just can't be bothered with the whole torrent/download thing. It's a "how I want to spend my time" issue and has nothing to do with DKA's abilities or the mixes he produces.

Takes me 1 minute to go on site, click on what I want to DL. New upmixes are put up daily, I am already logged in. Takes no time at all.

So great to know you're doing well, DKA! Been wondering as well where you'd gone off to :)

As for upmixes... I've tried a few over the years, and some did excite me, while others left me cold. I wonder if we ever compiled a list of "best" upmixes? From this thread, I gather that DKA's "Thriller" is amazing, as is "Ten" by somebody named Kevin. Found "Thriller" but haven't been able to listen to it yet. No idea how to get my hands on "Ten", but obviously that could be figured out for any mix after I know it's worth the bother.

Would you guys be willing to name your personal favourites, and your reasons for "favouriting" them (sources, quality...)?

Personally, I heard a version of Thriller a while back that I loved, in fact I posted about it, but can't find the thread right now. I thought it was real for a while, but we discussed it and eventually, I heard the "flanging" effect some of you guys mentioned that comes when trying to isolate elements from stereo. I could never un-hear it after that. o_O

I also had an upmix of "Abbey Road" that was quite cool, but of course, there's Bob's real 5.1 mix for that, so no comparison.

Anyway... Ranting aside, this is just another facet of an incredible community and testament to the love, passion and commitment of the people in it.

Yes Thriller is brilliant!

I have JUST listened to DVD R(SACD R) of DL Zeppelin II upmixed from real to real tape! Bass is insane. Sounds better than anything officially released.

Dio Holy Diver; upmixed from original CD. Mid range not as open as Steve Hoffman's master but great surround upmixing. Nice bass(much deeper than on any other version I have heard), drum rolls going into rears; brilliant.
Opeth Damnation upmixed from 24/96 vinyl rip. Sounds great.
Hendrix Band Of Gypsys done from remaster. Drums in rears with bass, vocals and guitar in front. Nice to hear the drum rolls going from speaker to speaker.
Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers done from SHM SACD PCM files by Kevin.
Boston see above
Zappa Grand Wazoo done from excellent vinyl rip by Kevin.
Apocalyptica 7th symphony; from CD, which is pretty compressed unfortunately, but the upmix is excellent.
Alicia Keys Diary; from CD, not too compressed, very immersive.

I remember "Thriller" just fitting method perfectly. Madonna's "Music" was another one where I couldn't believe how much you could get out of the stereo. Always fun when I'd come across an album like that.

I too have enjoyed many upmixes by both DKA and Holland123. I have thanked them both in the past for all of their very fine work. Seeing them both on this thread I would like to leap at the opportunity to thank them both very much again. I would absolutely look forward to more titles from you both.

DKA's Music by Madonna may be the most immersive upmix I have ever heard. Outstanding.

...Would you guys be willing to name your personal favourites, and your reasons for "favouriting" them (sources, quality...)?

I tried a few of these upmixes a few years ago, and decided they weren't my cup of tea. But my surround setup was not so good at the time. Since then I've done a major upgrade, and everything sounds so much better that I recently decided to give them another listen.

I haven't messed with Plogue Bidule or any of the other methods (man, there just ain't enough time in a day anymore!), but I hear what seems to be a somewhat common effect whereby the L-R stereo field is expanded and "wrapped around" in a way that puts the more widely-panned sounds in the rears. (I'm sure this is an oversimplification, but that's what it sounds like.) This effect is not so successful with conventional studio pop/rock music with the standard panned drum kit etc. For example, I heard a redo of Aja that started out with the hi-hat all by itself in the right rear - not exactly an improvement on the stereo mix.

But with less conventional music, this same treatment can be quite pleasing. I've heard an upmix of one of my old faves, Jon Anderson's Olias of Sunhillow, done by someone named Eye of Horus (EoH), that is really beautiful in my opinion. Another, Laurie Anderson's Mister Heartbreak (done by "XTC343"), seems to have a similar procedure applied, and it sounds great as well, except the surround levels are a bit too hot on that one. Both of these can probably still be located with your favorite nzb searcher and a decent NNTP server... :lookaround

I intend to continue trying these; some of them are very enjoyable. I'm definitely going to seek out DKA's Thriller, seeing the high marks it gets here. Thanks for the tip, folks.

Yup, I agree. I haven't been around long, but I like it here. Good people. Of course it probably doesn't hurt that a lot of us seem to be about the same "vintage." :)

-- Jim

Last edited:
not sure if it was a DKA upmix but the B-52's first album is great

What is the advantage of an upmix as opposed to creating a 7.1 surround sound field from a 2-channel source using Logic7 or DPLIIx? (I know that Steven Wilson has used Penteo Surround on tracks where only the 2-channel tapes were available. I also obtained the Penteo demo files from John way back when, and the system definitely separated the 2 channel source into four discreet channels.)

Yup, I agree. I haven't been around long, but I like it here. Good people. Of course it probably doesn't hurt that a lot of us seem to be about the same "vintage." :)

-- Jim

:howl:howl Snood only 15.......or was that backwards............hell me dunno, it feels like 15 though :banana:

Back