DKA Upmixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried a few of these upmixes a few years ago, and decided they weren't my cup of tea. But my surround setup was not so good at the time. Since then I've done a major upgrade, and everything sounds so much better that I recently decided to give them another listen.

I haven't messed with Plogue Bidule or any of the other methods (man, there just ain't enough time in a day anymore!), but I hear what seems to be a somewhat common effect whereby the L-R stereo field is expanded and "wrapped around" in a way that puts the more widely-panned sounds in the rears. (I'm sure this is an oversimplification, but that's what it sounds like.) This effect is not so successful with conventional studio pop/rock music with the standard panned drum kit etc. For example, I heard a redo of Aja that started out with the hi-hat all by itself in the right rear - not exactly an improvement on the stereo mix.

But with less conventional music, this same treatment can be quite pleasing. I've heard an upmix of one of my old faves, Jon Anderson's Olias of Sunhillow, done by someone named Eye of Horus (EoH), that is really beautiful in my opinion. Another, Laurie Anderson's Mister Heartbreak (done by "XTC343"), seems to have a similar procedure applied, and it sounds great as well, except the surround levels are a bit too hot on that one. Both of these can probably still be located with your favorite nzb searcher and a decent NNTP server... :lookaround

I intend to continue trying these; some of them are very enjoyable. I'm definitely going to seek out DKA's Thriller, seeing the high marks it gets here. Thanks for the tip, folks.

Yup, I agree. I haven't been around long, but I like it here. Good people. Of course it probably doesn't hurt that a lot of us seem to be about the same "vintage." :)

-- Jim

EoH (Dutch guy that I know pretty well) also did Thriller from the SACD, that one sounds very good as well. There's an upmix out there from Supertramp - Crime Of The Century done by SchEngel if I remember correctly and that one sounds fantastic too.

:howl:howl Snood only 15.......or was that backwards............hell me dunno, it feels like 15 though :banana:

Hee!

By the way, just noticed:

SnoodBand.gif

Looks like your left banana has been watching too much Beavis and Butthead! :)

-- Jim

I'm interested in trying out some more upmixes. The only two I obtained, by accident, are Todd Rundgren, Hermit of Mink Hollow, which is pretty damn good, and Metallica, Kill thru Bkack Album, which I don't remember being so good.
I'll search for some DKA!
I wonder if anybody has attempted classic Rush? Caress of Steel... Hemi... P-Waves!!! GUP!!!!!

Changed my search parameters and have managed to find a few that look viable.
Still, if anyone has info on where to find highly-rated upmixes, I'd love to embark on that journey. Sounds like an awful lot of work that sometimes turns out very well and deserves to be appreciated!

I've heard a few really good upmixes and a few pretty bad ones too. It can be a bit hit and miss but I'd say it's worth the effort as the good ones can be quite special. The bad were often caused by low quality source (wow & flutter or compressed stereo CDs).

DKA definitely produced the goods but many I found were no longer downloadable. Sorry to hear DKA has gone into retirement.

Has there been any info published on the tools and tricks to do a decent DIY job? I've tried a couple foobar upmix plugins with mixed success, but it was trial and error, no set method or understanding of the various parameters (no documentation with the plugins). Any hints/links please?

Has there been any info published on the tools and tricks to do a decent DIY job? I've tried a couple foobar upmix plugins with mixed success, but it was trial and error, no set method or understanding of the various parameters (no documentation with the plugins). Any hints/links please?

Here's one: (hope this is OK, it doesn't lead to any actual content, only talks about methods & such)

DKA was posting here a little while ago; hopefully he can provide some info as well if he's still about?

-- Jim

He has a young family taking up his time as he should be. Now you're going to claim he stopped up mix work because of you? This is breathtaking indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anyone know where I can find DKA upmixes, listened to Thriller and Daft Punk and totally amazed. It's torture looking at other upmixes by him stay at 60% complete :(

I love DKA. He is a genius, only wish he would make more because he has stopped working on new ones. Got tired of the abuse and hassles plus he has a new family that takes priority.

I love DKA. He is a genius, only wish he would make more because he has stopped working on new ones. Got tired of the abuse and hassles plus he has a new family that takes priority.

Never heard of DKA. Is he sort of like an Eminem or a Dr. Dre?

It's credible work for those who take the time to understand and appreciate it. No it's not easy software; it takes talent patience and some degree of luck to come out with a good upmix. DKA and also Holland 123 are standouts in this area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what [he who shall not be named's] agenda is but DKA is a very talented and very personable chap, his work on the 2-ch of Stevie Wonder's Songs In The Key Of Life is quite remarkable imho..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahaha - my somewhat rocky introduction to this forum involved some praise for upmixes, DKA's in particular.
There are some out there that are a better listening experience and a better sound presentation than many a professional surround mix, mixed from the multis.
He was simply very, very good at what he did. I hope he does more some day!

Back