• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Giving up on vintage quad- everything must go!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reed

Out here in the perimeter, way down below the ocea
I have been trying to get my old quad gear working for years and haven't been able to. I give up. I don't have the knowledge time or money to get this old stuff working again, so I am selling it a a steep loss.

FOR SALE:

Two Sansui QRX-6001s:

IMG_1812.jpg

Number one was fully recapped by myself. All electrolytic capacitors were replaced by me. I also sent it to qrxrestore and had $500 of work done to it (alignment, etc...) but it still doesn't work right. Maybe you can fix it? Maybe you can use it for parts? I don't know. I have easily spent over $800 trying to get this unit up and running, and it is about 3/4 of the way there, but I have lost interest. I will sell it for $650 OBO plus shipping. Figure shipping will be $50-$100 depending on where you are. I am in Washington State

Number two was sold to me as a parts unit with a cut power cord. I repaired the power cord and found that this unit actually functions better than the unit i have recapped and had work done on. Not 100% functional, but definitely worth saving. I have less money invested in this one despite the fact it works better. $400 OBO, plus shipping

Pioneer QX-949A- I really like the level meter on this unit, which is why I bought it. But it doesn't work. It powers on, but that is about it. I think it would be a great project for someone who knows how to work on electronics to play with. These are supposed to sound really good but have lousy quad decoding capabilities. Buy it for looks! $300 obo.

Koss 2+2 true quadraphonic headphones. These worked great until one day there was a horrible loud squeal from one of the left channels and the headphones stopped working. This is a very nice condition set of headphones and even comes in the original case with the original literature. Should be an easy fix for someone who knows what they are doing. I don't! $100 obo.

If these prices seem out of line, by all means let me know. I am very open to offers. I just want to get this stuff out of my garage and make a bit of money. I would rather see it all go to someone who will appreciate it rather than pitch it all in the dump. I also hate eBay and would rather not waste my time there.

Make me an offer! Package deals available! Flexible on the prices (VERY)!! I am in Tacoma, WA so plan the shipping costs accordingly.:phones

I have a Pioneer QX 949A and can confirm what you have said about it. I run a quad eight track and quad reel to reel through it so decoding isn't really an issue. I'd love to get another but my God are those things heavy! Shipping would absolutley kill me, not to mention the postman!

ken

92 views, no nibbles. Seriously, I need to get these units gone. No reasonable offer refused. And by reasonable I do not mean within $200 of my asking price. I really just want to get some money for them and get them to someone who can use them instead of dumping them.

Friendly advice - you're going to have a long wait with those figures and acknowledged issues present. Check eBay completed auctions for same models to see how similar items finished out. It's a reasonable measurement of current demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hate to tell you this, but I sold a 6001 a couple months back for $45. It had a few issues, and I was completely up front about them. But as a four channel amplifier, it still sounded amazing. And it sold for $45.

You have to ask what the market is willing to accept. It may not seem fair, but that's how it is.

OK- how about this. $300 plus shipping and I will sell you all of my quad gear. All three receivers, the headphones, some other items I didn't list (a decoder, some other bits). Part this all out and make more than you paid.

I'm interested in your Sansui and other quad stuff. I have a 6001 and between all of them can make one good one.

you haven't been boned, just those units are very finicky and direct coupled to the final output transistors, one wrong move and POOF the finals blow out.

direct coupled gives very low distortion and detail in the music, but also zero protection to the final output transistors. the fuses are a joke, they blow out after the finals have already blown out.

capacitor coupled is more reliable, and transformer coupled is nearly bulletproof, as the finals are completely isolated by the coupling transformer. but those also have more distortion.

once those driver boards get old and the values start to drift on the resistors and caps, there's a tendency to blow finals out and fuses. also if they've been screwed with over time, I've found the wrong resistor values in the driver boards. also there is 6 transistors on each driver board that regulate the bias current to the finals, and they all have to be changed or they wear slowly and blow out piecemeal over time. the downside is they take the finals with them each time, and 4 finals blown each time in the front or rear, means $16 more for finals as you repair the unit

we had a 6001 that ate 16 finals in the process of repairing it. it would play for 3 days just fine in quad mode, and on day 4 POOF blow the finals just turning it on, without any music even playing yet.

a good restoration on one of those may cost $1000 parts/labor and requires replacing EVERYTHING, repopulating all the boards. but it's the only way to insure that the specs are back to original and won't blow the finals again. I've seen a thread online where a total cosmetic resto cost the owner $1700. In that case what's spent is way over the resale value of the set. A mint working original 6001 only sells for $280 now on Ebay, plus shipping. You'd be way better off with a Pioneer 1250 or 1980 in the long run. I picked up a 1250 for only $50 a few years ago locally, and it is a powerhouse a much more reliable than any Sansui.

I sent you a PM so get back to me, maybe we can work out a deal. packing would be a chore, each one of those must be packaged separately and shipped in 3 boxes with LOTS of bubble wrap- unless you are close enough I can pick them up in person.

Last edited:
Thanks. I tested the output transistors and they all work (swapped them between known working channels). I thought I could use my rudimentary electrical knowledge and repair these beasts, but that isn't going to happen. I paid QRXRestore to repair and modify the one unit I recapped and they said they had it working perfectly at the shop but when I got it back in the mail I saw some new caps in the boards but it worked (or, rather, DIDN'T work) just like before I shipped it off.

I wish I could find a mint working anything for $280. That is less than I paid for any of my non-working units. Ugh.

One thing about tube amps in they are usually electronically simple compared to solid state. I find they're easier to fix. What's wrong with the QRX-6001s? If the amps aren't working maybe you could use two external stereo amps.

The recapped unit has no lights coming on on the front panel. It doesn't appear to switch between decoding modes, at least one channel doesn't work in any mode, and in all modes except aux input the unit goes into protection if the volume is turned up, it will go into protection in "aux" input sometimes, basically a whole mess of problems.

The "parts" unit actually seems to switch functions correctly and work except for one channel keeps blowing fuses and resistors on one of the boards. I have checked the power transistor on that circuit and it is good, but didn't get much farther due to the resistor frying.

I just don't have the time and knowledge to deal with this myself and I don't have the money to keep shipping it off at $85 one way to be repaired and not have it be repaired when I get it back.

One thing about tube amps in they are usually electronically simple compared to solid state. I find they're easier to fix. What's wrong with the QRX-6001s? If the amps aren't working maybe you could use two external stereo amps.

those amps work fine until the driver boards are plugged in, then things start frying and burning resistors, transistor on the driver boards, that's what mine does.

being direct coupled there's no buffer between the final amp transistors and driver boards. any voltage spike goes right through and takes out the finals before the fuse can stop it

the poster was most likely thinking, the finals are just blown in your amps, and the preamp circuit may still work, so you can use the pre outs or aux in/out jacks to input into another stereo tube amp. I have 6 or more tube amps and those are generally easier to repair and simpler designs, with less components inside.

that's what he was getting at.

my point was, using a 50 lb. boat anchor as just a pre amp is like taking the Titanic out bass fishing...

Last edited:
I can offer you $125 each for the Sansui amps, shipped price via FedEx, i.e. shipping included. They are basically $50 each units nonworking, plus shipping. These Sansuis, or any other makes for that matter, don't bring big money unless they are the TOTL units. The 6001 is only 25 watts/channel. Power output doesn't matter in respect to sound quality and fidelity, but it does matter in respect to resale and market value for solid state amps. Power output isn't so important for resale of a tube amp. The output transistors in the 6001 are the cheap lower power NTE175 that sell for $2.80 each. That is actually fortunate as they are less expensive to replace when they blow out. But they are a small relatively easy to burn out transistor.

Recently on Ebay 2 of these 6001's sold in very nice working condition for only $225 and $280 each respectively, do a search and hit the sold button, and a unit such as yours that did not work, sold for only $45. $150 each plus shipping is just not going to happen.

there is a restored 6001 for sale as well, for $1000, but that guy needs to put down the hash pipe and wake up, and get a reality check. A fully restored unit including all replating, refinishing and electrically perfect, may go for $500 on the best day. Again the low power output hurts the unit resale value.

on the flipside a Pioneer SX-1980 sells for $3500 because it's a rare vintage TOTL unit and has 270 WPC. that would be a unit worth throwing $500 into a repair because you'd get it back out again on resale, and then some.

sorry that's all they are worth in the current marketplace. It's all too easy to invest more into something than it's worth on resale.

Back