The Who: Quadrophenia - Live in London Blu-Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Now available to Pre-Order from Amazon.com:

Single-Disc Blu-Ray
5-Disc Box Set

According to CDJapan, the 5-disc Box Set will contain 2 CDs, 1 DVD, 1 Blu-Ray Disc, and 1 Blu-Ray Audio Disc
Now I'm pretty sure that the CDs, DVD, and Blu-Ray are the Quadrophenia concert (Filmed at Wembley Arena on July 8 2013), but what could be on the Blu-Ray Audio Disc? Could we finally be getting the FULL Quadrophenia 5.1 mix?! *Fingers Crossed*
Also, I hope that this Blu-Ray release will contain the "Can You See the Real Me?" documentary from 2012. If it has that, the concert, and the 5.1 mix, then I will gladly tell UMe to "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

:D

EDIT: Now with Box Set Image! 81-4HVrlIFL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I saw them do this last year in Cardiff, it was fantastic Daltrey still has loads of energy on stage. So this looks like a must have :smokin

http://thewho.com/blog/story/the-who-celebrate-the-40th-anniversary-of-quadrophenia/

THE WHO CELEBRATE THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF QUADROPHENIA

WITH THE RELEASE OF

‘QUADROPHENIA: LIVE IN LONDON’ DVD IN JUNE 2014

FILMED AT WEMBLEY ARENA ON JULY 8, 2013

In 2012/2013, The Who embarked on the Quadrophenia and More Tour, performing their landmark rock opera in its entirety, marking the 40th anniversary of the original 1973 release of this double-album masterpiece. The critically acclaimed and highly successful tour closed at London’s Wembley Arena, with the cameras rolling, to record the closing night of this historic anniversary tour.

Filmed on July 8, 2013, QUADROPHENIA: LIVE IN LONDON features The Who in peak form, performing Quadrophenia from front to back, in its entirety, plus a special set of some of their all-time greatest hits. The film captures the band’s dynamic performance in front of their hometown crowd and features blistering performances of “The Real Me,” “The Punk And The Godfather,” “Doctor Jimmy” and a powerful performance of “Love Reign O’er Me.” With HD screen backdrops, archival footage and today’s advanced technology in sound, QUADROPHENIA: LIVE IN LONDON reunites The Who with bandmates John Entwistle, for “5:15,” and Keith Moon for his signature song “Bell Boy.” In addition to their performance of Quadrophenia, the band tear through classic tracks such as “Pinball Wizard,“ “Who Are You,” “You Better You Bet,” “Baba O’Riley,” “Won’t Get Fooled Again” and “Tea & Theatre” from their 2006 release Endless Wire,” with the intensity and power only The Who can conjure.

QUADROPHENIA: LIVE IN LONDON will be available in various configurations including an expanded Deluxe Metal Box which includes the High Definition Blu-Ray™ and standard DVD of the concert film, both in 5.1 Surround Sound audio; a two-CD soundtrack of the show; and for the first time, a 5.1 Surround Sound mix of the entire 1973 album release of Quadrophenia on a Blu-Ray Audio Disc™. Extras include a 6-inch Mod Headlight sticker, a Mod Headlight button, and a booklet with liner notes and photos, all housed in a 10-inch metal container embossed with the movie-inspired, iconic, Mod bullseye logo painted on a Vespa SG scooter headlight.

QUADROPHENIA: LIVE IN LONDON will also be made available separately on High Definition Blu-Ray™, standard DVD, and a downloadable Digital Concert Video, with the complete audio from the concert film being released as a two-CD soundtrack and a downloadable Digital Album. The 5.1 remix of the original Quadrophenia (1973) will be released as a single-disc Blu-Ray Audio Disc™.

Based around the story of Jimmy – double-album masterpiece, Quadrophenia tells the tale of a young mod and his struggle to come of age in the mid-1960s. The project was intended to reflect the four characters of The Who and features some of Townshend’s most inspired, personal song-writing – way ahead of its time in scope and purpose and is one of the most widely recognized albums of The Who’s career because of its classic depiction of mod culture, its renowned imagery and the magnificent music and powerful performances. Newly envisioned by Roger Daltrey, the concert film combines archival footage of The Who and images of historical events that have rocked Jimmy’s world over the past 40 years giving this magnum opus an enlightened modern twist.

TRACK LIST – ALL FORMATS EXCEPT 1973 VERSION

I Am The Sea
The Real Me
Quadrophenia
Cut My Hair
The Punk And The Godfather
I’m One
The Dirty Jobs
Helpless Dancer
Is It In My Head?
I’ve Had Enough
5:15
Sea And Sand
Drowned
Bell Boy
Doctor Jimmy
The Rock
Love Reign O’er Me

Bonus Performances
Who Are You
You Better You Bet
Pinball Wizard
Baba O’Riley
Won’t Get Fooled Again
Tea & Theatre

TRACK LIST – BLU-RAY QUADROPHENIA (1973) ALBUM 5.1 MIX

I Am The Sea
The Real Me
Quadrophenia
Cut My Hair
The Punk And The Godfather
I’m One
The Dirty Jobs
Helpless Dancer
Is It In My Head?
I’ve Had Enough
5:15
Sea And Sand
Drowned
Bell Boy
Doctor Jimmy
The Rock
Love Reign O’er Me

DELUXE METAL BOX

10-inch Round Metal Mod Headlight Container
1 Blu-Ray Disc™: Concert Film
1 Standard DVD: Concert Film
1 Blu-ray Audio Disc™ Format: Quadrophenia (1973) 5.1 Album Mix – First Time Ever
2-CD Soundtrack: Concert Audio
Mod Headlight Button
6” Mod Headlight Sticker
Booklet with photos and liner notes

SINGLE-DISC HIGH DEFINITION BLU-RAY DISC™
Quadrophenia: Live In London – Concert Film

SINGLE-DISC STANDARD DVD

SINGLE-DISC BLU-RAY™ PURE AUDIO DISC
First time ever 5.1 mix of the entire album Quadrophenia(1973)

DIGITAL VIDEO DOWNLOAD

2-CD SOUNDTRACK
Quadrophenia: Live In London – Concert Audio

DIGITAL ALBUM DOWNLOAD
Quadrophenia: Live In London – Concert Audio

Read more at http://thewho.com/blog/story/the-wh...iversary-of-quadrophenia/#DDxGFoRJtu6UXyOJ.99

well this moves higher up the must buy schedule.

And makes June a very busy month. Brain Salad Surgery has been pushed back to June. A Passion Play hopefully (but still no buying details on that one). The first 3 Led Zep rerereleases for anyone that's so inclined. Opeth too.

Well it gives me longer to dedicate to Homo Erraticus (which is growing on me the more I listen to it), and The Yes Album (please please please arrive next Monday, oh bugger Monday is Easter Monday, so Tuesday then).

Entire album in 5.1 WOW! This year if fantastic for surround titles. I need to sell some stuff to pay for these.

So I sprung for the Quad box and NOW there is a full surround mix. I'm feeling ripped off here-why wasn't the full version released originally??

SINGLE-DISC BLU-RAY™ PURE AUDIO DISC
First time ever 5.1 mix of the entire album Quadrophenia(1973)

Hell yes!

I'm a bit confused, sorry. Is this standalaone for the live set or the stdio album? The Amazon description is not clear. Thanks.

I'm hoping its the standalone 5.1 BDA for the studio album but I agree its unclear at the moment. the Pure Audio disc in the box set is the album 5.1 so it's looking promising :)

Yes, I'll pop for another deluxe box, or, at least the 5.1 Blu-Ray-A. Still, jhw59 NAILED it. Having bought the Quadrophenia Director's Cut to get a half-assed 5.1 version, I also feel ripped off. Townshend's LIES that multitrack masters were lost were simply appeasement. Greed rules again. Don't Pete and the Bronfman clan have enough money? Obviously they don't. Suckers like me (and many of you) get ripped off once again.

Sorry to be such a downer here.

So I sprung for the Quad box and NOW there is a full surround mix. I'm feeling ripped off here-why wasn't the full version released originally??

Yes, I'll pop for another deluxe box, or, at least the 5.1 Blu-Ray-A. Still, jhw59 NAILED it. Having bought the Quadrophenia Director's Cut to get a half-assed 5.1 version, I also feel ripped off. Townshend's LIES that multitrack masters were lost were simply appeasement. Greed rules again. Don't Pete and the Bronfman clan have enough money? Obviously they don't. Suckers like me (and many of you) get ripped off once again.

Sorry to be such a downer here.

Linda, you aren't the only one with that reaction. I guess if we can get it on just one disc without having to get another full box, that will be a slight compensation.

Although the following looks pretty tempting: "a 6-inch Mod Headlight sticker, a Mod Headlight button, and a booklet with liner notes and photos, all housed in a 10-inch metal container embossed with the movie-inspired, iconic, Mod bullseye logo painted on a Vespa SG scooter headlight." :rolleyes:

Am I crazy. or did Pete promise the full album in surround when it came out to those that bought the previous box? For free. I'll still buy it, it's one of my all time favorites, but I too feel ripped off.

Am I crazy. or did Pete promise the full album in surround when it came out to those that bought the previous box? For free. I'll still buy it, it's one of my all time favorites, but I too feel ripped off.

I found it, posted by rtbluray on 11/01/2011:

A few years back, when you did the Tommy 5.1 mix, we talked about doing a similar treatment for Quadrophenia. Is there any reason why there there’s no full 5.1 mix of the entire album?
Back in 2003 I had high hopes for 5.1. It never really took off, except for DVD movies where it is now the standard format, and where we hear the finest audio production of orchestral music and everything else. Of course quadraphonic sound never took off in 1973 when the original Who album was released, so I wasn’t particularly surprised. Hi-fi, audiophile enthusiasm, is far too expensive a business for most people. The ratio of those who will listen in stereo on an iPod thingie to those who will listen in 5.1 is about 500:1 or worse. I wanted to establish whether there is a sufficient demand from fans for a complete 5.1 mix. If there is, we will do one in the coming spring of 2012 and make it available free via Torrent download (or similar) to buyers of the package this November. For me, Bob Pridden’s 5.1 mixes of the six tracks we selected represent the best sound mix of any Who recording I have ever heard. This is Quadrophenia the way it was meant by me to sound. However, it doesn’t sound as heavy and aggressive as the stereo mixes Ron Nevison and I did in August 1973. If a gentler and more expansive 5.1 version like this had been released in 1973 it might not have pleased Who fans quite so much. They had been exposed to Live At Leeds by then. But to make a comparison, it’s interesting to look back on how gentle the original Tommy album sounds compared to the most powerful live performances of it.

I am sorry for those who bought the Director's Cut box. I didn't buy it because me and some of my friends growing up had a strict rule about Quadrophenia -- you do not listen to it piecemeal. You listen to the whole bloody thing front to end. So the truncated version was a non-starter for me.

I am thrilled that a full 5.1 mix is finally coming out.

Back