Quad LP/Tape Poll Santana: Borboletta [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Borboletta"

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 4 26.7%

Votes: 5 33.3%

Votes: 5 33.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Mediocrity Central

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Some DTS CDs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 342
Now for the hard questions: Did they intentionally misspell the Portuguese word for butterfly, Borboleta? Is the extra T for effect or trademark? :mad:@:

Now for the hard questions: Did they intentionally misspell the Portuguese word for butterfly, Borboleta? Is the extra T for effect or trademark? :mad:@:

Carlos has NEVER been one to spell things right...not even in SPANISH, which is , supposedly his native tongue.....

I gave this a 9. The Music is 8. Great Music but not the very best Santana. For me the mix is a 10. I really love the mix. Really immersive, mature quad mix. (y)

A box set similar to QUADIO including all of the Santana related QUADs would be KILLER!!!

Would also love a remix and/or expanded Santana/Buddy Miles LIVE! with the stupid fake crowd sounds removed.

A lot of Canadian pressed SQ copies of Boroletta used to show up in the cut-out bins, that's where I got mine: it must not of sold well in Canada. It's one of those albums that I likely never would of bought if not in Quad. The first three albums might be the essential Santana albums but Quad wise this is my favourite Santana. I've also listened to the stereo version "synthesized" via QS and although that sounds good the SQ version blows it away. Quadio boxed set Please, Please, Please!!!!

A lot of Canadian pressed SQ copies of Boroletta used to show up in the cut-out bins, that's where I got mine: it must not of sold well in Canada. It's one of those albums that I likely never would of bought if not in Quad. The first three albums might be the essential Santana albums but Quad wise this is my favourite Santana. I've also listened to the stereo version "synthesized" via QS and although that sounds good the SQ version blows it away. Quadio boxed set Please, Please, Please!!!!

Did they do the LP with blue "foil" cover like the US pressings originally? I loved the look of this album when I first saw it new around 75/76.

Did they do the LP with blue "foil" cover like the US pressings originally? I loved the look of this album when I first saw it new around 75/76.

Santana covers were EXCEPTIONAL when they were good..now..when they were bad (Santana+Buddy Miles) , they were horrible!!!

Yeah. I somehow managed to get a Canadian SQ copy that did not have the "foil" so I bought a minty sealed STEREO US copy!

the Dutch pressing of the SQ has that silvery blue foil sleeve, mine's a bit worn with some of it looking more silvery than it should.. I'd like to get another copy in better nick but its a tough one to find over here.. as others here have said its a good Quad mix and the SQ LP decodes well.. hopefully somebody will get all the Santana Quads out again on SACD/DVD or something before too long, almost all of them are great, including this one!

edit: forgot to say its an "8" from me in this QQ Poll :D

This is my favorite Santana LP overall. I really like the music, and especially the vocals. This singer only appeared on this album and on parts of Festival.

Of course, the album cover is exceptional.

I do have a regular stereo US pressing in decent condition and a US Quad LP in very nice (near mint) condition. I just learned about how to decode the SQ of the vinyl, and I am very happy with the result.

Still, I would love an offiicial release of the Quad mix, preferably in the beautiful Japanese 7" packaging.

The three album run of Caravanserai, Welcome & Borboletta was truly exceptional and I love them all. Picking a favorite would be like choosing a favorite child.
I will say that out of the Q8 versions I have I think Borboletta has the best fidelity.
The vocals come through strong and each channel has plenty of content. No crazy panning here.

Each of my big 3 has a signature song:
Caravanserai - "Every step of the way"
Welcome - "Flame sky"
Borboletta - "Promise of a fisherman"
Maybe my expectations were too high on the first two but I prefer the "Fisherman"
A 9 from me.
A Japanese quadraphonic SACD version might just make it a 10 !

Last edited:
Back