Quad LP/Tape Poll Santana: Santana's Greatest Hits [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate Santana's GH

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 1 11.1%

Votes: 7 77.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux Totally

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia PCQ/MAQ 33050, from 1974.

Side 1:

Evil Ways
Jingo
Hope You're Feeling Better
Samba Pa Ti
Persuasion

Side 2:

Black Magic Woman
Oye Como Va
Everything's Coming Our Way
Se a Cabo
Everybody's Everything

ED :)

10. Great trax, good mixes. Perhaps I should have done 9, since there are better Santana trax than "Hope You're Feeling Better" and "Se a Cabo." Still, perhaps the most bang for the bucks in Santana Quads.

Before a review, some notes on the album:

Same track sequence as the stereo edition, but after that, considerable differences relative to the original stereo Lp (PC 33050):

Evil Ways: From the quad SANTANA, with cold ending (Stereo Lp has the commercial single edit, which also fades at end)
Jingo: From the quad SANTANA (Stereo Lp had the stereo single edit, previously available in the US only on a DJ 45]
Black Magic Woman: (Stereo Lp has 45 version (first time on Lp in US); this quad has the full "Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen" from SANTANA ABRAXAS)
Oye Coma Va (Quad mix and edit from SANTANA ABRAXAS; stereo Lp has album length version, same as stereo ABRAXAS; however, 1971 stereo commercial 45 was a deft edit of the album version, not sure that one's ever been on a US album).

ED :)

Great information! 1974 quad was riding high, The balance of the Chicago and Santana catalogs almost completely available and most acts expected to release more.

Tapatalk

A genuine pleasure. Discrete in all songs. Distinct, separate, yet clear channels and altogether harmonious. A definite 9. Subtract a point for slightly thin bass and (in my transfer) a bit of surface noise. Otherwise, a winner. Enjoy.

Back