HiRez Poll Yes - THE YES ALBUM [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Yes - THE YES ALBUM

• Total voters
Glad I waited as this is how music should sound, great warmth and as being a flat transfer, you can really crank it and no ear fatique, just awesome.
This is a 10 all the way and should be in everyone's surround library. I am reporting on the DVDA as preference is due to home/car option.

peter

That is exactly why this one is a little quieter - we did not go anywhere near buss limiting for volume, leaving you to turn it up as loud as you want - after all, a flick of the wrist gets you +10dB whereas doing this with a limiter will get painful.
As far as we can tell, both formats will continue to be supported for the foreseeable future

I'm giving this a 10 (mine is the CD+BDA version).

I did think about knocking off a point for the packaging as I received Ian Anderson's Homo Erraticus and Katatonia's Dethroned & Uncrowned in the same Amazon UK shipment. These two are both packaged as mini books with CD + DVD inside front and back cover made of heavy cardboard. I'd rather pay a little more for nice packaging. TYA is a bit light weight compared.

However, the audio quality, mixes, authoring and content are all quite superb. In the end I had to give a 10!

My vote is a solid 10 (DVD-A version)
I particularly noted as the songs approached their respective "Moments" those moments were beyond measure. They simply took my breath away and brought a tear to my eye. I cut my teeth in this album and I know every note. This is exemplary.
I only wish that my brother was still of this earth to enjoy this effort with me.
My thanks goes out to all of the "Usual suspects" for making this happen. It has added the "fun" back into The Yes Album experience. :smokin

My vote is a solid 10 (DVD-A version)
I particularly noted as the songs approached their respective "Moments" those moments were beyond measure. They simply took my breath away and brought a tear to my eye. I cut my teeth in this album and I know every note. This is exemplary.
I only wish that my brother was still of this earth to enjoy this effort with me.
My thanks goes out to all of the "Usual suspects" for making this happen. It has added the "fun" back into The Yes Album experience. :smokin

I apologize for my simple repy...BUT ..what Frantic said...
Also..a HUGE bonus to hear them with BB on drums on TK on keys...

I think that the FIRST ever Yes fan and wants to get into their their MCH mixes
THIS IS THE DISC YOU SHOULD START WITH!!!!!

CTTE also works very well too...

Last edited:
Perfect album (although I never understood why they put a live version of Clap on it, as the second track). Fantastic surround. Especially the guitar effects and the vocal overdubs. I give it a 10!

This is a home run. Out of the park grand slammer! I had no expectations for this release. I loved CTTE, butI am really waiting for Tales. So, this one caught me by surprise. Had not listened to it in a couple of years. Since the sub par Rhino LP reissue. I played the cd first while driving around. Sounded good, but I was distracted with driving and had to keep cranking it up to focus. Not the loudest mastered disc, but still sounds great. Definitely noticed some bits up in the mix I hadn't noticed before.

The next day I was able to give the BD 5.1 a listen. Absolutely floored! I forgot how tight and well produced this album is. Having seen them in concert so many times over the years the staples from this album just got stale live. For me anyway. To hear this new mix by SW was just rejuvenating. I can't wait for the rest of 'em!

It got a 10 from me (BD/CD). This music has been a favorite of mine since I was a teen when it came out and I never seem to tire of it.

Some random comments...

This is some of the very best surround demo stuff I have.

I like how its authored. I like seeing the format I'm playing on the screen. I like no repeating lead in music. I don't like not having on screen lyrics.

Another post noted how you could crank this and it remains clean with no fatigue. I completely agree. Its phenomenal in that regard.

Someone mentioned poor packaging. Again I agree. Look at Anderson's Homo Erraticus for packaging done right.

Still the content and sound is so good it merits a 10 in my book.

First of all, God bless SW, Mr. Wilkes, and all the good folks here at the forum. I haven't posted frequently lately, but when I do drop by/lurk, it fuels me.

I think this release is fantastic, and I think it bests the excellent CTTE, where I felt SW struggled a little bit in balancing elements in the title track.

The Yes Album just comes together effortlessly, it seems, which might be directly related to the elements/master tape or simply the magical way things sometimes come together in music (or any art, for that matter). Just wonderful.

Anyway, cheers to all involved!

A 10! I've been consistently buying the new releases these last few years, but mostly haven't found them very interesting. Not that there's been anything wrong with them, they just haven't been the type of music I've been listening to. I figured this would be another one for the pile. But for whatever reason, this one has really grabbed me and I've been listening to it quite a bit. The sound quality is excellent, the music isn't too proggy, and the mix is great. I think this is by far the best SW surround mix yet and maybe even on par with Elliot Scheiner. And just where is Mr. Scheiner anyways?

The last few minutes of Starship Trooper stand out
with some of the best moments in surround song
mixing.

There's maybe another dozen moments from certain songs from quad to
present day 5.1 that reach the point of reminding you of why
you just cant live without surround

Thank you Mr Wilkes
Thank you Mr Wilson
Thank you Yes

+1000 to all the great things already said. desert island disc...spectacular in ALL ways. another 11 vote!

bluray version

Got a copy of YES - The Yes Album today.....compliments of Steven Wilson mixing prowess.

I like Yes, though not a lifelong hard core fan. Clint told me this was the one to get. Whoa......no doubt. This mix ranks right up there with the very, very best I've ever heard. I simply cannot believe the overall audio quality. Lows, mids and highs. Wow. Stunning. Reference. To me - most others will be now judged by this.

Such an easy 10.

I take it no one else if having an issue playing the DVD-A. I got mine in and it gets suck at about 8:30 on the first song. If I skip past the first song, nothing plays at all. It just quickly cycles through the track numbers and jumps back to the main menu. I'm using the Oppo BDP-95. I've inspected the disk and do not see any scratches or obvious issues.

I take it no one else if having an issue playing the DVD-A. I got mine in and it gets suck at about 8:30 on the first song. If I skip past the first song, nothing plays at all. It just quickly cycles through the track numbers and jumps back to the main menu. I'm using the Oppo BDP-95. I've inspected the disk and do not see any scratches or obvious issues.

are the firmware updates up to date? If so the disc may have a fault? I had my Love album go bad. It refused to access the dvd a portion no matter what I did. Ended up replacing it and the new copy is fine.

are the firmware updates up to date? If so the disc may have a fault? I had my Love album go bad. It refused to access the dvd a portion no matter what I did. Ended up replacing it and the new copy is fine.

I'm completely up to date. I've never had a problem with a DVD-A. It's probably just a bad disc.

Just like my experience listening to CTTE on blu-ray last night I finally got the chance to listen to the 5.1 mix of The Yes Album. Wow - just fantastic. An easy "10" (but definitely goes to "11"). I actually had quite a (positive) emotional reaction to hearing this album in 5.1 - it really floored me! Just beautiful work. Can't wait for the new 5.1 mix of Fragile next! Cheers!
----------- Chris

Also hugely enjoying the original stereo archived master. Reminds me most of the original impact this album had on me. Leaps out of the speakers! What a package - so much to explore....

Went with 9. Amazing mix.
IMO, this album is like (early Rush album) A Farewell to Kings: 4 great songs, 2 meh songs.
Clap works great live, but does little for me here. They could have gotten a little more adventurous with arrangement.
I still can't remember how Venture goes.

Back