HiRez Poll Yes - THE YES ALBUM [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Yes - THE YES ALBUM

• Total voters
Already the first minutes wipe the fears completely away that the surroundmix alike of the CTTE really doesn`t correspond to my high expectations of a Steven Wilson Mix. There is even bass to admire here, in addition in consideration of the age romp aerial surroundsound. The little lower volume level is no problem.

Also musically - I like this album more than CTTE. Sorry :p

I give it a 10.

With all the hyperbole that has surrounded this I was standing by to be a little disappointed with this.

Boy was I wrong this is bloody good.

Never being a big yes fan I never owned this album before, in fact my Yes albums stretch to the first two on CD Fragile on DVDA and Tales on LP

I would not have bought any more but for the remixes and SW has gone above the call of duty on this one, and produced a superb mix and the music is great. The fact that Clap is an up mix is hardly noticeable love the use of rears for that.

This is playful and respectful as we have come to expect from Steven’s Mixes. More listens but I don’t see any reason to deduct points on the blu ray it’s packed.

An easy 10 for me. i love it. Both the fidelity and mix are superb. I loved hearing all the little guitar bits that were mixed out of the original LP. Wonderful extras (I'm particularly happy to have the instrumental versions) and very easy menu to navigate (Blu-Ray). The live "America" previews a riff from Roundabout near the end offering a glimpse into their arranging/composing process. I hadn't known that they used Emerson's modular Moog for the album (oh, to be a fly on the wall at Advision in the early 70's...). The 5.1 mix wonderfully demonstrates how vital Steve Howe was in elevating the band to the next level. His guitar parts are endlessly inventive and varied. And of course Rick Wakeman was soon be the last piece of the puzzle making this ensemble practically untouchable.

These Steven Wilson mixes (Yes, King Crimson, Tull, XTC, Caravan, etc) are a dream come true for me. And to think that Gentle Giant's "Power and the Glory" is in the pipeline is all but too much!

If there is one complaint, I can make about the Yes reissue series so far, it is the difference in packaging between the DVD-A and Blu-Ray versions.
I would MUCH prefer if both formats had the same packaging, similar to what they did for XTC's "Nonsuch".
It protects the discs more, it fits better on my shelf, and it matches the King Crimson releases I have that aren't box sets.

I have ended up buying both formats for "Close to the Edge" and "The Yes Album" so I can use the DVD-A in an Acura and I take the Blu-Ray set discs and put them in the DVD-A packaging.

Agree. I find the packaging for the DVD-A for both CTTE and TYA to be preferable to the BD. That said I do feel extremely fortunate to see these albums released in 5.1, on multiple formats. All in all, the value for the money is over the top especially if compared to prices for OOP surround releases.

i'm going to guess that the 24/96 "archival master" was an "archive/flat transfer" of the master tape done some years ago. It is there to show us how much better the technology/mastering techniques are now when compared to the new 24/192 original mix mastering.

outstanding (DVDA) sonicly superior to CTTE, this one stands very nicely next to fragile where CTTE was lacking. I gave this one a solid 10. nice job guys.

I am just amazed. Dark Side with Alan Parsons, Moody Blues Children's and Genesis Lamb were my favorites but this just took over.

I loved them all, especially Perpetual Change. The last part of the song is simply brilliant.

Bottom line, I couldn't be happier.

Super, a definate 10, Great surround mix!!!!

Did anyone else notice a bit of a glitch in the HD Master Audio 5.1 format at the very beginning of play (blu-ray version)?

Last edited:
Great restored work. Sounds much better than original release. Unfortunately omitted tracks reborn like as zombi !
Surround mix is also great. Anyway, I vote 10up.

Got a chance to listen to this again cranked way up. Just love it! The clarity and cleanness of the sound. Agree that YIND is the highlight in surround. I am enjoying the extra bonus tracks too. I could say more but I would just be repeating what everyone else has said... a 10 from me.

Excellent, I can't add anything than what's already been said other than to say it had been a while since I heard this album, and it's one that has followed me everywhere for 40+ true summers long. Hearing it with these careful and considered remixes is just a gift. CTTE too. Here's looking forward to the next one, any of the 3 that have been bantered around will be great. Understatement.

In Perpetual Change, New mix has second guitar (tone like as Robert Fripp) at 3:02.
It was omitted on the original mix.
Zombi exists also on CTTE, second chorus on "I Get Up".

Last edited:
This is based on the Blu Ray... I went 9 (very close to 10). Only negatives were 1. On the 5.1 mix I thought the guitar was mixed too low on the opening riff of Yours Is No Disgrace (and the repeat of the riff at around 4:00). Sorta deadened it. But alas, with Audacity I bumped the center channel 5 db on those two sections & I'm a happy boy! 2. Thought the packaging could've been better. I don't like the booklet not having a "place" in the package.

As far as the stereo mixes go, the new mixes are my favorite. However, in limited listening, I actually like the original Atlantic CD mix better than either the 24/192 Original Mix or the 24/96 Archived Master original mix. The 24/192 seems like it has more tape noise than any other mix I've heard & the Archived Master is a bit too bright by comparison. (Neil, we still want to know where that came from...) :)

I haven't spun the needle drop or live stuff. I didn't even bother ripping the "single" edits - I wouldn't ever listen to them.

Anyway, great product!

Got it today (BluRay)I agree its way better than Close To The Edge. 5.1 mix is brilliant.

Neil, mate you did a great job on this, you should be proud !

This was an album I've had a hard on for in 5.1 for years!
If it were up to me, Fragile would not have been the one I'd have done to the first runs of DVD-As.
With Starship Trooper, Yours is No Disgrace & I've Seen All Good People...
this album is one of my all time favorite "desert island" discs.
Seeing Tales, CTTA and Relayer before my life is through will make me a very happy soul! LOL!
As for reviews... I think it's a 10 but then again, I'm biased! :)
As for the credits, I, like the others, worked on the DVD-A and BDA.
There were errors on the BDA credits (I'm on the DVD-A set) but rest assured,
I had a little more to do with the BDA than meets the eye. ;)

-B

Well, finally got this beauty on Friday and have now had a chance to listen both in the home and in the car, I can't really add much to what others have said already, great recording originally back in the 70's and sounds even better today with the advantage of putting this out in a lossless recording and when its remixed by someone like Steven Wilson who you can tell really cares about the music. I had this on album and did not get this on cd back in the 80's as was to busy buying new music at the time so didn't replace everything that I had on LP. Glad I waited as this is how music should sound, great warmth and as being a flat transfer, you can really crank it and no ear fatique, just awesome.
This is a 10 all the way and should be in everyone's surround library. I am reporting on the DVDA as preference is due to home/car option.

peter

Last edited:
Back