Recordings listed in the Quad Discography that ARE NOT QUAD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Anderson

Staff member
I am currently working on updates for the popular discography and have been meaning to clean up some titles that are listed that do not appear to be matrix encoded. These titles were originally listed in Quad Incorporated but with better decoding than when they were released (Tate 101a, Computer Scripts) do not seem to decode properly. Below is a list of titles I suspect are not quad and would appreciate your comments good or bad.

Grateful Dead - Steal Your Face

GLORIA GAYNOR - Experience. MGM M3G-4997 (QS)

Climax Blues Band - Stamp Album

Tommy (Original Soundtrack)
{It has been mentioned that a quantiphonic logo was printed on the OBI strip of the japanese release and a gold QS sticker on the wrapper of some issues but I have never seen one. It just does not sound right to me when decoded}

ANYTHING ON THE BILLINGSGATE LABEL (SQ Labeling was just a marketing ploy)
LUCIFERS FRIEND - Lucifers Friend. Billingsgate BG-1002 (QS)
the album was recorded in 1970, and probably mixed at the same time. That was before SQ was released

NEU - Neu. Billingsgate BG-1001 (SQ)

FRUMPY - By the Way. Billingsgate BG-1003 (SQ)

SCORPIONS - Lonesome Crow. Billingsgate BG-1004 (SQ)

THE KENDALLS - Old Fashioned Love. Ovation OV-1733 (QS)
{No mention of quad on my copy and does not decode good thru QS. Could be EV as the sector 4 recordings might have used that format)

John Coltrane - Concert in Japan - Impulse AS 9246/2
{Record label just mentions synthesized quad, maybe should be listed like olympic and everest titles}

ANYTHING ON THE HORIZON LABEL
Jim Hall - Live - SP 705
David Liebman - Sweet Hands - SP 702
Dave Brubeck & Paul Desmond - The Duets - SP 703
{No mention of quad}

Since Billingsgate was a local (Chicago) label, record stores in my area were selling off Billingsgate's remaining inventory in local cut-out bins. I bought them all for $1 or $2. And yes, not a one of them decoded as SQ on either my Sony SQD-2020 or Marantz SQA-2B.

I've left the Billingsgate 'quads' out of the CD-4 Spotlight thread precisely because they don't seem to be actual quad titles.

The Coltrane album is basically fake stereo with four speakers, which makes sense as it was taken from a dubious mono source. Historically interesting material, perhaps, but why it was issued as a quad (let alone stereo) title is beyond sense, should've been issued in flat mono and done with it.

ED :)

The Coltrane is "Quadramonic."

I've left the Billingsgate 'quads' out of the CD-4 Spotlight thread precisely because they don't seem to be actual quad titles.

The Coltrane album is basically fake stereo with four speakers, which makes sense as it was taken from a dubious mono source. Historically interesting material, perhaps, but why it was issued as a quad (let alone stereo) title is beyond sense, should've been issued in flat mono and done with it.

ED :)

Below is a list of PYE recordings I suspect are NOT QUAD that are listed in the discography.
My reasoning is the following. I cannot find anything mentioning quad on the records or A press releases mentioning these titles. I think a lot of confusion came about with the 4D series and an assumption that all are quad NSPL-41001 thru NSPL-41060). The quad releases all have the prefix # QUAD or an X following the prefix NSPL and specifically mention quad on the front and back cover and on the LP. The other 4D Series titles merely state stereo (A few have an X after NSPL). Maybe the thought is they are "Stealth" quads but I would wonder why NORRIE PARAMOR ORCHESTRA -Temptation. PYE NSPLX-41057 (being one of the last quad releases in the series) mentions quad on the covers and labels (Why hide quad encoding on the earlier releases?). Also it appears that Stereo and quad mixes were done for some titles based on an interview with Tony Hatch http://www.licoricesoul.co.uk/lsd008.php
Your thoughts, pictures or clarifications would be appreciated.

PYE 4D STEREO SERIES

ALAN AINSWORTH
The Entertainer. Pye PKLX 5538 (QS) [England]

ACKER BILK -
The One For Me. Pye NSPLX 41052 (QS) [England] (Only QUAD 1036 is QS Encoded)

TONY HATCH -
Mr. Nice Guy. Golden Hour GHX628 (QS) [England]

NORRIE PARAMOR ORCHESTRA -
Love. Pye NSPL 41045 (QS) [England]

THE ROYAL DOULTON BAND -
Clayhanger. Pye TBX 3005 (QS) [England]

CYRIL STAPLETON & HIS ORCHESTRA -
Themes From Ryans Daughter, Love Story & Other Hits. Pye NSPL 41001
(QS), [Pye QPS-5005 (QS) [Japan] - NOT IN QUESTION]
{The japanese version list 4 channel on the OBI label and QS on the back cover,
The UK version does not mention quad at all}

Mark I think they are all still here , I will check them.

I have been able to confirm that these titles do mention quad on the covers.
ALAN AINSWORTH - The Entertainer. Pye PKLX 5538 (QS) [England]

ACKER BILK - The One For Me. Pye NSPLX 41052 (QS) [England]

TONY HATCH - Mr. Nice Guy. Golden Hour GHX628 (QS) [England]

NORRIE PARAMOR ORCHESTRA - Love. Pye NSPL 41045 (QS) [England]

THE ROYAL DOULTON BAND - Clayhanger. Pye TBX 3005 (QS) [England]

CYRIL STAPLETON & HIS ORCHESTRA - Themes From Ryans Daughter, Love Story & Other Hits. Pye NSPL 41001

Is it just me, or are the letters "A" to "F" without CRLF?

Another one for the list of unreleased albums is Frank Zappa's "Roxy & Elsewhere", which was advertised in magazines, but never released. I've seen this ad a few times back at someones homepage, but cannot find it anymore. :(

-Kristian

Is it just me, or are the letters "A" to "F" without CRLF?

I left my "secret decoder ring" at home. What is CRLF?

Another one for the list of unreleased albums is Frank Zappa's "Roxy & Elsewhere", which was advertised in magazines, but never released. I've seen this ad a few times back at someones homepage, but cannot find it anymore. :(

Never heard that one. Hopefully more info will surface so we can include format and catalog numbers. Thanks for the info

Mark, have I mentioned lately how awesome your quad discography is and how often I use it as a reference? I haven't? OK, now I have!

J. D.

Mark, I'll take exception with this title being on your NOT RELEASED. With all due respect, if it wasn't released, I must have bought a mirage in 1973, at which time it was already OOP. It was among the first Liberty/UA Q8's. It is still on your Quadraphonic Popular List.:

CANNED HEAT -
* Future Blues. Liberty A-9060 (Q8)

Also, after reading your NOT QUAD list, am I understanding that you're saying EWF - That's the Way (studio, NOT the live album), Sly - High on You and John Dawson III were NEVER released in Quad, or are you simply saying that the LP issues with bar codes aren't Quad? I have SQ EWF & JDW III LP's which I bought new. The labels on each side ARE Quad labels, and there is no bar code on either of my copies of them.

Mark, I'll take exception with this title being on your NOT RELEASED. With all due respect, if it wasn't released, I must have bought a mirage in 1973, at which time it was already OOP. It was among the first Liberty/UA Q8's. It is still on your Quadraphonic Popular List.:
CANNED HEAT -
* Future Blues. Liberty A-9060 (Q8)

I saw a post a while back were you stated that you had it but did not followup with posting a picture. In that post it was questioned if it ever existed by a knowledgeable collector. Perhaps you could help with the subject. The popular list your referring to is the non-updated 2010 issue. I will send a link for the updated one for review today.

Also, after reading your NOT QUAD list, am I understanding that you're saying EWF - That's the Way (studio, NOT the live album), Sly - High on You and John Dawson III were NEVER released in Quad, or are you simply saying that the LP issues with bar codes aren't Quad? I have SQ EWF & JDW III LP's which I bought new. The labels on each side ARE Quad labels, and there is no bar code on either of my copies of them.
The version you mention is only the ones with bar codes

More info about these reissues in this QQ posting
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...eo-on-the-inside&p=75824&viewfull=1#post75824
Basically, the original quads are SQ quads but the 4 reissues are not quad, the reissues used the quad covers but stereo inside.

vinylguy4

I've moved from two homes into one recently, and have much that isn't unpacked. Most of my Q8 collection is still packed. Perhaps Nick Peruggi can verify it's existence. When I bought my Q8 in '73, I only saw it once at Korvettes in Arlington Heights, IL and I grabbed it. Never saw it again, because it was already OOP. I had seen it a few times earlier, but I had no Q8 deck at that point. When UA/Liberty re-introduce their Q8's with the angular design and "Quadrasonic" labeling, this title was eliminated, likely because Canned Heat was passe.

I'd like to think I'm a knowledgeable collector, having managed several hi-fi stores in the '70's and '80's, and having been national sales manager and a rep for a few hi-fi lines. The only reason I never worked in a record store is that there was no money in it. My surround collection numbers over 1,000 titles and my 2ch/mono collection numbers 20,000 titles. I also have several thousand mix tapes and CD's, plus a few hundred of master tapes of bands I've managed. I've been collecting software since I was three. My first record purchase was a 78.

When I studied percussion with Airto Moriera, courtesy of my friends at Slingerland, I had stuff of his that even he didn't have or know was released! :yikes

Yes, may clients have told me of things that didn't really exist over the years. It was nearly always BS and they were mistaken. I wish I had a buck for every time that happened. So, I understand your scepticism. I had no idea that a Japanese CBS Q4 existed until I saw a picture. I also didn't believe that Chicago X existed on DVD-A until I got a test pressing.

No offense taken, Mark, yet I suspect that few folks here (or anywhere else) have as much a/v gear and software as I do. I have six surround a/v systems, including DVD-A in my convertible. My main system has 36 pieces, including five hard drives. BTW: I need more hard drives. Likely I've spend more on a/v cables than most folks have on their entire systems.

Jon and the guys here must think I know something and am more than a crackpot, or I wouldn't be a moderator. Don't misunderstand, there are many people here that are extremely knowledgable and know far more than I do.

So, believe it or don't. The bottom line is it's real.

I saw a post a while back were you stated that you had it but did not followup with posting a picture. In that post it was questioned if it ever existed by a knowledgeable collector. Perhaps you could help with the subject. The popular list your referring to is the non-updated 2010 issue. I will send a link for the updated one for review today.

The version you mention is only the ones with bar codes

Quad Linda, I Apologize if my response was a little short or put you on the spot.
What I should have said is that I have seen the existence of Future Blues questioned for some time and I myself have never seen a copy.
I have only heard one report that it exists, but more questions that it does not. I have been wrong before when I have moved a title to the not released list and do not mind being corrected when I make an error on the side of caution.
I hope not to offend anyone by saying this but I do try to add some credibility to the discography's by questioning folks when they submit a title or correction and ask for photo documentation or send me a copy!
I am always impressed with your knowledge of our hobby and respect you for that. I hope you will not mind that I have heard a lot from folks memory (the stories I could tell) and am just looking for a little more than that.
Again, I apologize if you felt I questioned your integrity or knowledge in any way, that was not my intent

Kindest Regards
Mark

Carriage Return Line Feed. It looks like written all in one line, without "return". I have to scroll 10 kilometers horizontally to read the text.

I use Firefox and also test the pages in Explorer and they all look fine and not as you describe. Although the HTML code is out of date as I have not changed the discographies since the start in '94. When I do an online test for errors per the new HTML standard i get a lot of minor errors. I could certainly use some help to update to the latest standards but I do not have a clue. I still use just a text editor and copy and past code.
What program are you using to view the page?

Here at the Zappa newsgroup faq: http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/roxy.html
Footnote to "Issues", but included link is broken now...
-Kristian

Thanks for that info, I will add it to the rumors page until we can locate the AD again

As I said, Mark, no offense taken. Otherwise you might be chasing that SQ of "Horowitz Plays Scriabin" which CBS advertised, but never materialized. I drove my friends in the record business nuts trying to get that piece of vaporware.

I do have some Dolby Surround CD's (NOT on RCA or Telarc) that I need to decode and see if they are, in fact, encoded, and some other Impulse CD reissues and compilations that I believe are QS encoded. I'll report back after a/b'ing them to my Impulse LP's and QS encoded CD reissues. When I've made time to do so, I'll report back on the appropriate threads.

I use Mozilla's "Seamonkey", which is the further development of the old Netscape. It uses the Firefox kernel.

Your page looks something like this:

-Kristian

Well that is odd, if you look the raw page you see that their is no HTML code between where it does not look right and where it does.
Please take a look at the page again, I made a change and hopefully that will take care of the problem. I do not see that issue in Firefox, Explorer or Chrome.

Back