Recordings listed in the Quad Discography that ARE NOT QUAD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In regards to 'Experience' by Gloria Gaynor.. Is there or isn't there a QS mix?
My copy has this engraved in the deadwax:
Side One: M3G4997AS-HS 4 TM/JR Iven
Side Two: M3G4997BS-HS 4 TM/JR

my guess is the 'AS' is for A Side (side one), and 'BS' is B Side (side two).

You've probably received no response because no one who has checked out this thread has a copy of the album to verify whether or not it's a stealth quad or just a rumor (I do have one but no access to it, and to be honest, it wouldn't be high on my interest list anyway, as there was very little disco I actually liked). Even if it turns out that it is indeed one of those 'under the radar' titles, it's not exactly one that would excite audiophiles like, say, a Pink Floyd ANIMALS would.

Patience is often rewarded, though, so stay tuned, someone may yet have a definitive answer.

ED :)

Ed Bishop, so audiophiles don't like disco?? That doesn't make sense. Some of the biggest produced, engineered and carefully mixed albums fall into the disco genre (those released between 1973-1982). I don't believe that for a second. I also love Pink Floyd, and I don't limit my music palette to one genre or another. Btw, someone here in a previous post has claimed to have a copy of the QS version of 'Experience' and was willing to post it somewhere so 'all can hear it'.. but, because i'm not part of this quad clique - i may never hear it.

You've probably received no response because no one who has checked out this thread has a copy of the album to verify whether or not it's a stealth quad or just a rumor (I do have one but no access to it, and to be honest, it wouldn't be high on my interest list anyway, as there was very little disco I actually liked). Even if it turns out that it is indeed one of those 'under the radar' titles, it's not exactly one that would excite audiophiles like, say, a Pink Floyd ANIMALS would.

Patience is often rewarded, though, so stay tuned, someone may yet have a definitive answer.

Put it this way: if it's been posted anywhere, I'm not aware of it--yet. Curious to hear it, though, since there is very little soul--let alone anything much disco-fied--in the quad repertoire relative to other genres.

My taste varies very wildly, as my friends (and wife) will attest, but no, disco isn't really on anyone's radar beyond DJ's and scratchers. What sells in record stores these days? As a friend who owns a record shop says, 'Classic rock.' That's where the collectors can usually be found these days, too, when they're not buying northern and southern soul titles.

surroundme33 - here's something to consider. I completely missed this thread when it was started in April. Thanks to your post, it showed up in my "new posts" feed, and today I plan on stopping by my local used record store to see if they have a copy. I never would have known about this otherwise. If I don't post back, it means they didn't have it.

J. D.

In regards to 'Experience' by Gloria Gaynor.. Is there or isn't there a QS mix?
My copy has this engraved in the deadwax:
Side One: M3G4997AS-HS 4 TM/JR Iven
Side Two: M3G4997BS-HS 4 TM/JR

my guess is the 'AS' is for A Side (side one), and 'BS' is B Side (side two).

As Mark has dutifully sleuthed.......there are indeed QS copies and I would think they are in the majority of discs.

No response huh?? I just remembered why I stop coming to this forum.. It's such a shame you guys run a tight clique..

QQ is not a high activity forum. Most of the membership checks in from time to time, once a week, once a month. Very few read every post every day. I know I don't, and I sorta run the place.

There is no "tight clique" that I know of. People make many connections here and they move it in any direction they choose. Heck, even I have left questions in the forums that did not get responses. It's the nature of this hobby. It's a pastime, not a life and death deal.

Even if people read your post, if they don't know, don't care, or don't have the answer or album, chances are they're not going to post "I don't know" or "I have no idea". These forums are not like twitter or instagram or any other fast media communication machine.

There are probably people here that can answer your question, it's just a matter of them finding and reading your post. If you get no response after a reasonable amount of time, there is no forum rule that prohibits you from bumping or re-asking the question. There are many threads here that slip by and many people don't see. It's the nature of the beast.

Do not feel like you're being ignored by some conspiracy. It just is not so. Sorry you felt that way.

surroundme33 - here's something to consider. I completely missed this thread when it was started in April. Thanks to your post, it showed up in my "new posts" feed, and today I plan on stopping by my local used record store to see if they have a copy. I never would have known about this otherwise. If I don't post back, it means they didn't have it.

J. D.

This discussion should probably be moved to its own thread at this point, but let me follow up to my post from this morning. The used record store that I went to did have this album without the "RE" in the matrix. I haven't done a decode attempt yet, but I can tell you that if you sum the channels to mono, many instruments such as the brass simply disapear (as described by Tom Molton above).

J. D.

I miss PLENTY of posts!! The best example is the fact that I just reconnected with a quad engineer in 2015 only to find that he had POSTED on QQ during 2012 and I didn't even know it! Just goes to show...

No response huh?? I just remembered why I stop coming to this forum.. It's such a shame you guys run a tight clique..

Hello surroundme33,
Sorry for the delay in a response.

All I can add to your question is what I posted earlier

Until a copy is found with "RE" we really won't know what the difference in sound is to help with confirming the engineers recollection and which disks are and are not quad. We really do not know if tapes were released to other countries prior to the reissue and if the RE was dropped on recuttings here in the US when the stamper got damaged or worn out.

What we have learned is that the engineer confirmed the rumor that the title was encoded we now have to solve which pressings and find the trail off in the vinyl with "RE" so we can compare to copies like yours that seem to be an earlier pressing. Any help you can provide to solve the mystery is appreciated.

After reading this thread I purchaced a copy of Gloria Gaynor's "Experience" LP. I agree with the previous poster's assertion that it is quad. As for posting a copy.....where might one do that?
I will post the matrix numbers from the dead wax area this evening......

This isn't the best image and I don't have any more info, but being a big Zappa fan I saved it. Roxy is the leftmost of the three album covers shown.

Mark Z
View attachment 18089

Don't know if this helps or not, but I found this today:

Quadraphonic Version
FZ, interviewed by Rob Fixmer, Bugle American, December 17, 1975

When you said at last year's Milwaukee press conference that in a nation which can afford two cars in every garage people who are really into music should all go out and get four channel stereos, I wasn't sympathetic to your cause.

Well, as a matter of fact, One Size Fits All is not available in quad, and The Roxy and Elsewhere, which was mixed in quad, was never released in quad. The only two albums available in quad are Apostrophe and Overnight Sensation.

In other words, you're not really pushing anymore for quad.

No. I figure if people are having trouble getting something to eat, they're possibly not going to go out and get two extra speakers and another stereo amplifier.

After reading this thread I purchaced a copy of Gloria Gaynor's "Experience" LP. I agree with the previous poster's assertion that it is quad. As for posting a copy.....where might one do that?
I will post the matrix numbers from the dead wax area this evening......

Ok....sorry for the delay. My matrix #'s are:
Side 1: M3G4997AS-PRC-6 TM/JR IVEN PRC
Side 2: M3G4997BS-PRC-5 TM/JR PRC

In the quad CD section - under soundtracks

Company - Original Broadway Cast. Columbia CK 3550 (SQ)

This is just the original stereo version. Very different from the Quad LP and 8-track.

I know the Horizon discs are listed as 'not-quad', but I'm just wondering what the source of that information is? Right next to that thing about Pye QS quad in the March 13/76 issue of Billboard (that I just posted in another thread) was a regular column that Billboard had spotlighting the best of quad demo tracks, and as you can see it singles out a track from Dave Liebman's 'Sweet Hands' (Horizon SP-702).

Is there definitive proof that this isn't quad (ie Ed Michel saying so) or is the 'not quad' conclusion just based on how it decodes? All 5 of the albums in the Horizon 'SP-70x' series were produced and engineered by Ed Michel and Baker Bigsby, who did all of the ABC/Impulse! Jazz albums in single inventory QS. Also interestingly, they did that one Alice Coltrane album for Warner Bros. in '76 that was a stealth QS, presumably because the label was committed to CD-4, even if quad was dead for them by that point. Could the same be true for Horizon/A&M? By 1975 they were committed to CD-4 as well, so maybe Michel was similarly stealthy with his QS encoding?

liebman.jpg

Just for the record, the 5 titles in the Michel/Bigsby Horizon 'SP' series are:

SP-701 - Thad Jones & Mel Lewis 'Suite For Pops'
SP-702 - David Liebman 'Sweet Hands'
SP-703 - Dave Brubeck & Paul Desmond '1975: The Duets'
SP-704 - Sonny Fortune 'Awakening'
SP-705 - Jim Hall 'Live!'

I know the Horizon discs are listed as 'not-quad', but I'm just wondering what the source of that information is? Right next to that thing about Pye QS quad in the March 13/76 issue of Billboard (that I just posted in another thread) was a regular column that Billboard had spotlighting the best of quad demo tracks, and as you can see it singles out a track from Dave Liebman's 'Sweet Hands' (Horizon SP-702).
Is there definitive proof that this isn't quad (ie Ed Michel saying so) or is the 'not quad' conclusion just based on how it decodes? All 5 of the albums in the Horizon 'SP-70x' series were produced and engineered by Ed Michel and Baker Bigsby, who did all of the ABC/Impulse! Jazz albums in single inventory QS. Also interestingly, they did that one Alice Coltrane album for Warner Bros. in '76 that was a stealth QS, presumably because the label was committed to CD-4, even if quad was dead for them by that point. Could the same be true for Horizon/A&M? By 1975 they were committed to CD-4 as well, so maybe Michel was similarly stealthy with his QS encoding?
View attachment 30715
Just for the record, the 5 titles in the Michel/Bigsby Horizon 'SP' series are:
SP-701 - Thad Jones & Mel Lewis 'Suite For Pops'
SP-702 - David Liebman 'Sweet Hands'
SP-703 - Dave Brubeck & Paul Desmond '1975: The Duets'
SP-704 - Sonny Fortune 'Awakening'
SP-705 - Jim Hall 'Live!'
I seem to recall the opinion was all based on listening and no empirical evidence.
I just went with the common consensus among quad collectors for where to list it.
I sure wish we could find more info on those or conformation from someone involved.

Back