Starless, King Crimson box covering October 1973 to April 1974

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put an order in for the box yesterday(looking foward to hearing the quad mix of the Nighwatch set).

Beat is most assuredly coming it's just uh well the um release schedule has been FRANTIC as of late! No slacking on any ones part.

It is getting to the point with such a busy November that not much else can still get a decent share of attention and subsequent holiday traffic.

It's going to be very close on a lot of things IMHO. I'm not being specific at all when I say it could turn out different. All projected dates are predicated on everything being delivered, going right and people's availability. Sometimes it goes awry and we have to adapt. Artists want a different release sequence, tape boxes are missing.

We are indeed lucky bastards to see so many releases happening. The column inches of restated impatience just kills me sometimes. We would all do well to stop and reflect on fact that all of these riches do not have to exist. Rejoice that they do!

When's it coming out? WHEN ITS READY.

From QQ deep space
Excellent post Tim. We all want Beat for xample, but with all the stuff that has been released this year, and even more coming up in Q4, it is a major year anyway. It is fine with me when Beat will be postponed till next year, gives us something to look forward too :)

A lot of things need to be done, especially with re-releases. And with every release, the testers will do the testing in their spare time. As I have experienced with a few Nosound releases I have tested, it takes quite some time to get it done and comment on the test disc. Very rewarding to do though and an honour to be part of it.

image.jpg

The set in all its glory. I finally told Burning Shed to shut up and take my money. They actually had a better price this time than Amazon.co.uk :)

Very excited for this...though I have The Night Watch and TGD, I'm looking forward to hearing the improved audio and having something from the KCCC series since I've never collected any of those... Hope they will do more sets similar for other eras!

Burning Shed have e-mailed me, mine is in the post :banana: with luck it'll arrive Saturday at the latest. If it does I'll post some pictures.

The pictures on rtbluray's reply #63 & #64 show what the box set is like. It is very well put together like the Road to Red. Shame it didn't turn up in time for my birthday last week, but it looks like the wait was worth it :banana:

The back of the box set,

KingCrimson_Starless-Box_Back.jpg

The DVD-A 1 & 2, and BluRay 1 & 2 cardboard cover insides,

CCF17102014_0000.jpg

and now to go and listen to the German, Dutch, & USA concerts in surround on Disc-24, BluRay Disc-2 :51banana:

I only managed to listen to the Elzer Hof Mainz, 1974 German concert it comes in at just over an hour, for a 40 year old live recording the sound is really good, the 5.1 surrounds you as if you're in the middle of the gig, not a discrete mix. I'll admit I'm a bit of an early KC nut, so its great music. I think the quality of the recordings in this box set will be good, and there are days of listening here. :spot

I've just listened to the gig mixed by Steven Wilson, Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, Netherlands, November 23, 1973. I'd say the 5.1 mix is more immersive than the German concert, again musically really interesting versions, and a great encore in 21st Century Schizoid Man.

Don't know if this info has popped up yet on QQ, but David Singleton shared a bit of extra info concerning the Starless box in Issue #49 of PROG:

With the show from Zurich, "The Mincer" is going back in, so for the first time, you can actually hear it complete with where it came from.

The previous release, "Live in Mainz", is now going to be in quad because we've found a very good bootleg of the recording, so I've combined the board recording with the bootleg. This means you've got the board in front, totally dry, and true hall behind, which is a nice ambience.

Just got my box in today!

VERY quick shipping (IMO) from Burning Shed and not a mark on the set either.

I went right to what should be the best disc in the entire set, Disc 24 (or Blu-Ray Disc 2).

Starting off with the S&BB 5.1 mix, it's still the same mix as on the 2011 DVD-A but still sounds just as good as ever.

The 1974 Quad Mix from Pittsburgh is not a stellar mix by any means, but it is an interesting historical artifact nonetheless. It probably should have been included on "The Road to Red" set but they probably didn't find it until just recently.

The 1974 Mainz show is also an interesting addition in surround giving how it was assembled, but the material is fantastic, especially some of the Improvs and Dr Diamond.

The clear highlight of the surround material (besides the S&BB album) is Steven Wilson's superb surround mix of the November 73 Amsterdam concert, and the highlight of that show would be the improv "The Fright Watch". Makes me wish they had included that whole show in surround cause it would be great indeed!

Finally, shoutouts to Bob Romano, Bob Squires, Jon, Eric, and Tim are included in the booklet for their disc testing.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! :)

Well, one of the blu Rays crashes my computer in the middle of a song. For how much this set costs, I'd expect better. Now I have to wait 45 minutes for my solid state drive to reset before I can use my computer again. Does anyone test these things before shipping?

Hmm - still waiting for my pre-order to ship from Amazon Canada. Showing as Out-of-stock with no release date - whatever that means since AFAIK they haven't had any yet. Anyone else had it shipped from amazon.ca?

Back