Marillion in 5.1 (Sounds That Can't Be Made) Confirmed!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw this news!

http://www.marillion.com/news/newsitem.htm?id=356

Hopefully will be done right and more will follow (Marbles please).

Looks like the studio 5.1 blu ray isn't available as a standalone, but is coupled with the 2 live blu-rays. Interesting though, not my favourite Marillion album, but a great sounding album that would sound good in 5.1.

Agreed that Marbles should be done.

Yeah. I'm a big fan so £30 for 3 blu-rays is a nice price. Never thought I'd see the day when a 5.1 Marillion release would come because fans have been asking for years. I'm sure if you didn't want the live discs you could easily sell them on and keep just the album disc, but for me personally I want all 3. :)

I'm definitely down for trying out the Blu-Ray version to get the three Blu-Rays.

I really don't have any Marillion discs, so it seems like now might be a good time to get on board. :)

Question for those that might have this, how is the 'Somewhere in London' Dvd as it lists in 5.1, doesn't say whether dd or dts and mentions that 4 of the album songs included in 5.1.

Now in searching see there are a couple of other bluray concerts, Brave and Live from Cadogan Hall.

Any information on these would be appreciated.

Thanks for the news Simon, and good to see the album also available outside a big box!

Here some pictures,

The deluxe set, limited to 300 copies,
image.jpg

And the 3 bd set,
image.jpg

Question for those that might have this, how is the 'Somewhere in London' Dvd as it lists in 5.1, doesn't say whether dd or dts and mentions that 4 of the album songs included in 5.1.

Now in searching see there are a couple of other bluray concerts, Brave and Live from Cadogan Hall.

Cadogan sounds superb, plus it has the 'Less is More' album included as a bonus in hi-res stereo 24/96. In fact, all the Marillion blu-rays are excellent. The 5.1 mixes arn't the most adventurous (don't expect Steven Wilson type of sound) but they are high quality, well mixed lossless audio. The drums for example, sound really realistic, like you're there right in front of the PA.

Cadogan sounds superb, plus it has the 'Less is More' album included as a bonus in hi-res stereo 24/96. In fact, all the Marillion blu-rays are excellent. The 5.1 mixes arn't the most adventurous (don't expect Steven Wilson type of sound) but they are high quality, well mixed lossless audio. The drums for example, sound really realistic, like you're there right in front of the PA.

Simon, thanks so much for the quick reply, will order the Cadogan as pretty good price for us in Canada as ordering from one of the sellers on amazon.ca.
I don't mind when bands do a stripped down version of their songs, looking forward to this one.

peter

I agree The Cadogan blu-ray sounds great - typical "mainly in the fronts" surround mix tho...

This is great news indeed. I've been a Marillion fan for years. I never thought I'd get a 5.1 mix of any of their albums. While this is not my favorite album, it is a start. Hopefully the mix is good. Any thoughts on who did the mix?

Mixed feelings about this one, as I was terrible disappointed with STCBM. I don't like at all some of the songs (lucky man for example, arrrggg) and i don't like either the way Mike Hunter mixes their records.
I think I'll wait until having more information about who made the 5.1 mix and the mastering. Not interested either in the live concerts, I have too many marillion live albums already. I'd have liked more a standalone 5.1 blu-ray.
And don't get me wrong, I've been a huge marillion fan until their last record and tour and really hope this is just their first re-release in surround, as I'd like to have any of the Fish era records in 5.1 (there's much room for improvement considering the last awful CD remasters) , not to mention Marbles, Brave, Afraid of Sunlight...

Hi, I do have Somewhere in London. All surround audio is humble DD at 48 KHz. The four remixed songs from Somewhere Else have a boring surround mix by... Guess who.. Michael Hunter...

Back