My New 5.1 Audio Only Space

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For calibration purposes, I am going to get a sheet of drywall and paint one half matte white (used for door/ baseboard trim) and the other half Behr 'Silver Screen' to compare.

The Epson 2030 was $200 off this week, so I bit. Very impressive right out of the box. The only adjustment I have made is switching it to Cinema Mode.

A huge difference in picture quality (blacks) was achieved by using the Behr Silver Screen paint colour.

I ordered the matching ceiling mount and 8" extension pole yesterday morning.

I love having a 96" display. It is viewable anywhere on the lower level.

I guess I will have to change the name of the thread now, :)

Attachments

• screen matte.jpg
    screen matte.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 332
The Epson 2030 is up. It looks amazing.

I had originally ordered the 8" extension arm for the mount, but it turned out I didn't need it.

Returning it to the Epson Store was seamless. Great customer service from them.

The mounting dimensions from the Epson site calculator were so accurate, I did not have to use any keystone adjustments.

This is a flash photo. The image projected is much sharper and with more contrast.

Attachments

• pj fr.jpg
    pj fr.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 272
The Epson 2030 is up. It looks amazing.

I had originally ordered the 8" extension arm for the mount, but it turned out I didn't need it.

Returning it to the Epson Store was seamless. Great customer service from them.

The mounting dimensions from the Epson site calculator were so accurate, I did not have to use any keystone adjustments.

This is a flash photo. The image projected is much sharper and with more contrast.

So glad you chose to put in the HT! Now you have a listening space and a space to show off your stuff! (Make the Brother-in-law jealous)! When completed you will love it! Especially due to the effort and time put in to it. (and $)

... When completed you will love it! Especially due to the effort and time put in to it. (and $)

It won't be any fun when it's done. I think that is why I am dragging my ass on the room. :)

Being fun, it is no effort.

It is surprising how cheap the 2030 was on sale and the 'silver screen' maybe cost $30 in materials.

Combining a Netflix subscription and a $60 Roku HDMI stick = HD Video-On-Demand on-the-cheap in-the-big is a plus.

Last edited:
congratulation Phil and in fact you're lucky one to do your dream sound room from scratch. it's much much easier than redoing after someone.
that's pretty big room would be and need quite bigger pusher for air to move it across such space. perhaps you should start to look around as
it gonna take quite a time to find really good deal.

congratulation Phil and in fact you're lucky one to do your dream sound room from scratch. it's much much easier than redoing after someone.
that's pretty big room would be and need quite bigger pusher for air to move it across such space. perhaps you should start to look around as
it gonna take quite a time to find really good deal.

Thanks Otto. :)

Actually the Polk PS10 fills the room perfectly.

I lucked out with placement. Acoustically the room seems ideal.

The bass sounds equal throughout the entire space. I did locate one spot in the workshop area to the right of the screen (the floor is 'L' shaped) that causes a bit of bass emphasis, but it is minor and I am usually using power tools in there anyway.

I think a lot of the acoustics are due to the unfinished ceiling. I may never finish it off. Just the walls and floor will be finished.

I finally got all the speaker wire up off of the floor and my son got me a great 22 Gage HDMI cable from Monoprice for the Epson.

I added a bit more black fabric to the screen wall.

Attachments

• large matte.jpg
    large matte.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 227
A few more refinements.

I moved the disc shelves to the other side to make room for a fireplace and added a pub table and some plants.

All of the wiring and lighting has been ESA inspected and approved.

Attachments

• media.jpg
    media.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 191
I'm getting there.

I managed to get the image diagonal size to 110" using Behr Silver Screen paint.

A couple more sheets of drywall, the floor, and a rough sawn 1X8 pine ceiling to go.

Finishing the screen wall has not affected the room acoustics fortunately.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 496
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 135
  • command.jpg
    command.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 505
For the surround uninitiated it is quite a jolt. Great fun when they look around trying to figure out where the sound came from.

For the surround uninitiated it is quite a jolt. Great fun when they look around trying to figure out where the sound came from.

Said it before and it will never stop, how many times? Have you stopped the movie and got up to answer the door, phone or another noise you thought was coming from the house? I still, to this day even with TV have to mute because I thought I head something, or was that just outside?? Always the dam audio!! :confused:

Back