My New 5.1 Audio Only Space

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The case for treating the windows may be overstated in this instance they don't go from floor to ceiling and in fact appear to stop practically above the height the tops of the speakers are set at.. one anecdotal 'no-no' is putting speakers directly in front of panes of glass (i.e. rear of spkr cabinet in front of a window as opposed to a wall) but that doesn't look like these windows will affect filper's setup in that kind of way at all.. there's said to be issues with the way sound reverberates around the space with reflections Vs absorption of glass but again it's not like the room is one big glass box or has an entire wall of glass running down the LHS.. if you were gonna get picky you might be more concerned about the open plan/lack of wall running down entire length of RHS of the pic but really with room correction in a 5.1 system nowadays I doubt you'd have any major problem.. no, I bet it'll sound lovely, lively and open, airy and scrumdiddlyawesome! Great space, probably the best upgrade one can make to a system is to move to a bigger/better pad!

I am not even putting blinds on them. It would spoil the view.

it would be a shame to spoil the view, though you may ultimately opt to install blinds for TV/movie watching unless you do it all when the sun goes down or do critical viewing in another part of the house instead :) it must be an exciting time for you rediscovering music etc in your new space and experimenting with setup! please do post with updates as the space evolves!

The case for treating the windows may be overstated in this instance they don't go from floor to ceiling and in fact appear to stop practically above the height the tops of the speakers are set at.. one anecdotal 'no-no' is putting speakers directly in front of panes of glass (i.e. rear of spkr cabinet in front of a window as opposed to a wall) but that doesn't look like these windows will affect filper's setup in that kind of way at all.. there's said to be issues with the way sound reverberates around the space with reflections Vs absorption of glass but again it's not like the room is one big glass box or has an entire wall of glass running down the LHS.. if you were gonna get picky you might be more concerned about the open plan/lack of wall running down entire length of RHS of the pic but really with room correction in a 5.1 system nowadays I doubt you'd have any major problem.. no, I bet it'll sound lovely, lively and open, airy and scrumdiddlyawesome! Great space, probably the best upgrade one can make to a system is to move to a bigger/better pad!

I have never known anybody in England to have that sort of space. U.S residents are lucky in that way. My sister's friends in U.S.A have even more room than that and they are by no means super wealthy. Great stuff!

Right now first reflective points are minimal.

That my change when I drywall.

drywalls come a long way over the years, there are now extra dense panels of plasterboard (they're mighty heavy I just installed some in a communal hall space recently, no wonder my back aches!) which somewhat lessen reflection and particularly lower transference of sound through timber studwork, the face of a large expanse of drywall will still act as a reflective soundboard which can't really be avoided unless you use more expensive acoustically rated panels on top of drywall which have higher absorption but the dense plasterboard all helps cut it back a bit and may well be sufficient.

it would be a shame to spoil the view, though you may ultimately opt to install blinds for TV/movie watching unless you do it all when the sun goes down or do critical viewing in another part of the house instead :) it must be an exciting time for you rediscovering music etc in your new space and experimenting with setup! please do post with updates as the space evolves!

The room is for music only. The only thing behind us is a farm about 3 KM away. If the owner wishes to purchase a scope to see me scratch the boys... enjoy. :)

We have a plasma in the living room upstairs for flicks.

Yes, I guess we North Americans should appreciate our space a bit more.

The room is for music only. The only thing behind us is a farm about 3 KM away. If the owner wishes to purchase a scope to see me scratch the boys... enjoy. :)

haha! you can crank that system to 11.. and beyond!! (y)

ah.. Space.. the 5.1 frontier..! :p

- "What do you do if you see a spaceman?
- "Park in it, man!" :ugham:

Do you have a sound system upstairs for movies? That space is a great place to start a home theater. Pull down screen, nice cozy seats-popcorn machine and a BEER COOLER!

Do you have a sound system upstairs for movies? That space is a great place to start a home theater. Pull down screen, nice cozy seats-popcorn machine and a BEER COOLER!

I have had a dedicated home theater room. We used it once a week...

I may get a big-ass display for flicks in the piano di gratto, but for now I will keep them separate.

I have had a dedicated home theater room. We used it once a week...

I may get a big-ass display for flicks in the piano di gratto, but for now I will keep them separate.

I've had a dedicated room in one house and shared rooms in others. My preference is to have my 5.1 music shared. It's on quite a lot and it needs to be part of my living area.

In my last house (smaller than my current) I had my fronts in my lounge room, with big TV and projector, and my rears were in the next room (my kitchen, really a large open plan area). That was a great setup for surround music/concerts as the large central kitchen island bench was a 'bar' inside my surround field.

Now I have a larger open plan area and my adjoining dining room/kitchen is outside the surround field (all my 5.1 speakers are inside my lounge area). I really miss the old setup now when I sit at my kitchen 'bar' with 5.1 going. Sound is still good but gone are the surround localisation effects.

In my last house (smaller than my current) I had my fronts in my lounge room, with big TV and projector, and my rears were in the next room (my kitchen, really a large open plan area). That was a great setup for surround music/concerts as the large central kitchen island bench was a 'bar' inside my surround field.

Interesting. This is my upstairs area. Plasma on the right of the shot.

I could do something like you had up there some day...

Attachments

• up 51.jpg
    up 51.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 416
Phil, thanks for the updates on what's happening with you and the pic's of your new home, things are looking good.
Have you had time to enjoy the latest surround offerings in your new environment?

peter

Phil, thanks for the updates on what's happening with you and the pic's of your new home, things are looking good.
Have you had time to enjoy the latest surround offerings in your new environment?

peter

Hi Peter,

I am still catching up with my backlog of unplayed inventory that so many sharing people here at QQF have helped me aquire. :)

Update; I have spent the last few months wiring lighting and outlets (all move each time I rearrange the wall plans) :).

I am just waiting on a building permit to starting framing. Great fun !

The master electrician who connected my work to the panel suggested I have him install a whole house surge protector (which I did), Google Sycom SYC-120/240-T2. A pittance when you add up the value of all your gear and appliances.

I am also investigating a projector for the room. You may be able to make out the green tape outline on the wall.

Screen size will be 84" wide by 47" high. Lighting is now optimized and fully controlled remotely.

Attachments

• up.jpg
    up.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 382
Take a look at the Epson 2030 1080p 3 LCD projector. I talked the office into it as a replacement for a failed lesser DLP unit.

Dazzler for $849 @ crutchfield.com

From QQ deep space

Take a look at the Epson 2030 1080p 3 LCD projector. I talked the office into it as a replacement for a failed lesser DLP unit.

Dazzler for $849 @ crutchfield.com

From QQ deep space

That is exactly the projector I am targeting. In fact, I have already done the math for mounting and wiring it.

Funny you brought that one forward. I was in Barrie today sizing one up. :)

With 100% light control and a carte blanche for mounting position I think I am good to go.

Thanks timbre4 for the input.

Awesome. Your screen size should line up real good. I've had the 60x80 pull down for 12 years and need to go 84 or 92 wide now. It would go larger if I had the room! Bright, clear, amazing throw!

Still trying to figure out a carrying case as this will be used on the road 3-4 times a year.

From QQ deep space

There are a few Epson cases out there, I just need to get the one closest in dimensions since they don't specify one for the 2030.

From QQ deep space

Back