Blood Sweat & Tears - Child is Father To The Man Reel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a former CBS employee, I've heard those 8 tracks from Child mixed to Quad and IMHO the mixes leave a bit to be desired. Yet, I love all the released BS&T Quad mixes: BS&T (II), Greatest, Mirror Image and New City. Although I'm a huge BS&T fan and prefer surround mixes wherever possible, IMHO the CBS Mastersound Gold CD is the way to listen to Child. It also has bonus tracks from the December '67 audition, only four of which are available on any other issue of the album. I've owned Child on LP, Mastersound 1/2 speed LP, Japan CD & Mastersound Gold CD.

mwoKfRtCvdHQUc-PBi5npWQ.jpg
1994 Master Sound Gold CD edition bonus tracks (Columbia CK 64214):
"I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know" [demo version - mono] (Kooper) – (6:10)
"Refugee from Yuhupitz (Instrumental)" [demo version - mono] (Kooper) – (3:44)
"I Can't Quit Her" [demo version - mono] (Kooper, Levine) – (3:00)
"Morning Glory" [demo version - mono] (Beckett, Buckley) – (4:11)
"Somethin' Going On" [demo version - mono] (Kooper) – (5:19)
"The Modern Adventures of Plato, Diogenes and Freud" [demo version - mono] (Kooper) – (5:03)

These two issues offer SOME of the aforementioned bonus tracks:

2002 remastered CD edition bonus tracks:
"Refugee from Yuhupitz (Instrumental)" [demo version - mono] (Kooper) – (3:44)
"I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know" [demo version - mono] (Kooper) – (6:10)
"The Modern Adventures of Plato, Diogenes and Freud" [demo version - mono] (Kooper) – (5:03)

2012 remastered Limited edition 24k gold CD bonus tracks (IMPEX IMP8306):
"I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know" [Demo - mono] (Kooper) (6:13)
"Refugee From Yuhupitz (Instrumental)" [Demo - mono] (Kooper) (3:46)
"I Can't Quit Her" [Demo - mono] (Levine-Kooper) (3:04)
"The Modern Adventures of Plato, Diogenes and Freud" [Demo - mono] (Kooper) (5:25)

Mobile Fidelity UDCD 742 Gold CD has no bonus tracks.

The Master Sound version is very rare. I found mine at Tower in '94 and only saw it again once or twice, even at Tower.

I did get Al Kooper to sign my Mastersound Gold CD when we met a few years ago. :smokin

I'm not sure how I missed the Master Sound version in my lifetime but I do have the MFSL version which sounds decent.

That's a very early SILVER CD by MoFi, custom pressed by Sanyo. I have a few in that series: Phil Ochs' Gunfight, Woodstock (I & II) with mis-labeled track #'s, and Alan Parsons' I Robot. Watch for an EBay sale of I Robot in a few weeks, which I'll announce on QQ.

Now back to Child.

For those who may not own Al Kooper's I Stand Alone, it has the REAL picture of Child's cover in it's gatefold with the REAL children. I got Al to sign that, as well. In order to get a bigger copy of the photo than the Japanese CD booklet, I rebought a used LP of I Stand Alone and didn't realize until I got it home that it was a promo and it, too was signed by Al.

Gatefold from Japan CD, REAL Child photo is in lower right:
Al Kooper - I Stand Alone (Japan) - Booklet (2-2).jpg
(res is high, so you CAN blow up the photo)

This was Kooper's first solo album, after leaving BS&T. Super Session, a great Quad, predates it by a few weeks.
$_35.JPG

I remember when the first BS&T LP first came out. I looked at the cover and found it eery. Then, I played it and the music matched the cover art perfectly. :D Still my favorite BS&T LP overall. I just remembered that I have Spirit - "The Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus" on that MFSL Silver Label too.

Oh, yes, I have that MoFi issue of 12 Dreams, as well. That was later, and I think someone other than Sanyo pressed it. I had met Randy & Ed before they passed and should have had that signed. Too late now. Again, off topic, but 12 Dreams is in my 10 favorite albums. IMHO, the US Epic/Ode CD with bonus tracks and an extended intro on Mr. Skin replete with "calliope organ" is the one to own.
munfnLT_21kK-Znx9Npt6Sg.jpg

I remember when the first BS&T LP first came out. I looked at the cover and found it eery. Then, I played it and the music matched the cover art perfectly. :D Still my favorite BS&T LP overall. I just remembered that I have Spirit - "The Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus" on that MFSL Silver Label too.

Correctamundo! He was body surfing in Hawaii with his son. He saved the child, but was never found.

I met Randy and Ed a few weeks prior to that happening. I called my friend who was with me when I met them and said, "Randy's gone." "No way!" he replied. "We were just with them a few weeks ago." RIP

Randy passed? I thought he just disappeared, never to have found his body.

Not that I know of, but there is a quad reel of side 1 of BS&T Greatest Hits, which uses the 2nd alternate mix of BS&T for songs from that album, and the standard quad mixes of the other tracks. But that doesn't include the song either, since that was on side 2.

Actually...you're right. I reviewed the list of Mike Robin reels contained on this site, and tape 52 is a sampler that is said to include that track. A copy of that reel hasn't surfaced yet, though.

As a former CBS employee, I've heard those 8 tracks from Child mixed to Quad and IMHO the mixes leave a bit to be desired. Yet, I love all the released BS&T Quad mixes: BS&T (II), Greatest, Mirror Image and New City.

If the 5.1 Multichannel mix makes it to a Multichannel SACD or a Multichannel DSD Download (or both) someday, maybe we'll get to hear Al Kooper's mix of the album! You never know.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ILD-IS-FATHER-TO-THE-MAN-5-1&highlight=kooper

As I posted in the thread Brian linked, ten years ago, I met Al Kooper. He confirmed that Child and Super Session had indeed been mixed in 5.1 At that time, he said Columbia had no plans to release them. It seems nothing's changed.

Back