A Multichannel SACD "Sonic Feast" !

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
The new Multichannel SACD by the Pittsburgh Symphony on Reference Recordings is getting a rave review on the All Music web site.
The reviewer says, in part, the album offers multichannel music fans "a sonic feast"!

This follows a "Multichannel Disc of the Month" award in December from Audiophile Audition.
Not bad for a Multichannel SACD that sells for as little as $11.95 plus shipping....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00FB7MPWI

"If any music seems ideally suited for the multichannel super audio format, the lavish orchestral tone poems of Richard Strauss must be at the top of the list. This hybrid SACD of Strauss' Don Juan, Death and Transfiguration, and Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks is a sonic feast for audiophiles, and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra under Manfred Honeck delivers these orchestral masterpieces with high energy, vivid tone colors, and crisp details that are a sheer delight to experience. "

Strauss.jpg
Strauss - Pittsburg Symphony Orchestra (Reference Recordings, Hybrid Multichannel SACD, FR-707SACD)

http://www.allmusic.com/album/richa...-till-eulenspiegels-merry-pranks-mw0002581556
http://audaud.com/2013/12/r-strauss...rch-manfred-honeck-reference-recordingsfresh/

"The only downside to such a meticulous recording is that the physical exertions or humming of the conductor are easily heard, so listeners will have to get past them to enjoy the orchestra's terrific playing."

What!? That is ridiculous.

Edit: Ah what the heck...I ordered it anyway.

"The only downside to such a meticulous recording is that the physical exertions or humming of the conductor are easily heard, so listeners will have to get past them to enjoy the orchestra's terrific playing."

What!? That is ridiculous.

Edit: Ah what the heck...I ordered it anyway.

They mic'd the conductor?! :mad:@:

Humming and grunting are among my favorite sounds. Perhaps it's why I dig Keith Jarrett.

And why, on early Jethro Tull albums, listen for Ian Anderson's grunting and howling ("Bouree" the most obvious) even when a bit buried in the mix...choice stuff.

ED :)

The new Multichannel SACD by the Pittsburgh Symphony on Reference Recordings is getting a rave review on the All Music web site.
The reviewer says, in part, the album offers multichannel music fans "a sonic feast"!

This follows a "Multichannel Disc of the Month" award in December from Audiophile Audition.
Not bad for a Multichannel SACD that sells for as little as $11.95 plus shipping....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00FB7MPWI

View attachment 14143
Strauss - Pittsburg Symphony Orchestra (Reference Recordings, Hybrid Multichannel SACD, FR-707SACD)

http://www.allmusic.com/album/richa...-till-eulenspiegels-merry-pranks-mw0002581556
http://audaud.com/2013/12/r-strauss...rch-manfred-honeck-reference-recordingsfresh/
I have a copy - it is the typical classical big stereo. And it is 5.0 although it says 5.1 on the back cover.

The fidelity is great and I like the music but "Multichannel Disc of the Month" ? Who are these people who think that if any sound is coming out of the rear speakers then it is a multichannel recording? For heaven's sake, get educated please.

I have a copy - it is the typical classical big stereo. And it is 5.0 although it says 5.1 on the back cover.
There is no reason to have 5.1 for music. Bass management belongs in the playback system, not in the studio.

The fidelity is great and I like the music but "Multichannel Disc of the Month" ? Who are these people who think that if any sound is coming out of the rear speakers then it is a multichannel recording? For heaven's sake, get educated please.
This is educated because it is an effort to accurately reproduce the live performance. If you want to superimpose artificial effects, have at it but don't cripple a great recording with unrealistic gimmicks. Or stick to music that was created in the studio and for which there is no real-world reference.

There is a big divide between those of us who want recordings to recreate a performance and those who want to synthesize a new experience. Thank goodness the vast majority of classical recordings target the former.

For over 40 years, I've been listening to surround sources. Rock/pop recordings aren't an accurate representation of a live performance. Instead, they are a MANUFACTURED experience, assembled in the studio, just as stereo and mono pop recordings are. As a season subscriber of the Chicago Symphony for many years, a surround recording with hall effect in the rears IS an accurate representation of a live performance. If recorded accurately, it is the REAL hall effect, rather than something synthesized by a DSP. Classical recordings with instruments all around are often pleasing, although they aren't real.

... a surround recording with hall effect in the rears IS an accurate representation of a live performance.
Hello Linda.

A system with just two side-surround speakers cannot provide an accurate representation of a live performance. Maybe it can take you, say, 50% of the way there and that might be good enough. I my case (a very suboptimal system) the side ambiance speakers provide a fantastic enhancement of the music listening experience. It is incredible how much they contribute, considering that their sound level is perhaps 50-70 dB below the main's.

I believe DSP offers the largest potential for a more accurate (and enjoyable!) representation of musical events.

Also, most recordings are 2-channel. The only way to get more envelopment from them is DSP (extraction and/or recreation).

Sure, two side or rear speakers cannot give an accurate representation of the concert hall. Hypothetically, having completely accurately reproduced recordings won't sound the same in the same concert hall, depending on having an audience or not.

Although I respect your DSP comments, I personally enjoy Quad synthesis better than DSP for most things. Accurately "dialed-in" DSP could be great on live acoustic music, though.

Has anyone here heard any of the TACET Real Surround Sound classical music recordings? For me these, with 5 discrete channels of music, are much more satisfying than recordings that offer only ambiance in the rear speakers.

For over 40 years, I've been listening to surround sources. Rock/pop recordings aren't an accurate representation of a live performance. Instead, they are a MANUFACTURED experience, assembled in the studio, just as stereo and mono pop recordings are. As a season subscriber of the Chicago Symphony for many years, a surround recording with hall effect in the rears IS an accurate representation of a live performance. If recorded accurately, it is the REAL hall effect, rather than something synthesized by a DSP. Classical recordings with instruments all around are often pleasing, although they aren't real.

That's why labels like Channel Classics and PentaTone record their Classical Multichannel SACDs & DSD Downloads in real acoustic locations and spaces. It results in some pretty memorable albums, even if they aren't from the immersive school of Surround Sound.

Has anyone here heard any of the TACET Real Surround Sound classical music recordings? For me these, with 5 discrete channels of music, are much more satisfying than recordings that offer only ambiance in the rear speakers.

I have a couple but only have 1 listen on each...Nice discrete recordings as I recall...

Beethoven.jpg

Mozart.jpg

Speaking of Multichannel sonic feasts, today's Free DSD Track in Multichannel & Stereo DSD is from the Channel Classics album "Bach Motets". Audiophile Audition rates the album as 5 Star and says
"Listening to these gorgeous, smooth as silk accounts in marvellous surround DSD, one cannot but be impressed by the beauties of the singing line gently and unobtrusively underpinned by the gentlest of continuo."

You can download track # 1 from the album in Multichannel & Stereo DSD at no cost by visiting https://www.nativedsd.com

Bach Motets - 300w.jpg
Bach Motets - Netherlands Chamber Choir (Multichannel DSD, Channel Classics 27108)
https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/27108-six-motets

Back