Deep Purple - Made In Japan Blu Ray Audio in 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And is Richie Blackmore on the left channel and Jon Lord on the right, like on the original album mixed by Glover and Paice? Or vice versa, being mixed from the audience point of view, like the tripple CD "Live in Japan"?

-Kristian

guitar on the left channel, organ on the right

I compared the HFPA bluray to the DCC gold disc version. The dcc disc at volume wants to tear my tweeters out and scatter the bits all over downtown Toronto. The HFPA at greater volume isn't as fatiguing and I'm sure the entire building has a new found appreciation for Roger Glover's bass and Paice's left-handed technique....

This is mentioned elsewhere on QQ but there is a specific point relevant to this discusson: Steven Wilson has remixed Made In Japan to 5.1 - but it is ‘on the shelf’. :-(

There are a lot of things I’ve done that have gotten shelved. I mean, Deep Purple’s Made in Japan (1973) — I did that years ago, and it never came out.
(http://hiresaudiocentral.com/hrac-exclusive-steven-wilson-talks-hi-res-to-the-bone-5-1-mixing-aspirations/)

The first part of the quote is even more depressing - a LOT of his remixes have been shelved? Aaagh!

We should start a new thread..."What shelved title makes you most depressed?"
Mine is definitely Goldfrapp's "Black Cherry"...along with Boston's S/T SQ mix...

We should start a new thread..."What shelved title makes you most depressed?"

Ha ha!

I'm not sure which is worse - the ones we know that have been shelved, or the many that Steven Wilson won't even mention (in case it causes problems). It means that there are definitely a number of SW mixes ready to go that we don't even know about.

so they went right back to the multi's.. and only did a stereo remix :mad:

they've listed 16 tracks to flesh it out and make it look like better value for money when really you're just getting the same old numbers in the original '72 mix remastered and the Caveman's 2013 remix in Stereo.

why can't the people at Universal disseminate the facts?!? Are they employing morons who wouldn't know a 5.1 remix if it clobbered them over the head!?!

oh and how comes there's only the original album on the Blu-ray rather than extras? any extras! I guess that goes against the grain of the "Pure Audio" ethos :howl

Clueless arses, thieving bastards or dogmatic purists? Hmm... :mad:@:

If I were the head of this HFPA initiative I would hang my head in shame at the net result of what it's achieved so far.. amateurish, un-coordinated, ignorant of their target audience, patent lack of effort, lack of transparency of mastering and source (until pushed on the subject).. it's almost like they have learned absolutely no lessons from their mistakes of the past, yet the HFPA head talks about SACD and how and why it "failed" like he's swallowed the Hi-Res history book and he's going to conquer the world with a half-baked Blu-ray with absolutely bugger all but the original album on it in dubious sound quality.

Unless there's more 5.1 on these HFPA's I'm done with them. The mastering is too inconsistent to buy them on a whim purely for Stereo.

case in point, the difference in sound quality between the HFPA and the Platinum SHM of Supertramp/Breakfast In America is stark.. and even though the SHM came from Japan, it cost me £20 including shipping and the HFPA was £25 incl shipping when I got it from France 12 months ago. The SHM takes up less space, has more faithful packaging to the old LP, etc but most importantly it sounds a hell of a lot better - and it's just a CD, no extravagant waste of high capacity disc space. GRRRRRR...!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :howl:flame

Morons is too good to describe those dudes running record companies :)

Odd for me as Steven has said in previous interviews that he is not keen on remixing live albums into 5.1 he has not done many King Crimson officially live albums that I can think of.
Not sure how much of a Deep Purple fan he is either not that made in Japan is a bad album but it was never in my books a great album.

Over the years I have thought how great would 'Come taste the Band' be in surround ?

Not sure how much of a Deep Purple fan he is either not that made in Japan is a bad album but it was never in my books a great album.

Would like that the "never a great album" were all so good, emblematic and iconic as MiJ. ;)
Hope that the SW 5.1 mix will see the light of the day as soon as... yesterday!

Odd for me as Steven has said in previous interviews that he is not keen on remixing live albums into 5.1 he has not done many King Crimson officially live albums that I can think of.

I see your point, but I think (perhaps) not being a big DP fan makes the MiJ choice understandable. He only does albums he personally likes, so it seems quite possible that he might be a ‘casual’ DP fan who grew up with MiJ as the album he knew and liked the best. I bet there's a lot of people who only have MiJ.

Over the years I have thought how great would 'Come taste the Band' be in surround ?

Turns out SW is a Hawkwind fan. Not much of a stretch that he would be a DP fan. He clearly likes progressive rock!

Robert Fripp seems to prefer live recordings mixed to stereo according to liner notes. SW still managed to at least hit the improvs and get 5.1/4.0 mixes of those included on releases in spite of that.

I'd love to hear a SW 5.1 mix of MIJ! Followed closely by In Rock & Fireball. Then of course WDWTWA? We need In Concert BBC in there too. A new mix of MH might be nice after that but with the original quad being excellent I'd be fine with just everything else. :D

Turns out SW is a Hawkwind fan. Not much of a stretch that he would be a DP fan. He clearly likes progressive rock!

Robert Fripp seems to prefer live recordings mixed to stereo according to liner notes. SW still managed to at least hit the improvs and get 5.1/4.0 mixes of those included on releases in spite of that.

I'd love to hear a SW 5.1 mix of MIJ! Followed closely by In Rock & Fireball. Then of course WDWTWA? We need In Concert BBC in there too. A new mix of MH might be nice after that but with the original quad being excellent I'd be fine with just everything else. :D

A fourth multichannel version of Machine Head? I feel like I shouldn't buy it but I probably would...one of my all time favorites.

I see your point, but I think (perhaps) not being a big DP fan makes the MiJ choice understandable. He only does albums he personally likes, so it seems quite possible that he might be a ‘casual’ DP fan who grew up with MiJ as the album he knew and liked the best. I bet there's a lot of people who only have MiJ.

For old farts like me that grew in the seventies, MiJ was a mandatory album. Everyone had it in some form, original bootleg or taped. Everyone.
The only other album that had such status was DSOTM, with Harvest, 4 Way Street, Simon & Garfunkel GH and Selling England By The Pound fighting for the second place.

Only Stereo, but this 7 1/2 ips reel tape is the best sounding version I have ever heard.

Attachments

• P1020683.jpg
    P1020683.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 254
For old farts like me that grew in the seventies, MiJ was a mandatory album. Everyone had it in some form, original bootleg or taped. Everyone.
The only other album that had such status was DSOTM, with Harvest, 4 Way Street, Simon & Garfunkel GH and Selling England By The Pound fighting for the second place.

What? No mention of Frampton Comes Alive? :smokin
I was just a kid in the 70's and everyone seemed to own that album

What? No mention of Frampton Comes Alive? :smokin
I was just a kid in the 70's and everyone seemed to own that album

I had that album, not sure if "everyone" else did. Most did, but likely not all. Why? Well, many made the big mistake of thinking Frampton was just another pretty face with no talent. Oh, how wrong....

I had that album, not sure if "everyone" else did. Most did, but likely not all. Why? Well, many made the big mistake of thinking Frampton was just another pretty face with no talent. Oh, how wrong....

...The Herd, Humble Pie, Frampton's Camel......................:banana:

Back