HiRez Poll Emerson Lake & Palmer - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY [DVD-A/BDA] [2014 MIX]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Emerson Lake & Palmer - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY [2014 Mix]

• Total voters
I apologize for the derail, but , since I had an actual conversation with the mixing engineer I thought it'd contribute to the thread and make it a bit clearer as to why it wound up like that (even if it is "speculation", according to you , but it's logical that someone like JJ would NOT have done that on purpose).

As it , is, I already voted and mentioned that JJ's mix "recaptured" the "darkness" of the original mix, which was totally lost (and I'm not saying it's a bad thing!) in the Kellogg mix-and as I always say, it's always great to have yet another "take" on such a seminal album, especially since all the reviews just concentrate on the "bass solo" part and ignore the rest for the most part.

It's not just the 'bass solo' part. The mix of Emerson's organ solo in the 3rd Impression is also a complete botch, it sounds like some sort of crossfaded mashup of different takes. And overall, levels are inconsistent across the album.

I don't know if Jakko is responsible. The 'Greg Lake did it' theory is not credible, especially as his vocals suffer in the mix too (and he was very precious about his vocals) and it makes no sense that he would 'target' just one track. I don't know who's responsible ( I would assume whoever is credited as the *producer* of the set). But clearly somewhere along the line quality control went AWOL on this release.

It's not just the 'bass solo' part. The mix of Emerson's organ solo in the 3rd Impression is also a complete botch, it sounds like some sort of crossfaded mashup of different takes. And overall, levels are inconsistent across the album.

I don't know if Jakko is responsible. The 'Greg Lake did it' theory is not credible, especially as his vocals suffer in the mix too (and he was very precious about his vocals) and it makes no sense that he would 'target' just one track. I don't know who's responsible ( I would assume whoever is credited as the *producer* of the set). But clearly somewhere along the line quality control went AWOL on this release.

I agree that it isn't very likely that Greg Lake interfered and had free reign over JJ's mixes.
And yes, Keith Emerson's amazing Hammond solo is totally ruined by the cross mixing of 2 tracks in KE9 3rd. I don't see why Greg would have wanted it that way in the remix. So nah, the "Greg did it" theory doesn't fly for me.
There are other elements about the mix that are also curious, to say the least. Like the missing tubular bells in Jerusalem (on the 2 track stereo remix they are absent, but they are present in the 5.1 mix) and some other rather peculiar mixing choices that deviate from the original.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I am not passing blame onto anyone, but personally I am convinced it wasn't any of the original ELP that had any final say over the mixing.

to be honest, I'm positive we will never know what the f*** happened...

I also disagree with the "Greg Lake did it" cause it would be shooting himself in the foot, but I was just trying to make the point that it wasn't JJ's fault....but you never know what was going thru Greg's mind...

The only thing I know is that he was not a very pleasant person to work with.....hence SW bowing out..

but , enough speculation from me or rt is gonna get mad again....

Totally agree. I know it's not perfect, but I've loved the 2000 dvd-a since I got it and don't understand how much negativity it gets. I love the Fragile dvd-a as well, but it has far more problems than BSS imo.

Having just upgraded my system, I played the 2000 DVD~A of BSS tonight and it sounds unbelievable on my system. The clarity, discreteness and bass are perfect in every way.

I have not heard the newer remix but all I can say is whoever doubts that Brain Salad Surgery, the 2000 DVD~A 5.1 is not a minor masterpiece......come on a my house and hear it for yourself. Cranked up to 12 if you like!

Addenda::yikes I inadvertently placed this post in the wrong thread and apologize. It's early AM and I haven't been to bed yet. Pulled an all nighter.

Dear QQ folks,

I just noticed that a new ELP boxed set is on the way. Has there been any rumblings of a fix for the Karn Evil 9 3rd impression mix? I'm sure a better one was done, and it must be sitting on a hard drive somewhere. Also, it's amazing that no one has found the multi's for Anaheim civic and done a new mix of it. It's a great documentation of keith in his prime.

I put Jakko's mix of KE9 Third impression up on Audacity to see if I could figure out what went wrong, whether it was just some weird channel swapping but no, there's an entire lead line missing near the beginning, and the bass has been copied full range, and really loudly, to every channel (except LFE, which is just low thumps) throughout the whole track . Just a mess and not fixable by us mortals.

To his credit though, in KE9 1st Impression pt 2, JJ *does* do a better job of rendering Keith's Hammond solo than the 2000 crew did. On the famous original stereo mix there's a few bars in the middle ( at 1m 48 sec on the JJ 5.1) where Keith hammers on a D# -- he does this for three bars -- but on the 2000 it only lasts for two bars. Jakko restored it to three. You can tell from comparing all of them that this solo is an amalgam/has an overdub at that point.

Back