HiRez Poll Emerson Lake & Palmer - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY [DVD-A/BDA] [2014 MIX]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Emerson Lake & Palmer - BRAIN SALAD SURGERY [2014 Mix]

• Total voters
A solid 9.
-1 point because of:
*Them not offering the MCH in the 3 disc set
*the SHODDY transfer/litho reproduction of Giger's eerie cover (it looks like an overblown jpg with extra saturation and less contrast)
For this poll aren't you supposed to be rating the DVD-A 2014 mix? So why include your disappointment with the 3 disc set and litho which has nothing to do with the audio quality or the mix???

Is it fair to compare a mix to a previous mix? I dunno, but there's no way not to, we do not live in a vacuum. I don't know how I'd feel if the previous 5.1 mix didn't exist. But, I do know that listening to this mix didn't give me the same feeling as listening to the previous one. My 2000 dvd-a has gotten many plays over the years, most drives from Maine to Jersey involved throwing that disc in the car dvd player for a spin...always an enjoyable listen while flying down I-495. Always a great disc to pull out when demonstrating my system. One of my first dvd-audio purchases, and probably the best. I was quite sad at how underwhelming the ELP and Tarkus 5.1 mixes were for me, and now this.....we didn't need another 5.1 mix of it, and it is just not as good. But the real question is, what was he thinking mixing the bass that high in Karn Evil 9 3rd impression? It just sounds wrong. And it's all that more puzzling when finding it wasn't mixed that high in the new stereo mix. I don't get it. I am certainly familiar with focusing on a certain part and being blind to it sticking out too much when in the process of mixing.....but that's why you step away and come back, that's why you play it for other people for feedback, that's why there are so many opportunities in the process for someone to notice, hey, this is wrong, you need to fix that. Anyone and everyone that listened to this mix before it was released has failed us all miserably by not doing their duty to point out the obvious, that the bass is too loud and sticks out like a sore thumb. The best way I can describe it is that it has been transformed into a bass solo (with band and vocal accompaniment). It might not bury everything else, it may not hide everything else, and it may be a great bass sound. But it sticks out, and sounds obviously wrong.

With the underwhelming mix, with it standing in the shadow of a great mix, and with the obvious inexcusable mixing error that went unfixed, I see no way I can rate this any higher than a 4. The sonics and content may be good....but the bad mix drags it down that much.

Also....secondary stuff I normally don't care about, but, I guess I had a more critical eye on this package with the disappointment in the way it was marketed, and the content after listening. For the price, the package was....well....cheap. Grab an original vinyl copy, put it next to this.....wow, they look completely different. They completely missed it when reproducing the artwork. I've never cared that much or paid that much attention to artwork reproduction, but, I think when putting together a deluxe package at a premium price, the details ought to be paid attention to. In this case, they were overlooked. The cover doesn't recreate the same cut to open, the color is off, the reproduction is mediocre at best, the discs are in cheap cardboard sleeves kept in slots in the cover, disc 5 is just carelessly thrown into the album cover, and the poster isn't even folded properly so the faces appear through the opening. Why in the hell couldn't they even fold the poster properly? Is that really that difficult to do?

It's a super deluxe cluster fuck.

Last edited:
I'd like to say a thank you for the reviews of what is a well respected album. Like many i hold the original DVD-A of BSS in very high regard, and it would appear that this mix will go down in history as being worse than ELP & Tarkus, which in my view are very amateurishly mixed.

I bought them and have never played them since. I'll save my money on this release.

I'd like to say a thank you for the reviews of what is a well respected album. Like many i hold the original DVD-A of BSS in very high regard, and it would appear that this mix will go down in history as being worse than ELP & Tarkus, which in my view are very amateurishly mixed.

I bought them and have never played them since. I'll save my money on this release.
I still haven't opened ELP and have had since it first came out. No plans to get this Brain Salad Surgery since I've got the STS SACD.

There's a version of this coming out in Japan still without the surround sound though I think it says it has it.

I prefer the original DVD-A 5.1 mix. I don't like this new version. The CD remix is also not to my liking. I prefer the original version. Disappointed with Jako's work to be honest.

I prefer the original DVD-A 5.1 mix. I don't like this new version. The CD remix is also not to my liking. I prefer the original version. Disappointed with Jako's work to be honest.

Yes, I have to agree. Seeing that my box set is sitting on the shelf, unplayed since the first time, speaks volumes. Where is the computer voice at the end? Lost in the mix...
Also, the LP is underwhelming as well, with too much midrange, and levels all over the place.

Geoff

Played this again today...VERY GOOD MIX ..
I repeat ...the last KE9 section with the WAY TOO LOUD BASS is Greg Lake's fault....cause the rest is an EXCELLENT mix that replicates the original in a very strict way...Jakko is great mixer...

How could that be Lake's fault if Jacko did the mix? Couldn't he simply lower the bass in the mix???

GL was the supervisor and "all seeing ear"..hence SW's refusal to do any more of ELP's mixes...

There are TWO things you do not want in the Control Studio...GL is one of them....

I just got and listened to the Japanese DVD-A of this. I can verify that it does in fact have the 5.1 lossless mix. I wasn't expecting much given some of the comments here. I'll admit, I never really was too familiar with this album as a whole and forgot which song was mentioned as having the reported bass problem in the new mix. I figured it would jump out at me, but upon hearing the whole album last night, it never did. When I went back to check this forum for the offending track, I went back to listen to it and still didn't seem to notice a problem To me, it is a very nice mix overall.

Today I went to listen to the original mix of Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression. Voila! Now I know what everyone was talking about here. On the original, the keys are really loud and the bass is almost non-existent. Good thing for me that the original mix is not precious to me because I actually like the more pronounced bass version. OK, time to duck and cover. :yikes But before I do, to those that were on the fence about this one, IMO it is worth picking up especially now that you can get the mix without having to shell out for the box set.

Attachments

• BSS front.JPG
    BSS front.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 328
  • BSS back.JPG
    BSS back.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 328
I just got and listened to the Japanese DVD-A of this. I can verify that it does in fact have the 5.1 lossless mix. I wasn't expecting much given some of the comments here. I'll admit, I never really was too familiar with this album as a whole and forgot which song was mentioned as having the reported bass problem in the new mix. I figured it would jump out at me, but upon hearing the whole album last night, it never did. When I went back to check this forum for the offending track, I went back to listen to it and still didn't seem to notice a problem To me, it is a very nice mix overall.

Today I went to listen to the original mix of Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression. Voila! Now I know what everyone was talking about here. On the original, the keys are really loud and the bass is almost non-existent. Good thing for me that the original mix is not precious to me because I actually like the more pronounced bass version. OK, time to duck and cover. :yikes But before I do, to those that were on the fence about this one, IMO it is worth picking up especially now that you can get the mix without having to shell out for the box set.

URL Link where you bought please :banana:

glad you like it. It is an excellent mix.

Back