New SACD 5.1 from Audio Fidelity

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohhhhh....

Tusk would be amazing or the other Fleetwood Mac that was "rumoured" (pardon the pun) to be mixed already...

what else was mixed in the SACD/DVD-A era but not released?

The first Buckingham/Nicks added Fleetwood Mac album (the White Album). There's a 5.1 version of Monday Morning on the last Acura DVD-Audio demo disc. I want it all.

I'd like Paul Simon's "Graceland". It was rumored to have been mixed into surround however I hope it is a better surround mix than his "You're The One."

I'd like Paul Simon's "Graceland". It was rumored to have been mixed into surround however I hope it is a better surround mix than his "You're The One."

Graceland is a bit of a tricky one since PS went from Sony to Warner and back to Sony again and the 5.1 mix would be licensed from Warner (who commissioned it back in their DVD-A heyday) while the rights are now in Sony's hands.. do-able I guess but complicated. Maybe AF have negotiated that particular minefield.

However, what we do know is that one of these upcoming SH 5.1 SACDs is of an album that has already received a Mastersound Gold release.. and has been remixed into 5.1 by SH himself and not an existing mix.. doesn't narrow it down hugely or help that much but..

Classic Rock + Previously Unreleased on SACD + Previously released on Mastersound 24k = ...?????

Ohhhhh....

Tusk would be amazing or the other Fleetwood Mac that was "rumoured" (pardon the pun) to be mixed already...

what else was mixed in the SACD/DVD-A era but not released?

If rumours & pre-order info from back in the day are to be believed, apparently..

SONY SACD:

Labelle - Nightbirds,
Byrds - Fifth Dimension,
Michael Jackson - Thriller,
Blood Sweat & Tears - Child Is Father To The Man,
Al Kooper - Supersession,
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand The Weather,
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew,
Boston - 1st album,
Bob Dylan - a further 15 titles were planned for SACD by Sony (only some in MultiCh),
Janis Joplin - Pearl.

UNIVERSAL SACD:

The Killers - Hot Fuss,
Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane,
Elton John - Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player,
Elton John - Caribou,
Elton John - Rock Of The Westies,
Elton John - Here and There,
Elton John - Blue Moves,
Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic,
Steely Dan - Katy Lied,
Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill,
Steely Dan - Countdown To Ecstasy.

WARNER DVD-A:

Rod Stewart - A Night On The Town,
Bread - Best Of Bread,
Jean-Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messenger,
Chicago - X,
The Cars,
Madonna - Music,
Madonna - GHV2,
Deep Purple - Burn,
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac (1975 album),
Stephen Stills - Stephen Stills (solo debut),
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Déja Vu,
A-Ha - Minor Earth, Major Sky,
Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill,
Blues Brothers - OST,
Christopher Cross - Self titled Debut,
David Sanborn - Voyeur,
Don Henley - Inside Job,
Faith No More - The Real Thing,
The Doobie Brothers - Minute By Minute,
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking,
Little Feat - Dixie Chicken,
Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus,
Joni Mitchell - Blue,
Joni Mitchell - Court & Spark,
Joni Mitchell - Hejira,
Joni Mitchell - Ladies Of The Canyon,
Michael McDonald - The Voice Of,
Judy Collins - Wildflowers,
Todd Rundgren - Something Anything,
Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman (Self titled LP),
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - By The Way,
Stone Temple Pilots - Shangri-La Dee Da,
Rush - Vapor Trails.

EMI/Virgin SACD/DVD-A:

David Bowie - Low,
Beach Boys - Surf's Up,
Queen - A Day At The Races (afaik tapes were pulled but unsure if any remixing done),
Phil Collins - No Jacket Required.

I guess the market for multichannel titles is becoming hard to ignore. If Steve Hoffman is talking 5.1, then maybe we're finally starting to get some attention!

The only SACDs I've purchased from AF have been multichannel. If they want more of my money, they need more multichannel titles. With their present selection, once I have all the Elton John SACDs, there's not much else I would get. After having my last Burning Shed purchase lost in the mail (No Man - Together We're Stranger DVD-A :howl), I like that AF sends by Fed-Ex and I can track the shipment. If AF gives me more to choose from, I'll be buying from them more often.

If rumours & pre-order info from back in the day are to be believed, apparently..

SONY SACD:

Labelle - Nightbirds,
Byrds - Fifth Dimension,
Michael Jackson - Thriller,
Blood Sweat & Tears - Child Is Father To The Man,
Al Kooper - Supersession,
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand The Weather,
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew,
Boston - 1st album,
Janis Joplin - Pearl.

UNIVERSAL SACD:
The Killers - Hot Fuss,
Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane,
Elton John - Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player,
Elton John - Caribou,
Elton John - Rock Of The Westies,
Elton John - Here and There,
Elton John - Blue Moves,
Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic,
Steely Dan - Katy Lied,
Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill,
Steely Dan - Countdown To Ecstasy.

WARNER DVD-A:

Rod Stewart - A Night On The Town,
Bread - Best Of Bread,
Jean-Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messenger,
Chicago - X,
The Cars,
Madonna - Music,
Madonna - GHV2,
Deep Purple - Burn,
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac (1975 album),
Stephen Stills - Stephen Stills (solo debut),
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Déja Vu,
A-Ha - Minor Earth, Major Sky,
Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill,
Blues Brothers - OST,
Christopher Cross - Self titled Debut,
David Sanborn - Voyeur,
Don Henley - Inside Job,
Faith No More - The Real Thing,
The Doobie Brothers - Minute By Minute,
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking,
Little Feat - Dixie Chicken,
Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus,
Joni Mitchell - Blue,
Joni Mitchell - Court & Spark,
Joni Mitchell - Hejira,
Joni Mitchell - Ladies Of The Canyon,
Michael McDonald - The Voice Of,
Judy Collins - Wildflowers,
Todd Rundgren - Something Anything,
Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman (Self titled LP),
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - By The Way,
Stone Temple Pilots - Shangri-La Dee Da,
Rush - Vapor Trails.

EMI/Virgin SACD/DVD-A:

David Bowie - Low,
Beach Boys - Surf's Up,
Queen - A Day At The Races (afaik tapes were pulled for this but whether any remixing went on I don't know),
Phil Collins - No Jacket Required.

Chili peppers By the Way? That would be amazing. Tray Chapmen, Jane's addiction and Maroon 5 would also be great.

What gets released would depend on who owns the catalog i would presume. Some artists own their own masters so AF would have to ask them or their estate, others obviously owned by major record labels who can be a pain to work with. AF previously worked with Wendy Dio for Holy Diver, i am sure that one would be possible!

I like a lot of those titles listed and as they are already done, why not release them?

Hopefully Steve will announce something very soon. It is not nice to tease :{

I guess the market for multichannel titles is becoming hard to ignore. If Steve Hoffman is talking 5.1, then maybe we're finally starting to get some attention!

The only SACDs I've purchased from AF have been multichannel. If they want more of my money, they need more multichannel titles. With their present selection, once I have all the Elton John SACDs, there's not much else I would get. After having my last Burning Shed purchase lost in the mail (No Man - Together We're Stranger DVD-A :howl), I like that AF sends by Fed-Ex and I can track the shipment. If AF gives me more to choose from, I'll be buying from them more often.

If anyone, we must-support the format! It's the members here that crave more releases. This may be a great opportunity. I'm giving up my new Ford F-150 PU for more 5.1 buys. (Only until fall, I'm not crazy after all!)

If anyone, we must-support the format! It's the members here that crave more releases. This may be a great opportunity. I'm giving up my new Ford F-150 PU for more 5.1 buys. (Only until fall, I'm not crazy after all!)

I am giving up crack and prostitutes to fund more 5.1!

Graceland is a bit of a tricky one since PS went from Sony to Warner and back to Sony again and the 5.1 mix would be licensed from Warner (who commissioned it back in their DVD-A heyday) while the rights are now in Sony's hands.. do-able I guess but complicated. Maybe AF have negotiated that particular minefield.

However, what we do know is that one of these upcoming SH 5.1 SACDs is of an album that has already received a Mastersound Gold release.. and has been remixed into 5.1 by SH himself and not an existing mix.. doesn't narrow it down hugely or help that much but..

Classic Rock + Previously Unreleased on SACD + Previously released on Mastersound 24k = ...?????

My 2 cents worth....Bob Seger - Stranger in Town....

I received this email from AF's MB...."Thanks for the email. I am looking forward to seeing how the 5.1 titles fair in the market to see if we do more."

For all the caterwaulers on this site who cry havoc when a high fidelity release is stereo and/or mono only I would firmly suggest and implore you to purchase these upcoming releases as they are made available. Money talks...and bullshit walks.

Scheiner mixed a 5.1 for Rhythm of the Saints too. THAT's the one that I want bad.

I'd pretty much take any Paul Simon. Also I'll not be giving up my craft brewed beer to fund surround releases. However I might need to reconsider my beer taste. Looking forward to new surround release and at least in the beginning will buy them provided they are SACD or DVDA. I will not buy DTS, DD releases.

I received this email from AF's MB...."Thanks for the email. I am looking forward to seeing how the 5.1 titles fair in the market to see if we do more."

For all the caterwaulers on this site who cry havoc when a high fidelity release is stereo and/or mono only I would firmly suggest and implore you to purchase these upcoming releases as they are made available. Money talks...and bullshit walks.

Thanks for the info from Mr.B (y)

I totally agree with the sentiment that us QQ-ers need to get behind this AF 5.1 initiative 110%..

..but the tone's a bit harsh.. the 'caterwaulers' who don't "put their money where their mouth is" are in the minority here, imho...

..time and again QQ members shell out for surround music stuff in the hope that will encourage the labels to release more of the same..

..and what do we get? Quadio? Where the plug gets pulled after just two releases..?!? :mad:@:

I'm keeping everything crossed Audio Fidelity pull it off with this 5.1 endeavour and buck all the trends! (y)

I'd pretty much take any Paul Simon. Also I'll not be giving up my craft brewed beer to fund surround releases. However I might need to reconsider my beer taste. Looking forward to new surround release and at least in the beginning will buy them provided they are SACD or DVDA. I will not buy DTS, DD releases.

Consider this...the surround sound release is an investment and is sure to increase in value. Beer; no matter how crafty it is, has an expiry date and you're only renting it...

That's right. Opinions and votes are nice, but purchases (money) is what talks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back