New SACD 5.1 from Audio Fidelity

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does anyone give two shit's about what others like and may find interesting? What's it to him? This reminds me of this women who is a anti-marijuana advocate, like, don't you have a job? Or something better to do than trying to run others lives?
Stereo is a wonderful thing! From the day I discovered the "sweet spot" I loved the effect. Until quad came along. Life is not in stereo, it's all about you, and so are sounds. I agree with some of his concerns, regarding proper placement, and production values, who wouldn't? Common sense.
Essentially his 'rant" is concerning just that aspect-production. HE seems to disagree with himself at one point.
After all, no one really cares if he listens to 2.0 , I don't! Why should anyone care what SH chooses to do?

Check out this nut job from the SH forums; his response is baffling. This guy is an idiot.

Well, the key to Audio Fidelity's approach is that everyone gets what they want.

Audiophiles and Stereo fans get a Hybrid SACD with both Stereo CD and Stereo SACD versions of the albums to be released. And Surround Sound/Multichannel fans get the bonus they want - a 5.1 high resolution edition of the album in addition to the Stereo CD and Stereo SACD versions of the music. It's what a Hybrid Multichannel SACD is all about - something for everyone and something for multiple markets.

If you want Surround Sound, it's there. If you want Stereo - either conventional CD or high resolution SACD - it's there too.

We'll see how the market responds when the 5.1 SACDs are released. I suspect that most fans won't want to miss out on the high resolution Stereo tracks just because a third choice - a high resolution Multichannel track is also present.

Stay tuned....

Releasing Switched on Bach in surround would be up to Wendy Carlos, since she acquired the rights many years ago. She re-released it on both a single CD and as part of the Switched-On box set, which you need if you don't already own it. Ms. Carlos is reputed to loathe S-O-B in Quad, at least as SQ.

My understanding is that Carlos likes the Discrete Quad version of SOB but not the SQ edition. If you compare the Discrete Q8 Tape to any decoded SQ version (Tate, Audionics, SQ Final II, etc.) you'll know why. They aren't even close. The Q8 blows away the others.

What does anyone give two shit's about what others like and may find interesting? What's it to him? This reminds me of this women who is a anti-marijuana advocate, like, don't you have a job? Or something better to do than trying to run others lives?
Stereo is a wonderful thing! From the day I discovered the "sweet spot" I loved the effect. Until quad came along. Life is not in stereo, it's all about you, and so are sounds. I agree with some of his concerns, regarding proper placement, and production values, who wouldn't? Common sense.
Essentially his 'rant" is concerning just that aspect-production. HE seems to disagree with himself at one point.
After all, no one really cares if he listens to 2.0 , I don't! Why should anyone care what SH chooses to do?

What side are you batting for? :}

Why should i care? Feedback is the reason AF are doing 5.1 in the first place, the more positive the better. Thus, i encourage those not interested to bog off. If you do not care why respond? That is somewhat contradictory.

"What side are you batting for? :}
Why should i care? Feedback is the reason AF are doing 5.1 in the first place, the more positive the better. Thus, i encourage those not interested to bog off. If you do not care why respond? That is somewhat contradictory."

I think you are disagreeing with an "Agree-er"....... <he's on yer side.....> John

Check out this nut job from the SH forums; his response is baffling. This guy is an idiot.

This guy is clearly misguided. He lost all credibility when he mentioned using the reflection of the sound off of multiple surfaces with just two speakers. I guess, he's never heard of room correction and why it's important, either passive or a digital based system. I could go on about many other points but why bother? :yikes

Last edited:
What side are you batting for? :}

Why should i care? Feedback is the reason AF are doing 5.1 in the first place, the more positive the better. Thus, i encourage those not interested to bog off. If you do not care why respond? That is somewhat contradictory.

He said that he did not care for sounds that made no sense coming from certain speakers, the production values. Not defending his rant, but I can see why he is on it. Evident he has not been exposed to the good 5.1. only the poorly made.
No, I'll never leave the idea of 5.1 music-ever. It's just people need to be exposed to better produced music in 5.1.

My understanding is that Carlos likes the Discrete Quad version of SOB but not the SQ edition. If you compare the Discrete Q8 Tape to any decoded SQ version (Tate, Audionics, SQ Final II, etc.) you'll know why. They aren't even close. The Q8 blows away the others.

That's been my understanding of her stance as well. I read her entire surround sound primer about a million years ago (written in 2001, I think) and seem to recall that not only does she love surround sound, but has actually mixed nearly everything she's ever recorded into surround hoping for a destination format that would convey it properly in the future (given her distaste for matrixed quad and the other formats available in the '70s). Obviously, we have plenty of great formats to choose from now, so I would love for everything to make its way out and into our hands. Sadly, I fear that the costs of digitization, restoration, duplication, and distribution might be too high without some sort of promise for reasonable profit for Wendy to take on without some backing.

Maybe someone should contact her and suggest launching a Kickstarter. If they did FLAC downloads or data DVDs they could dodge some costs.

Sure, he's entitled to his opinion, and I'm entitled to mine: What an ASSHOLE! :mad:@:

I’m afraid that my take on this is going to offend a few of you. I think that Steve and Kevin spending their precious time on 5.1 surround is a very bad idea....

Cheers! Mark

:howl So because he can't figure out that mixing/production is part of the artistic process no-one should have 5.1 :flame and if you spread the sound across channels you tend to get lower imtermod distortion so the 'audiophile' quality will go up, not down. Mono, stereo, 5.1 and beyond have there place, you can like them all or none!
....... and if we can't have 5.1 how come we can hear behind us! :banana:

I’m afraid that my take on this is going to offend a few of you. I think that Steve and Kevin spending their precious time on 5.1 surround is a very bad idea.

I saw that post too and was tempted to reply but with a few folks over there it's just banging your head against a wall, and just not worth the aggravation. Any thread over there that mentions 5.1 seems to bring out the naysayers and they rarely add anything new (or of consequence) to the discussion at hand. If nothing else, when I was done shaking my head at his rant I did get a bit of a chuckle out of it too.

This would be the perfect opportunity to release the titles that were supposed to be released at the roll out of DVD-A that never saw the light of day. I'm up for them all. I don't even care what the titles are. I would also love to see some nice classic quad titles thrown in unfutzed with as 4.0. I will buy them all just to support the effort. Thanks Marshall!!

I'd like "Face Value" in 5.1 which is my favourite. :spot

Allen Sides (Ocean Way Studios) mentions a song from that album in the Geek interview as an example of what he mixed to 5.1. Says he's got lots of stuff but no delivery method.

Also says he knows nothing about FLAC and says blu-ray could be used but needs video (not a direct quote but meant this). Someone needs to contact him (AF?) and get that sorted. He is a big fan of 5.1 and loves 192/24 but prefers ambient rears with big front stage... Anyway he says he has 5.1's and I say please release them to AF!

Looking at the albums on his studio website there could be something very special hidden in the archives!

http://www.oceanwayrecording.com/albums.php

Remember Everyone...........If these babies come out like and exactly how we hope they do, We alllllll have to jump over each other to get to these ASAP.

No Box sets of vinyl or redundant schlop to get at the 5.1 Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I have bought a freaking lot of 5.1 within the last year and a half of groups that I normally would not have, only because those tunes that I was or not so much into are so freaking beautiful to hear now. I know I sound like a gooooooofball, but that is how 5.1 has opened up the door for me.

I am not a big EJ fan, but lo & behold with Fredblue's avid EJism..........I gave them a try and WOW............

So I am hoping for titles that I will like, but I am willing to buy the stuff that I may be borderline or "WAS" not so much a fan of..............all for the sake of our life light that is 5.1 :51banana:

Oh btw.....just saying, has anyone noticed how the 5.1 skies may have opened up since Snood has joined QQ............Just Saying :rolleyes:

Remember Everyone...........If these babies come out like and exactly how we hope they do, We alllllll have to jump over each other to get to these ASAP.

No Box sets of vinyl or redundant schlop to get at the 5.1 Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I have bought a freaking lot of 5.1 within the last year and a half of groups that I normally would not have, only because those tunes that I was or not so much into are so freaking beautiful to hear now. I know I sound like a gooooooofball, but that is how 5.1 has opened up the door for me.

I am not a big EJ fan, but lo & behold with Fredblue's avid EJism..........I gave them a try and WOW............

So I am hoping for titles that I will like, but I am willing to buy the stuff that I may be borderline or "WAS" not so much a fan of..............all for the sake of our life light that is 5.1 :51banana:

Oh btw.....just saying, has anyone noticed how the 5.1 skies may have opened up since Snood has joined QQ............Just Saying :rolleyes:

Ah, the "Snood factor" at work !

I busted on him over SH Forums. Plan9 made a nice retort about his lack of listening experience in the 5.1 realm. What an utter maroon!

One thing that cracked me up about his rant was that he was worried poor Steve Hoffman & Kevin Gray would spend way too much of their precious time mixing 5.1 releases. That could cause a vacuum in the stereo world! Because, he claims, it takes inordinate amounts of time to do these 5.1 projects.

Now, I don't know the actual time involved. I imagine it could eat up a lot of time if the tapes have problems and so forth. Same could be said for a stereo deal. If they are going with those mixes already done then that makes it pretty easy. Plus, if the project takes off and the demand grows, simply hire more engineers! Win win for everyone!

One thing that cracked me up about his rant was that he was worried poor Steve Hoffman & Kevin Gray would spend way too much of their precious time mixing 5.1 releases. That could cause a vacuum in the stereo world! Because, he claims, it takes inordinate amounts of time to do these 5.1 projects.

Now, I don't know the actual time involved. I imagine it could eat up a lot of time if the tapes have problems and so forth. Same could be said for a stereo deal. If they are going with those mixes already done then that makes it pretty easy. Plus, if the project takes off and the demand grows, simply hire more engineers! Win win for everyone!

Everything is done on laptops these days. As long as the tapes have been transferred to digital it is not a huge process(obviously still takes a certain amount of time). Sounds like fun to me; not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back