New SACD 5.1 from Audio Fidelity

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U would of had to kidnap me! Up to a lil over year and half ago I was in a stereo fog and had no clue about this surround world.

Altho as long as you kept plenty of Rum & Cokes and video games on hand...........I probably would have not minded it :yikes

U would of had to kidnap me! Up to a lil over year and half ago I was in a stereo fog and had no clue about this surround world.

Altho as long as you kept plenty of Rum & Cokes and video games on hand...........I probably would have not minded it :yikes

no worries, we have members who are armed and are proficient in gun use, me for example-I have an AR-15 a shotgun and a 45 cal. pistol.

Facebook update from SH..

"People have been asking me for more details, sorry, not allowed to say much yet, a lot of pre-production stuff to figure out. Audio Fidelity is going to do a few 5.1 SACD's to test the market, see if they sell. There are very vocal fans but are they the same 100 fans all over the internet yelling about this? AF isn't sure but when they release one of these surround SACD's, all will be known. If it sells, makes its money back, more will be done, of course. I think the first one will be an artist mixed 5.1 version in DSD plus the CD section will have the original stereo mix remastered by me from the vintage analog stereo mix so non-SACD people can have a great reason to buy the disk for their CD players as well. As soon as I'm allowed to talk more about it, I will."

Facebook update from SH..

"People have been asking me for more details, sorry, not allowed to say much yet, a lot of pre-production stuff to figure out. Audio Fidelity is going to do a few 5.1 SACD's to test the market, see if they sell. There are very vocal fans but are they the same 100 fans all over the internet yelling about this? AF isn't sure but when they release one of these surround SACD's, all will be known. If it sells, makes its money back, more will be done, of course. I think the first one will be an artist mixed 5.1 version in DSD plus the CD section will have the original stereo mix remastered by me from the vintage analog stereo mix so non-SACD people can have a great reason to buy the disk for their CD players as well. As soon as I'm allowed to talk more about it, I will."

My guess is its either one (or both!) of the 5.1's Al Kooper remixed for SACD yonks ago (Super Session & BS&T's Child Is Father To The Man)

If Audio Fidelity is looking for something that will sell plenty, it well better be something v-e-r-y popular and not mastered in surround yet. Or, I'll go find him and twist his nipples. Did I say that out loud?!

My guess is its either one (or both!) of the 5.1's Al Kooper remixed for SACD yonks ago (Super Session & BS&T's Child Is Father To The Man)

If I remember correctly the standard "Super Session" CD is from the SQ Master. Anyway we'll have to show that there are more than a 100 5.1 fans!

New music pleaseeee!!! Not old old classics neither new versions of the same re-re-re-re-releases!

My dream come true would be Heaven Or Las Vegas from Cocteau Twins (not mainstrean music, that's why just a dream)...

Anyway this is a great news, the two AF SACDs I own (Touch and Blade Runner) are a master example of the format and leave in me high expectations =)

no worries, we have members who are armed and are proficient in gun use, me for example-I have an AR-15 a shotgun and a 45 cal. pistol.

With that .45 you are dating yourself, grandpa. (y)

I know, I have a Colt 1911 as well. All the kids these days want a 9mm with triple capacity magazines...

Nobody here is forecasting a nice juicy progressive rock release to be one of the first 5.1 releases, sigh... Then at least let it be an unreleased Elton John
or how bout another classic WHO recording? :phones ..or even Robin Trower - Bridge Of Sighs... sigh...

I wish that were the case but seems unlikely from what SH has said.. "DSD.. mixed by the artist".. Warner's 5.1 stuff was always PCM usually mixed by a gun for hire rather than the artists themselves.

Remember that regardless of the label, the artist often has the say on which Recording Engineer and which Mastering Engineer does the Surround Sound and Stereo mixing and the mastering. Along with approval of the end result before it can be released. So that isn't a particularly surprising bit of information.

Remember that regardless of the label, the artist often has the say on which Recording Engineer and which Mastering Engineer does the Surround Sound and Stereo mixing and the mastering. Along with approval of the end result before it can be released. So that isn't a particularly surprising bit of information.

I'm not talking about artist involvement or approval.. what I'm getting at is, how many 5.1's were physically remixed by the artists themselves rather than an engineer? Not many I'll bet.

It's one of the things that points to B,S & T or Super Session. Al Kooper himself remixed them both into 5.1, in DSD (he insisted on staying in the analogue domain as much as possible throughout the mixing process) which he did for SACD release.. which got cancelled (as Jon here said, it's a release that got shelved from back in the SACD heyday).

Warner's 5.1 stuff was always PCM usually mixed by a gun for hire rather than the artists themselves.

Well, there were DVD Audio releases from Warner that originated in Surround in DSD. Examples include Carly Simon's "No Secrets" and Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" that were mixed to 5.1 Surround in DSD.
In fact, at the time, Joni Mitchell, her manager and engineer were quite vocal about wanting to see that album released on SACD vs. DVD Audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back