Jeff Beck Blow by Blow 5.1 SACD! From Japan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jon; Thanks for the pictures. I LOVE the extra large paper case. I see no reason why all 5.1 & 2.0 packaging/releases can't be bigger.

Is there only just one old 4.0 quad mix on all the Blow By Blow releases? Or is there a modern 5.1 remix as well? My favorite Beck record, by far.

What's really cool is that somebody somewhere went to the time, effort, and care to create this package. It would be great if it became some sort of series as opposed to a one-of. I wonder what the story is behind this. Was it conceived by Jeff Beck, Sony Japan, his management, or who?

Whoever it was, I thank them. Here's a promo shot of the entire package:

Attachments

• Beck.jpg
    Beck.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 237
Thanks Jon, just ordered from cdjapan. With about 160 points and the (quality) air mail shipping previously used for a couple of HQCD+DVDA PT discs, total cost was US$53.88. I have the single layer SACD bought it in 2009 not long after the Oppo 970 HD and the beginning of surround for me, but couldn't resist this package.

It's one of the SACDs that Sony Music created from the 4.0 Quad Mixes. Same mix as the original Multichannel SACD released in the U.S. market - but now it is a Hybrid SACD disc.

Thanks bmoura for clarifying. So all SACDs were either 2.0 or 5.1(4.0), but the multi-channel came from a 1970's quad tape. And I guess we are hoping for a release of the 1970's quad mix of Wired, as well...

Has there been any talk of a modern 5.1 remix from the 1st gen multi-track in the last decade or so? Not complaining at all over the legacy 4.0 mix. I've heard this and I think it sounds fantastic. I am surprised to learn what I am hearing is an old quad tape from the 1970's.

Just making sure there isn't a new remix on the horizon before I spend $53 for an older quadrophonic tape source.

I understand wanting to be sure before making the leap. Given how record labels like to repurpose existing materials, plus the marketplace perception that this quad mix is a bonafide classic, this is likely the definitive release.

Further to that point, if a newer mix ever appeared, you'd probably have zero problem getting your money out it as it's always an A list title and then would be an OOP sought after item.

Totally safe purchase IMHO.

From QQ deep space

Thanks bmoura for clarifying. So all SACDs were either 2.0 or 5.1(4.0), but the multi-channel came from a 1970's quad tape. And I guess we are hoping for a release of the 1970's quad mix of Wired, as well...

Has there been any talk of a modern 5.1 remix from the 1st gen multi-track in the last decade or so? Not complaining at all over the legacy 4.0 mix. I've heard this and I think it sounds fantastic. I am surprised to learn what I am hearing is an old quad tape from the 1970's.

Just making sure there isn't a new remix on the horizon before I spend $53 for an older quadrophonic tape source.

It's one of several Multichannel SACDs that Sony Music issued back in the day from the 4.0 Quad Masters. Others included Herbie Hancock's "Headhunters" (also in 4.0) and then a pair that they created 5.1 mixes which were "adapted" from the 4.0 Quad mix - "3+3" by the Isley Brothers and "Ship Ahoy" by the O' Jays.

One question that was discussed on QQ is whether if the 4.0 Quad master is to be used, should the record label just make the SACD a 4.0 release or should they adapt it a bit to make it 5.1.

On Blow by Blow, now that Sony Japan has reissued it, it's likely that it would be awhile before any of the reissue labels take a run at it. They tend to look for titles that no one else is doing and are not currently in print. So I guess that makes a purchase here a safe one.

As to Wired, you can certainly drop Audio Fidelity an email request for it to appear as a 5.1 Multichannel SACD. I know I'd like to see that happen as well!

I received this today. Very cool and unique packaging although I'm not sure where to store it - the sleeve measures 7 x 7! No worries, it's a nifty design. It's little wonder the Japanese have eschewed digital downloads. The packaging out of Japan always seems to be first rate.

I hadn't previously owned this mix although it's been on my 'wish list' for years. It sounds terrific. I would highly recommend this release to those on the fence.

Back