PC for Multichannel Music Playback - What's your Setup?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi people, quick question I have a yamaha rsv 577 surround sound reciever, which is 5.2 my question is I have some old SQ quadraphonic records, with the Audio Techinca AT 440MLA cartridge with the new micro line stylus which

I believe will track Quad SQ records from Columbia but not the RCA CD-4 vinyl. so with the 5.2 if I disconnect the center speaker and leave the rest hooked and play them through Dolby Pro logic II Music will that give me the true SQ martix as a regular Quad receiver would, or not? the Audio Techinca is 20 to 20,000 and I also have the audio Techinca AT 92ED with a 3x 7 Eplipical stylus, and the at 92ED is 15 to 27,000. which one would I use to play the SQ quadraphonic records.

huggy

will that give me the true SQ martix as a regular Quad receiver would, or not?
DPLII will put out of phase elements in rear but same it will do with relatively wide mixed stereo as well.
nevertheless it won't exactly mimic the work of SQ decoder.

thanks otto for the answer. so if I find a SQ decoder how would I hook it up to a 577 yamaha surround sound reciever? and use the SQ decoder instead of the DP II music setting? or I can't do it.

huggy

Huggy: It does not take any special kind (shape/range) of stylus to play SQ, or QS records, that only applies to the CD4 type. A decent stylus that you use for stereo will work for SQ and QS. Rather than hunting down an old SQ decoder which is easy but is probably on the verge of giving up the ghost due to age (and there are only 1 or 2 types that had decent separation to begin with..."Tate"), your best bet is to go buy one of the new Involve units from the fellows in Australia. See the special Forum section that is here on QQ for them. That is just my advise. If you wanted just an old junker SQ decoder I could give you one.....but it would mostly be a waste of your time. John

thanks otto for the answer. so if I find a SQ decoder how would I hook it up to a 577 yamaha surround sound reciever? and use the SQ decoder instead of the DP II music setting? or I can't do it.

huggy
John Svensson has said it very well.
i can add only one more option - if you have time to play with, you may record your quad LPs to PC and decode them
into separate channels in Adobe Audition by using SQ and QS scripts. then just convert it into any surround format such
like MLP for DVDA, DTS for ADVD or DTS-CD, or leave it just as 4.0 PCM for BD-A.

Hi guys and girls, a short question about dvd audio extractor. I use this to rip my dvd-a's. Those are mostly done so now I start with the bd-a's. But for some reason dvdae freezes when there is a blu ray in the optical drive. Do I miss some addtional software?

An alternative I use now is using MakeMKV to make an mkv, and use Audiomuxer to extract flac files. A bit more work with the same end result. But using dvdae would skip a few steps, so if someone could give advice on this situation, it would be appreciated :)

not sure about the freezing issue but DVDAE will not extract from BDA without first decrypting the copy protection. I use AnyDVD HD which runs in the background and allows you skip any secondary processes. It should be noted that DVDAE only extracts the core DTS stream @ 24/48 from DTSHD MA. It will however extract full streams of Dolby TruHD and PCM at 24/96

I use a few tools to extract MC audio:

I used to have a hacked PS3 for SACD's but it succumbed to the YLOD. Still looking to get another one from Ebay, but that's always risky. Did manage to get the SACD of Hotel California along with most of my stereo discs ripped before it died. I keep these in original DSD as .dsf files.

For DVD-A, I use the free DVD-Explorer. Still works for me (windows 8.1), but it's no longer supported by the developer. It will rip the tracks to wav then I use dbpoweramp to convert to FLAC.

For Blu Ray Audio: Rip with MakeMKV. Then use AudioMuxer to extract the MC audio to FLAC and split into tracks.

Tagging: I use the discogs plug-in with Foobar 2000. Then do another lossless FLAC conversion with dbpoweramp to rename the files according to the tags.

I copy all the files to an external hard drive that I use with an Oppo BDP-103.

Hi Jan and Elmer, thank you for your information. I do not have DVDfab or Anydvd HD. From what I see so quickly, these are both subscription based software packages?

Use MakeMKV. It's free while still in Beta. It gets updated constantly. You can then use the free Audiomuxer to extract the audio from the resulting MKV files.

An alternative I use now is using MakeMKV to make an mkv, and use Audiomuxer to extract flac files. A bit more work with the same end result. But using dvdae would skip a few steps, so if someone could give advice on this situation, it would be appreciated :)
i'm not sure what you looking for, something to extract stream or to recompile blu ray.
if extraction then have you tried HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor?
http://code.google.com/p/hdbrstreamextractor/downloads/list
it's lightweight, simple and as name suggested - purposed to extract streams from disc or folder. oh, and it is free as well.

i'm not sure what you looking for, something to extract stream or to recompile blu ray.
if extraction then have you tried HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor?
http://code.google.com/p/hdbrstreamextractor/downloads/list
it's lightweight, simple and as name suggested - purposed to extract streams from disc or folder. oh, and it is free as well.

Does it extract from encrypted discs, or do you still need to run dvdfab or anydvd in the background?

have no idea. you can try out, anyway this one is portable thus not even need to be installed.
just extract into some directory and click to run.

I have yet to have this issue present itself again. I checked the FLACs today and verified that they're clean. Given that the noise seems to be analog in nature, I suspect something is/was going on in my receiver rather than the CuBox. After having played with this for several more hours on my main system, I'm ready to call it a winner.

Or not. I haven't had a lot of time to listen lately, but on Monday I heard static while using the box connected to a completely different system. I don't know if it's a hardware or software issue, but at this point I have to withdraw my endorsement.

Back