PC for Multichannel Music Playback - What's your Setup?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a screenshot of foobar2000 with the DarkOne 4.0 skin/theme -playing a SACD ISO:
Capture.jpg

Attachments

• Capture (450 x 448).jpg
    Capture (450 x 448).jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 588
So LizardKing, How do you play iso files with foobar? Will it play just sacd iso's or can you play the dvd-a iso's using it? I looked at the official components list and see nothing that would let me do it and I know my setup won't let me play iso's of any sort.

K

So LizardKing, How do you play iso files with foobar? Will it play just sacd iso's or can you play the dvd-a iso's using it? I looked at the official components list and see nothing that would let me do it and I know my setup won't let me play iso's of any sort.

K

JRiver certainly lets you play ISOs as well as separate tracks. You might give that a try. They have a 30 day free trial.

K

It plays both SACD and DVD-Audio ISOs. Note: Audio only...

You need to install the DVD-Audio Decoder http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdadecoder/ & the Super Audio CD Decoder http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/

Great thread!

My HTPC setup is pretty simple. I created it for the very purpose of listening to surround music; I tried various network-capable receivers before realizing that a PC was much, much more elegant and much, much more flexible. I haven't ever listened to surround music from an optical disc. :)

Hardware: Windows 7 PC connected to Marantz NR1402 receiver via HDMI
-The PC is our media/gaming PC, connected to the TV, so I don't have the 'ghost' monitor issue that Bright Side mentioned. I'll often turn the TV off if just listening to music. I have Splashtop installed in case I want to control the PC from my Android tablet (I used to do this more often when the HTPC was in another room).

Software: Foobar2000 for playing everything (as FLAC) and ripping DVD-A discs/SACD ISOs.
-Foobar is great. The only thing it doesn't do is fold my laundry.

Other Software: An annoying combination of limited tools to rip Blu-Rays (e.g., Audiomuxer, eac3to)
-I really like DVD Audio Extractor, but have only used the trial version, and feel silly forking over $40 for something I use maybe a few times a year.

I think this setup works great, and is just about the simplest way to enjoy surround music. Thanks to the QQ community for helping me get started in the world of surround!

-Grendel

I like to see what's going on in each separate channel as well as hear it, but yours looks better :)

You can see whats going on with the waveform seekbar (under the cover art)...
wav.JPG

& with the spectogram under the display info...
spec.JPG

It shows all channels...

Click on the Peak/Spec button on the left of the display to switch.... :)
'
P.S. Lookin good!!! And how did you get the albums to display above the tracklisting??

If you don't like the waveform seekbar you can configure it to not display ANY channels.

Not sure if there is a way to turn it off permanently..

If you don't like the waveform seekbar you can configure it to not display ANY channels.

Not sure if there is a way to turn it off permanently..

I do like the seekbar but with all channels displayed it looks a bit chaotic but I can always switch back to the spectrumanaliser.
I really like this skin, it can be adapted to your likings with just a few clicks, also nice to have the random button, saves a couple of clicks :) so THANKS for mentioning this one, I'm happy now :51banana:

Last edited:
Snood snoopid (stupid) question of the day :banana:

What plug in for foobar does Snood need to rip DVD-A to flac..........

even snoopider question.......what are you guys using for your PC to recognise the DVD-A discs? Snood just has plain ole CD DVD RW stuff. Know me is missing something here :xp:

Snood put dvd-a in cd/dvd-rom drive and foobar doesn't see it

Know if googled it enough might find something, but wanna make sure download the right software and not some crapware. Rather get good advice from people Snood trusts even if they mock me for being so Snoopid :cool:

Sorry for being such a noob at this stuff.......know a lil bout PCs, but not much about this surround transfer sorcery

might be koo to one day have all my stuff backup on PC and be able to use my lappy or PC to play my 5.1 - Bright Side got me thinking about it. Damn Yoooooooooooou Bright Side!!!!

Let the laughter begin :rolleyes:

Snood - you're not Stoopid....

What do you want to do exactly? I'll make it easy for you (Multiple choice):

1. Create (and then play) MCH FLACs from a physical DVD-A disc?
2. Create a DVD-A ISO from a disc? or
3. Play a (0reviously) decrypted DVD-A ISO

Foobar should be able to see & play a disc and play it... you just need to go to file -> open -> & then select the AUDIO_TS.IFO file under the AUDIO_TS folder.

Note foobar plays audio only...

Back