PC for Multichannel Music Playback - What's your Setup?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snood snoopid (stupid) question of the day :banana:

What plug in for foobar does Snood need to rip DVD-A to flac..........

even snoopider question.......what are you guys using for your PC to recognise the DVD-A discs? Snood just has plain ole CD DVD RW stuff. Know me is missing something here :xp:

Snood put dvd-a in cd/dvd-rom drive and foobar doesn't see it

Know if googled it enough might find something, but wanna make sure download the right software and not some crapware. Rather get good advice from people Snood trusts even if they mock me for being so Snoopid :cool:

Sorry for being such a noob at this stuff.......know a lil bout PCs, but not much about this surround transfer sorcery

might be koo to one day have all my stuff backup on PC and be able to use my lappy or PC to play my 5.1 - Bright Side got me thinking about it. Damn Yoooooooooooou Bright Side!!!!

Let the laughter begin :rolleyes:

You need this one http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdadecoder/ and if you want to be able to see the stereo and the mch part on the disc, after you installed the decoder, go to file/preferences/tools/DVD-Audio and set preferable area to NONE. That should do it. How to install the component in Foobar go here http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:How_to_install_a_component

BTW when you want flac files from the disc use the convert option (select the files you want to convert, right mouse click convert ... ,change destination to another folder as source file folder or else you get an error notification, make sure you have set output format to FLAC). For futher information....just ask :)

Last edited:
If you don't like the waveform seekbar you can configure it to not display ANY channels.

Not sure if there is a way to turn it off permanently..

I misinterpreted this one, I like the waveform seekbar, I don't like the way the peakmeter displays multichannel:

Deviantart3.jpg

Snood - you're not Stoopid....

What do you want to do exactly? I'll make it easy for you (Multiple choice):

1. Create (and then play) MCH FLACs from a physical DVD-A disc?
2. Create a DVD-A ISO from a disc? or
3. Play a (0reviously) decrypted DVD-A ISO

Foobar should be able to see & play a disc and play it... you just need to go to file -> open -> & then select the AUDIO_TS.IFO file under the AUDIO_TS folder.

Note foobar plays audio only...

Thank you Lizard.....for right now just trying to rip DVD-A to 5.1 flac then eventually will get into the sacds. Snood not have the set up on my pc for 5.1 playback only have 2.1 on pc.........but could rip to external and use lappy then play from there. ..only thing is my older oppo980 does not read flac from what I have tried on USB thumb drive. So for now looking for a back up......then when Snood upgrades OPPO universal then me be set.

Yeah the ability to play would be koo too.....but not a priority since my set up is lacking. Will probably play from my laptop eventually......snood all excited but lil like hmmmmm what will this button do lol :banana:

You need this one http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdadecoder/ and if you want to be able to see the stereo and the mch part on the disc, after you installed the decoder, go to file/preferences/tools/DVD-Audio and set preferable area to NONE. That should do it. How to install the component in Foobar go here http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:How_to_install_a_component

BTW when you want flac files from the disc use the convert option (select the files you want to convert, right mouse click convert ... ,change destination to another folder as source file folder or else you get an error notification, make sure you have set output format to FLAC). For futher information....just ask :)

Thank you Jan.......with you and everyone's help Snood just might be able to do this up right. Am gonna try this stuff this weekend and take my time with it.......funny thing is Snood just bought a 2 tb external to back up my FLACs and 320 mp3s.....thinking now if this works should have gone for the 4 tb lmao.

Is it my understanding the flac files from the DVD-A S that are ripped will be flac 5.1?

Thank you both again and Snood will keep you posted with my fumbling and bumbling through this :banana:

Thank you Lizard.....for right now just trying to rip DVD-A to 5.1 flac then eventually will get into the sacds. Snood not have the set up on my pc for 5.1 playback only have 2.1 on pc.........but could rip to external and use lappy then play from there. ..only thing is my older oppo980 does not read flac from what I have tried on USB thumb drive. So for now looking for a back up......then when Snood upgrades OPPO universal then me be set.

Yeah the ability to play would be koo too.....but not a priority since my set up is lacking. Will probably play from my laptop eventually......snood all excited but lil like hmmmmm what will this button do lol :banana:

Thank you Jan.......with you and everyone's help Snood just might be able to do this up right. Am gonna try this stuff this weekend and take my time with it.......funny thing is Snood just bought a 2 tb external to back up my FLACs and 320 mp3s.....thinking now if this works should have gone for the 4 tb lmao.

Is it my understanding the flac files from the DVD-A S that are ripped will be flac 5.1?

Thank you both again and Snood will keep you posted with my fumbling and bumbling through this :banana:

This depends what files you select, if you select the 5.1 part of the dvda you get 5.1 flacs and .....stereo, good luck!!

This is a great thread :)

I haven't decided on which NUC to get yet to stick by the audio rack downstairs - its got to be small enough to fit there so I can capture my old vinyl & tapes. So until I get round to getting one, has anybody got any suggestions for going from WAV (& FLAC) to generating an .img or .iso for burning to DVD or Blu-ray?

Did you allready try the lyrics feature? Just tried it with Steven Wilson's The Raven that Refused to Sing album and when he sings the words light up at the exact moment, word perfect, impressive.

Yup - pretty cool.... doesn't work for some of my more obscure stuff tho..:eek:

FYI - You can also go into (I think) Preferences -> Display -> Columns UI and increase the font size also... to make the lyrics more readable on your TV screen - unless you've got a 100 inch projector hooked up - and aren't blind like me.....

I've also got it running fullscreen (no border) via the method mentioned here:
http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=92908&view=findpost&p=783450

OK well SNood got Foobar to recognise DVD-A but when me open DVD it gives me it gives me like 5 choices which seem to be the channels then it gives me - Audio_ TS - when do that it loads up what seems to be all the 5.1 tracks and the stereo downmix, but no tags except the album name..........can't tag it - freedb does not recognise.

Shows question mark as artist then [LOOKOFLOVE #01] Lf-Rf-Ls-Rs 24/96000 + C-LFE 24/96000
[LOOKOFLOVE #02] Lf-Rf-Ls-Rs 24/96000 + C-LFE 24/96000
[LOOKOFLOVE #03] Lf-Rf-Ls-Rs 24/96000 + C-LFE 24/96000
[LOOKOFLOVE #04] Lf-Rf-Ls-Rs 24/96000 + C-LFE 24/96000
[LOOKOFLOVE #05] Lf-Rf-Ls-Rs 24/96000 + C-LFE 24/96000
[LOOKOFLOVE #06] Lf-Rf-Ls-Rs 24/96000 + C-LFE 24/96000
[LOOKOFLOVE #07] Lf-Rf-Ls-Rs 24/96000 + C-LFE 24/96000
[LOOKOFLOVE #08] Lf-Rf-Ls-Rs 24/96000 + C-LFE 24/96000
[LOOKOFLOVE #09] Lf-Rf-Ls-Rs 24/96000 + C-LFE 24/96000
[LOOKOFLOVE #10] Lf-Rf-Ls-Rs 24/96000 + C-LFE 24/96000
[LOOKOFLOVE #11] L-R 16/44100
[LOOKOFLOVE #12] L-R 24/96000
[LOOKOFLOVE #13] L-R 24/96000
[LOOKOFLOVE #14] L-R 24/96000
[LOOKOFLOVE #15] L-R 24/96000
[LOOKOFLOVE #16] L-R 24/96000
[LOOKOFLOVE #17] L-R 24/96000
[LOOKOFLOVE #18] L-R 24/96000
[LOOKOFLOVE #19] L-R 24/96000
[LOOKOFLOVE #20] L-R 24/96000
[LOOKOFLOVE #21] L-R 24/96000
[LOOKOFLOVE #22] L-R 16/44100
[LOOKOFLOVE #23] L-R 16/44100
[LOOKOFLOVE #24] L-R 16/44100
[LOOKOFLOVE #25] L-R 16/44100
[LOOKOFLOVE #26] L-R 16/44100
[LOOKOFLOVE #27] L-R 16/44100
[LOOKOFLOVE #28] L-R 16/44100

Does Snood have to manually tag each track??

Have tried it on Beatles Love and Diana Krall Look of Love

Wanna make sure doing right - rather than tagging each song one by one.

Getting there me thinks??? :rolleyes:

It seems to being converting Diana Krall surround sound tracks without me Metaing it, but man my disc player making like crazy goofy sound but seems to be transferring it to flac......it saying like 28 minutes to go is that normal??

If you only want to see Mutichannel (which I think the Snood does) - then configure it as follows (under Library> Configure> Preferences > DVD-Audio

Capture.JPG

Once you rip to FLAC then it's easier to Tag the files... I use MP3TAG

If you only want to see Mutichannel (which I think the Snood does) - then configure it as follows (under Library> Configure> Preferences > DVD-Audio

View attachment 16859

Once you rip to FLAC then it's easier to Tag the files... I use MP3TAG

Koo koo koo , but does it usually take this long? Only ripping the 5.1 tracks 27 minutes??

Seems a bit slow... I slapped Krall - Love Scenes in and it said 14 mins.... But wait ... thats 44.1/24 not 96/24

Seems a bit slow... I slapped Krall - Love Scenes in and it said 14 mins.... But wait ... thats 44.1/24 not 96/24

Well it seemed to burn right..............this MP3
Tag - still gotta go one by one on the tracks correct??

Hmmm got the pics of the tracks on it - but having trouble getting MP3 to find the album info

well seems easy to find album info - but properties of the songs changeto the proper title but the song title remains on each track folder showing is like it was - Audio_ts 65780 etc

Well it seemed to burn right..............this MP3
Tag - still gotta go one by one on the tracks correct??

Hmmm got the pics of the tracks on it - but having trouble getting MP3 to find the album info

Nope...

Select em all - if frredb doesn't work then use Amazon.com...

Seems like it should switch the song titles over easily and it does if you open up properties on each track, but the Audio_TS (number) remains the Main file name under the file for each track............weird.

Either way Thanks for the help

Knew me should have waited til the weekend to get caught up in this - Snood need go bed.

Will try some more discs tomorrow :banana:

Hehe, Snood, you're welcome ;-) Nice to see the community at its very best here. I love how we help each other out!

Seeing this thread back up makes me curious. Under Ubuntu, I have this wonderful program called "Pavucontrol" that allows me to set the playback volume for every single channel independently. It's really useful for when I sit in a different position in my room - I don't need to go through the receiver's sound options, just move the sliders on the PC.

Under Windows, I couldn't find a program like that. I know some sound cards come bundled with software that can do it, but is anybody aware of a program that gives me one volume slider for each of the 5.1 channels?

Seems like it should switch the song titles over easily and it does if you open up properties on each track, but the Audio_TS (number) remains the Main file name under the file for each track............weird.

Either way Thanks for the help

Knew me should have waited til the weekend to get caught up in this - Snood need go bed.

Will try some more discs tomorrow :banana:

LizardKing thinks he knows what Snood's problem is. LizardKing thinks Snood needs to configure the output filenames under Destination after going into Convert. See the following screenshot:
Capture.JPG

Back