PC for Multichannel Music Playback - What's your Setup?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great programm, too bad that you have to pay for it.

It's helped tweak many a music download here. I was more than happy to pay $29.95 for it. It's worth more.
Use it to check every download these days before it goes to JRiver and the HAP-Z1ES for playback !

MP3TAG is freeware & works fine for tagging FLAC....

The name is a bit dodgy tho - I have to agree... Don't normally like to plug anything associated with "empty threes"...

mp3tag is awesome, and tags just about everything including flac and DSD files in the .dsf container. When I rip my DVD-As in foobar, I don't worry about tagging them at all, I just let it spit out the files with the filenames like in Snood's post - as long as the tracks are numbered, you're fine. Then I open the folder in mp3tag and import the album tag data, usually from Amazon because it includes cover art as well. After that mp3tag has an option that allows you to rename files according to tag data in any naming format you want, and I do that to get files that are named with the standard convention I use, which is $num(%track%,2) - %title% which gives you files that are named '01 - First Track Name.flac' and so on.

20-30 minutes for ripping a 96/24 5.1 album sound about right too, it is a relatively slow process.

Weeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllll Snood took 3 steps back :howl

Now when me try to convert DVD-a to flac - Snood gets this

13 out of 13 tracks converted with major problems.

Source: "D:\AUDIO_TS\AUDIO_TS.IFO" / index: 65793
Decoder produced garbage at 0:00.004
Source: "D:\AUDIO_TS\AUDIO_TS.IFO" / index: 65794
Decoder produced garbage at 0:00.000
Source: "D:\AUDIO_TS\AUDIO_TS.IFO" / index: 65795
Source: "D:\AUDIO_TS\AUDIO_TS.IFO" / index: 65796
Source: "D:\AUDIO_TS\AUDIO_TS.IFO" / index: 65797
Decoder produced garbage at 0:00.002
Source: "D:\AUDIO_TS\AUDIO_TS.IFO" / index: 65798
Source: "D:\AUDIO_TS\AUDIO_TS.IFO" / index: 65799
Source: "D:\AUDIO_TS\AUDIO_TS.IFO" / index: 65800
Source: "D:\AUDIO_TS\AUDIO_TS.IFO" / index: 65801
Source: "D:\AUDIO_TS\AUDIO_TS.IFO" / index: 65802
Source: "D:\AUDIO_TS\AUDIO_TS.IFO" / index: 65803
Source: "D:\AUDIO_TS\AUDIO_TS.IFO" / index: 65804
Source: "D:\AUDIO_TS\AUDIO_TS.IFO" / index: 65805

Have reinstalled the plugin, have reinstalled foobar and the plug in..............nothing grrrrrrrrrrr

Foobar recognises disc and audio plays on foobar in 5.1 - but converting to flac nope now :howl

Update - Snood can do one track at time, but more than one it gives me the garbage thing - Great thing that its takes waaaaaaaaaaay less time - I can do multiple single track conversions at once but it brings the total time back over 30 minutes - done one at a time the conversion per track is about 30 to 40 seconds saving craploads of time

One by One ripping works fast and great and figured ot the tagging with Jan's suggestion - took some screwing with and it is slower than mp3tag but it works in about 2 steps.

Snood is happy enough............dunno why can't highlight multiple tracks but this way is sooooooooooooooo much faster..........

Oh Liz, it was eeeevery disc - now if rip one by one so much quicker - you should try it. :banana:

SO thank you everybody and you can bet Snood will screw something up and be asking ya more sooooooooooooooooooooon - uh very soon :rolleyes:

QUESTION - do any of y'all save/backup the 24 bit 96 stereo down mixes from the dvd-a's also???

QUESTION - do any of y'all save/backup the 24 bit 96 stereo down mixes from the dvd-a's also???
i recently started ripping my dvd-a's with DVD Audio Extractor, and yes, I do save the stereo tracks as well. It takes a bit more time obviously, but I have a 4TB media server, so there is plenty of space to be filled :)

Also, When I am in a stereo mode, I like to play the stereo parts of a dvda. Which from now on will be the stereo flac.

I have the media server connected to the USB dac on myOppo, and it sounds better than spinning the actual disc. It may be wishful thinking though :) Apart from this, the convenience is the best, using iPeng to play the albums. I also have started using Qobuz, free 30 trail, to see how that works. Sounds great through the USB dac.

i recently started ripping my dvd-a's with DVD Audio Extractor, and yes, I do save the stereo tracks as well. It takes a bit more time obviously, but I have a 4TB media server, so there is plenty of space to be filled :)

Also, When I am in a stereo mode, I like to play the stereo parts of a dvda. Which from now on will be the stereo flac.

I have the media server connected to the USB dac on myOppo, and it sounds better than spinning the actual disc. It may be wishful thinking though :) Apart from this, the convenience is the best, using iPeng to play the albums. I also have started using Qobuz, free 30 trail, to see how that works. Sounds great through the USB dac.

Same here, except when I play a SACD, then the actual disc sounds better (probably the dsd that makes the difference).

Same here, except when I play a SACD, then the actual disc sounds better (probably the dsd that makes the difference).

And - you're possibly running probably with +0db in your SACD configuration in foobar2000 - SACDs will sound quieter with this config - which makes it hard to compare.

I only backup the mch files because I never listen to the stereo anyway :). Glad you're happy now and you can always try the dvd audio extractor method, pm me if you need anything for that :).

Thank You Jan also :banana:

Snood back with another Snoopid question :banana:

My Dvd-As are going in nicely - Thank You

But my Dualdiscs are hit and miss - say about 40 to 50 percent of them actually contain the TS_AUDIO pack that shows in foobar - can go to the cd-rom drive and find the Audio_TS directory, but it is empty

The discs are fine - Bon Jovi - SLippery when Wet, Blondie - Curse of Blondie and a few others but then a few others were as described above.

Eventually Snood will be asking about SACDS and ripping tunes from DVD-V - but for now very happy slowly backing up my Dvd-as :dance:

Thank You in advance for any help :)

If there is an empty AUDIO_TS folder then that means that its a plain old DVD-V and not a DVD-A... :yikes

Do you have a disc as an example?

Yeah, Miles Davis - KInd of Blue - DualDisc T

the ones usually do it are the ones that go directly to video usually

Back