PC for Multichannel Music Playback - What's your Setup?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As said above, if the AUDIO_TS folder is empty, it's just a plain old DVD-V.

AudioMuxer is great if you want to convert DVD-V titles to FLAC - from the main menu pick Tools -> Extract Audio from DVD-Video. Obviously the resulting files are to be bigger than the original files if you're going from a lossy codec like DD or DTS to FLAC, but I find it easier to just have everything in the same format. It would be nice to be able to keep DTS and DD in it's smaller original format, but for me the convenience of FLAC outweighs the increase in file size, not only because of how many devices will play them, but also for how robust the tagging and metadata options are.

is anyone uses UPnP in foobar to send audio stream wirelessly from PC to audio rig and has bit of experience in tweaking this feature?

Is there a remote control app for Foobar? With my Intel NUC and Kodi (renamed from XBMC - free s/w) there are a number of IOS (IPad/IPhone) and Android apps to select/play media on devices with or without a TV or Projector in your media room. All while sitting on my sofa and listening inside my 5.1 sound field!

Here's an example of what my iPad gives to create 'on the fly' playlists from my multi-channel music library stored on my NAS/Server (but can also do the same from a PC etc):

image.jpg

This app cost about $3 from memory. I can navigate through the albums and artists and add individual songs to the playlist at beginning, next or end. Or add all an album's tracks to the playlist. Pretty cool.

Here is the app's website: www.xbmcmusicremote.com

I can also create my own permanent playlist from any audio files on my NAS and playlists from video music (I have over 100 surround concerts saved as individual songs/files. So I can create a playlist of my favourite live performance tracks.

Last edited:
Yup - for Foobar I use Touchremote DACP Server for foobar2000 with the Tunesremote+ app on my phone...

... has anybody got any suggestions for going from WAV (& FLAC) to generating an .img or .iso for burning to DVD or Blu-ray?

ImgBurn (which is free) will create (build) files to .img and .iso

Also, for anyone using .iso's you can virtual mount the .iso (with various free software) and your software player will recognize it as a disc in a drive instead of as a file.

As said above, if the AUDIO_TS folder is empty, it's just a plain old DVD-V.

AudioMuxer is great if you want to convert DVD-V titles to FLAC - from the main menu pick Tools -> Extract Audio from DVD-Video. Obviously the resulting files are to be bigger than the original files if you're going from a lossy codec like DD or DTS to FLAC, but I find it easier to just have everything in the same format. It would be nice to be able to keep DTS and DD in it's smaller original format, but for me the convenience of FLAC outweighs the increase in file size, not only because of how many devices will play them, but also for how robust the tagging and metadata options are.

You can have both (small size and tagging).

1) Rip the DTS or DD files as raw data (in DVD Audio Extractor this option is 'Direct Demux').
2) Then use Audiomuxer's 'Convert AC3/DTS to SPDIFWav/FLAC' tool ...this put a ".WAV" container around the .dts or .ac3 file.
3) Then you can 'compress' it with FLAC (either directly within Audiomuxer, or later with any other FLAC encoder). This will not reduce the file size -- the data is already lossy.
4) Tag the FLAC file. THe filesize actually gets a tiny bit bigger as a result, but still very close to the raw bitstream size.

All of my multichannel lossy audio files are tagged this is way.

My setup is:

1) all audio ripped to hard drive (typically DVD Audio Extractor, sometimes Audiomuxer, sometimes need MakeMKV *then* DVDAE, will start using Foobar2k itself soon), and tagged (I use Tag&Rename, but there are plenty of other tools)
2) play with Foobar 2K (with WASAPI plugin, for bit-perfect output) on a Sony Vaio laptop or Asus tablet, via HDMI cable to Denon AVR.
3) All decoding is done in the Denon. This also means I can apply Audyssey MultiXT 32 to all audio. It all works great.
4) I am also now experimenting with wireless output from my WiDi-enabled Vaio running foobar2k, to the Denon, via a tiny Netgear Push2TV receiver device that connects to the AVR via HDMI. So far I've got it to work for lossless...but not lossy!... sources
5) speakers are 5 Behringer Truth P2030a monitors on adjustable stands, plus one Dayton 15" sub. Eventually this will become two smaller subs. Eventually there will be physical room treatments as well. The room itself is quite large, a loft space.

Sorry to go off topic, but I'm looking for an easy method to convert DVD-Video discs to DVD-Audio discs to play in my Acura. I've used the MKV tool as well as Audiomuxer. I get one single Flac file and can use DVD-Audio Solo to burn the DVD-Audio. This works fine except it is one long track. Is there a step I'm missing to convert with separate flac files for each track or do I need to use another program for this task? Thanks for any help in advance.

I use Audiomuxer to "Extract Audio from DVD-Video" - under "Tools". Assuming you've decrypted the DVD first.

Make sure you tick "Load In AudioMuxer And Split in Chapters" - then you should have individual files.

You can have both (small size and tagging).

1) Rip the DTS or DD files as raw data (in DVD Audio Extractor this option is 'Direct Demux').
2) Then use Audiomuxer's 'Convert AC3/DTS to SPDIFWav/FLAC' tool ...this put a ".WAV" container around the .dts or .ac3 file.
3) Then you can 'compress' it with FLAC (either directly within Audiomuxer, or later with any other FLAC encoder). This will not reduce the file size -- the data is already lossy.
4) Tag the FLAC file. THe filesize actually gets a tiny bit bigger as a result, but still very close to the raw bitstream size.

All of my multichannel lossy audio files are tagged this is way.

My setup is:

1) all audio ripped to hard drive (typically DVD Audio Extractor, sometimes Audiomuxer, sometimes need MakeMKV *then* DVDAE, will start using Foobar2k itself soon), and tagged (I use Tag&Rename, but there are plenty of other tools)
2) play with Foobar 2K (with WASAPI plugin, for bit-perfect output) on a Sony Vaio laptop or Asus tablet, via HDMI cable to Denon AVR.
3) All decoding is done in the Denon. This also means I can apply Audyssey MultiXT 32 to all audio. It all works great.
4) I am also now experimenting with wireless output from my WiDi-enabled Vaio running foobar2k, to the Denon, via a tiny Netgear Push2TV receiver device that connects to the AVR via HDMI. So far I've got it to work for lossless...but not lossy!... sources
5) speakers are 5 Behringer Truth P2030a monitors on adjustable stands, plus one Dayton 15" sub. Eventually this will become two smaller subs. Eventually there will be physical room treatments as well. The room itself is quite large, a loft space.

Thank You Ssully :banana: Gonna get all My Dvd-as first then try SACD then DVD-Vs - so yeah SNood will prob be asking more questions soooooooooooooon enough :xp:

Almost works. Decrypted the DVD-Video. Launched Audiomuxer. Selected extract audio from DVD-Video. Next step select VTS*.IFO file. Window shows 14 VTS files. I can only select one at a time. Only VTS 2 and VTS 6 show the DTS files. Tried processing each one. VTS 2 processes and outputs first 6 Flac files then I get an error. VTS 6 processes and outputs first 8 flac files then stops. No error. I should end up with 12 flac files. Argh.

Whats the disc? and has it been decrypted (if its encrypted)....

It worked here... on VTS 2... I used AnyDVD to decrypt it. Maybe try a different decrypter?

Also maybe re-install Audiomuxer - I had issues a while back & re-installed. Make sure you "Run as Administrator" when you re-install.

Well re-installed everything. Decrypted using DVDDecrypter and AnyDVD. Still a no go. Tried the same process on From Her To Eternity and it worked with both decrypters. So not sure what is wrong with that particular disc. I happy to have the method down now. Appreciate your help!

Weeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllll Snood took 3 steps back :howl

Now when me try to convert DVD-a to flac - Snood gets this

13 out of 13 tracks converted with major problems.

Source: "D:\AUDIO_TS\AUDIO_TS.IFO" / index: 65793
Decoder produced garbage at 0:00.004

I used to get this until I figured out that I have to disable AnyDVD before using Foobar2000 to convert DVD-A to FLAC.

QUESTION - do any of y'all save/backup the 24 bit 96 stereo down mixes from the dvd-a's also???

I save the stereo versions if they're truly dedicated and not just downmixes. If there's a DTS track I'll usually save that as well. In my case, it's because the high-rez stereo and DTS can be played via the Squeezebox.

Back