Opeth - Pale Communion 5.1 (Blu-ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use a sub though. When setting speakers to large, doesn't it send the LFE signal to all speakers?

Luckily I have a phase switch on my sub, but I'll probably just play my own re-authored/corrected version...:mad:@:

I don't use a sub though. When setting speakers to large, doesn't it send the LFE signal to all speakers?

Yes, it might just mix the LFE signal into the FL/FR, which in this case would be a bad thing (it would cause bass cancellation). Without a sub, I am not sure how to handle it. A re-authored version is best, of course. Or, you may try telling your receiver/preamp that you have a sub (even though you don't) which would at least avoid the cancellation. Maybe there is enough bass in the authored FL/FR channels to still sound good. Just play around with it to find what works best in your system.

This whole thing is turning into a nightmare. Annoying thing is that I got the email to confirm my 'fixed' disc has been sent today, so now I'll have 2 coasters.

I was going to order this, but after this cluster fudge of a "fixed" version with the LFE still out of phase, I'm going to give it a miss until/if they re-reissue a re-fixed fixed version. :rolleyes:

Instead I just ordered the "Gentle Giant: The Power and the Glory" BD-A. By the way, long time lurker, but this is my first post on this site. :D

Welcome to the forum! P&G is a wonderful mix.

Thank you. :)

I listened to all of the songs from Pale Communion on youtube recently and would love to hear Steven Wilson's surround mix as it was intended to be heard, but I'll wait until this all gets completely sorted out before I pick it up.

After reading the reviews for P&G on here, I'm really excited to hear it and check out the apparently awesome animation. I loves me some old school prog.

I was going to order this, but after this cluster fudge of a "fixed" version with the LFE still out of phase, I'm going to give it a miss until/if they re-reissue a re-fixed fixed version. :rolleyes:

Instead I just ordered the "Gentle Giant: The Power and the Glory" BD-A. By the way, long time lurker, but this is my first post on this site. :D

welcome neighbor! i'm just south of Knox..in Maryville

Here's what I received in reply from Omerch this morning, after almost two months of waiting:

"Thanks for your email.

After consultation with O-Merch we can confirm that only stock on the US Store had affected BluRay discs, our store did not.

Kind Regards,
Customer Services"

Won't be ordering from them again.

Finally got my replacement Blu-Ray disc from Roadrunner and I can confirm that there is indeed bass on this new disc!
However, it's not overwhelming by any means. Occasionally the differences are somewhat minute, but after comparing a small sample of the old disc followed by the new one, I can confirm that the issue has been rectified. :)

Finally got my replacement Blu-Ray disc from Roadrunner and I can confirm that there is indeed bass on this new disc!
However, it's not overwhelming by any means. Occasionally the differences are somewhat minute, but after comparing a small sample of the old disc followed by the new one, I can confirm that the issue has been rectified. :)

I agree. The bass is mostly bass drum. However the overall surround quality seems to be markedly improved as well. This is a fantastic mix now and kudos to Roadrunner or Warners or whoever for addressing this so quickly.

Yeah, but is the LFE confirmed to still be inverted?

I honestly don't think it is. Simple test was to keep one hand on the subwoofer and use the other to toggle the phase switch between 0 or 180 positions.

At the 0 setting, the subwoofer is moving smoothly in sync with the other channels. Switching to 180 degrees setting, it becomes choppy and out of time. That settled it for me.

This is a fantastic album with a wonderfully detailed mix and dynamic range.

From QQ deep space

Are there identifying marks between the uncorrected disc and the corrected one? Have you tried the hand on the sub & flip the phase switch on the old disc?

I honestly don't think it is. Simple test was to keep one hand on the subwoofer and use the other to toggle the phase switch between 0 or 180 positions.

At the 0 setting, the subwoofer is moving smoothly in sync with the other channels. Switching to 180 degrees setting, it becomes choppy and out of time. That settled it for me.

This is a fantastic album with a wonderfully detailed mix and dynamic range.

From QQ deep space

Had to go and find the old disc in a paper sleeve with the Roadrunner apology insert. As previously reported the discs look the same visibly - just slightly different shades of red. Someone else reported different file dates for the content.

As for 0 versus 180, I had to do it 3-4 times to be sure as the gains or improvement was less pronounced. I believe the old disc is the same as the new one with this tactile test. That is to say that 0 seems right and 180 not so much. I think the anomaly is not strictly phase.

This tends to knock down the grassy knoll theory of the fix not being fixed because the LFE still "looked" the same on scopes.

Let's put this to bed and enjoy the new disc!

From QQ deep space

Back