Opeth - Pale Communion 5.1 (Blu-ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it safe to order this now?

Can someone advise where I can purchase this from for a US address and be sure to get the corrected disc? Thanks

The corrected disc has different matrix numbers on the shiny side

Would you care to list the different numbers on each disc? I just found this at my local Best Buy in the CD section and got it price matched for $8.88 so I couldn't pass it up. If you could help me and all others who are now purchasing it to see if we have the correct disc, I would really appreciate it. :)

Would you care to list the different numbers on each disc? I just found this at my local Best Buy in the CD section and got it price matched for $8.88 so I couldn't pass it up. If you could help me and all others who are now purchasing it to see if we have the correct disc, I would really appreciate it. :)

I bought the corrected version from Burningshed after all the hassle. Mine reads S1 1686175735BD/1 2 V02 TLW

Thanks César. The numbers on the inner ring on the playing surface side of mine appears to be:

3 175735 1 A VD01

I see you are in Spain. I wonder if there are different pressing numbers from EU compared to US, or do I just have the bad one. Hmmm.

Thanks César. The numbers on the inner ring on the playing surface side of mine appears to be:

3 175735 1 A VD01

I see you are in Spain. I wonder if there are different pressing numbers from EU compared to US, or do I just have the bad one. Hmmm.[/QUOTE

It's not a big deal to get a replacement now and I doubt you'll have to wait too long...

Okay, I went to this link: http://redemptions.warnermusic.com/opeth-blu-ray

Where it says:

"PLEASE FOLLOW THE STEPS BELOW TO RECEIVE YOUR REPLACEMENT PALE COMMUNION BLU-RAY:
1. ENTER YOUR CODE IN THE BOX PROVIDED BELOW AND CLICK COMPLETE REDEMPTION.
2. ON THE FOLLOWING PAGE, COMPLETE ALL OF THE REQUIRED FIELDS AND CLICK PLACE ORDER.
3. YOU WILL RECEIVE A CONFIRMATION EMAIL. blu-ray discs will begin shipping on or before september 30th"

I entered all of the information and received a confirmation email, but all they asked me for was my email, zipcode, and country. Will I receive an additional email later where I give them my shipping address, or do I need to contact them about it?

Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to make sure I did this correctly. Thanks again everyone. :)

The original disc matrix: 3 175735.1.A VD01
The corrected disc matrix: 3 175735V2.1.A VD01

So the only difference is the addition of the "V2" added to the disc name. (y)

I obviously have the old version, but after I switched the connections on my LF speaker, lowered my crossover cut-off frequency for the front and center speakers to lessen the effect to the overall bass management phase problems, and switched my phase for the subs, it sounded really great already.

I enjoyed this album much more than I expected, considering I'm not already a hard-core Opeth fan. I would guess that a corrected disc with the LF speaker in phase will mainly make it easier to listen to the disc without reversing the speaker leads, and may correct some of the bass phase problems overall, but if the .1 LFE channel is still out of phase, that could create some overall weakening of some of the mid-bass frequencies that overlap from the bass-managed stuff fed to the subs from the five main channels that also correspond to the frequencies that are also directly fed to the LFE channel. If only the LFE channel is still out of phase, most of the deep bass fed directly to the LFE channel that doesn't have a direct counterpart in the bass-managed redirected bass from the other speakers will sound fine, and the mid-bass that is redirected from the other speakers to the sub will also sound fine if there's not direct LFE information for those frequencies.

It's only the sounds that are somewhat redundant between the main 5 speakers, redirected to the subs through bass-management in the receiver, and also out of phase in the seperate LFE channel that will cancel out, meaning that probably just a few frequencies in the lower mid-bass will be attenuated from cancellation, which probably means the bottom end of the kick drum will sound more prominent, but the overall warmth of the mix might suffer.

Theoretically, just having all 5 main channels in phase together, even without the sub, should negate even more mid-bass phase problems, but there will be a decrease in the mid-bass frequencies that do overlap none the less.

P.S. - Nicely toasted and running off at the mouth it would seem. :D

I honestly don't think it is. Simple test was to keep one hand on the subwoofer and use the other to toggle the phase switch between 0 or 180 positions.

At the 0 setting, the subwoofer is moving smoothly in sync with the other channels. Switching to 180 degrees setting, it becomes choppy and out of time. That settled it for me.

This is a fantastic album with a wonderfully detailed mix and dynamic range.

From QQ deep space

Are your main speakers set to large or small? If they're set to large they won't be redirecting any bass to the sub, so if the sub is out of phase switching phase on it won't make it sound better or worse.

I don't have the corrected disc, but if the waveforms show that they're oscillating in opposite directions like the image that someone posted above shows, the LFE channel is still out of phase. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a scientific fact.

I agree, it's a fantastic mix, and as such I believe it deserves to be heard as intended and that means not with a LFE channel with inverted phase. I applaud Roadrunner for trying to rectify the situation, but why is absolutely no one QC'ing these discs before they go out the door? I assume they won't recall the recall so this is probably as good as it gets, and I'm disappointed that most people will only hear this mix sounding about 80% as good as it should. How many people out there will have the technical know-how to rip the corrected disc, invert the phase on the LFE and re-author the results to some kind of playable format? If it's any higher than the single digits in percentage, I'll be shocked.

I think this version has the LFE phase shifted by 180 degrees. Can anyone confirm / infirm it? I'm looking at the waveforms in Reaper and they're inverted for LFE as opposed to L/R, SL/SR.

http://imgur.com/eaPjz6p
http://imgur.com/eAWstgC
http://imgur.com/ppJr9JZ
http://imgur.com/DzfvvJu

Hmmm

And here is the corrected disc:
View attachment 16243

The LFE is definitely still inverted on the corrected disc...... :mad:

I seriously doubt that both of these two guys both accidentally made the exact same mistake, or both deliberately made the same mistake about this information.

Correct, my front speakers are CSW towers set to LARGE. Switching them to SMALL introduces a change but it's pretty subtle in the face of this music. This may be a more profound issue on some systems, it is not a deal-breaker here.

I learned a long time ago not to argue with electricity; I certainly didn't mean to dispute anyone's scientific findings. At the end of the day, we can lament it's wrongness and do without OR enjoy what has been presented. I simply choose the latter.

Kirk out.

Got a FLAC version of the surround mix with the corrected phase (actually corrected, not half corrected like the replacement disc). I just decided to let my ears judge, comparing both of them. And yeah, the replacement disc sounds definitely (much) better than the original release, so it can be satisfying in its own right. But the completely corrected homemade version, as expected, still sounds better. Basically slightly louder and more defined bass, and I mean bass guitar, not bass drum. It's wonderful to be able to easily follow the bass lines now, for instance, even under the larger-than-life vocal harmonies from "Eternal Rains Will Come".

This is how the corrected FLAC version looks, and it's the way it should look:

capture_23102014_163304.jpg

Are your main speakers set to large or small? If they're set to large they won't be redirecting any bass to the sub, so if the sub is out of phase switching phase on it won't make it sound better or worse.

I don't have the corrected disc, but if the waveforms show that they're oscillating in opposite directions like the image that someone posted above shows, the LFE channel is still out of phase. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a scientific fact.

I agree, it's a fantastic mix, and as such I believe it deserves to be heard as intended and that means not with a LFE channel with inverted phase. I applaud Roadrunner for trying to rectify the situation, but why is absolutely no one QC'ing these discs before they go out the door? I assume they won't recall the recall so this is probably as good as it gets, and I'm disappointed that most people will only hear this mix sounding about 80% as good as it should. How many people out there will have the technical know-how to rip the corrected disc, invert the phase on the LFE and re-author the results to some kind of playable format? If it's any higher than the single digits in percentage, I'll be shocked.

I wonder if they even know that the LFE channel is still out of phase on the "corrected" disc? I just bought this yesterday and have the original disc, and after switching my left front leads, adjusting my crossover point down, and changing the phase on the subs, it sounded pretty dang good, and I'm sure that the "corrected" disc probably sounds even better, but I would really like to have a truly perfect corrected disc, because I'm sure that would sound even better still.

I know how to make a proper corrected disc myself, but unfortunately I don't have the equipment required to do it.

I really doubt that they will make a third truly fixed disc, but it is possible, if enough people inform them very specifically of what is wrong with the "Version 2" disc. I couldn't imagine anyone being opposed to a truly perfect sounding fixed disc, except for maybe Roadrunner Records.

I will be letting them know about it, and I would appreciate anyone else who would do the same. :)

My matrix number is: 1686 175735BD/1.2 VO2 TLW :mad:@: which I got from Burning Shed.

I haven't done the sub switching test yet.

I have the tools to extract the audio, invert the channels and write a new disk using HD Audio Solo, but does anyone know a simple method of writing a disk with the original menu (maybe with PCM instead of TrueHD).

Thanks

I wonder if they even know that the LFE channel is still out of phase on the "corrected" disc? I just bought this yesterday and have the original disc, and after switching my left front leads, adjusting my crossover point down, and changing the phase on the subs, it sounded pretty dang good, and I'm sure that the "corrected" disc probably sounds even better, but I would really like to have a truly perfect corrected disc, because I'm sure that would sound even better still.

I know how to make a proper corrected disc myself, but unfortunately I don't have the equipment required to do it.

I really doubt that they will make a third truly fixed disc, but it is possible, if enough people inform them very specifically of what is wrong with the "Version 2" disc. I couldn't imagine anyone being opposed to a truly perfect sounding fixed disc, except for maybe Roadrunner Records.

I will be letting them know about it, and I would appreciate anyone else who would do the same. :)

Yep, I think you're right, if you don't ask you don't get ;-) Besides, logistically it should be fairly easy for Road Runner as they already have the addresses of everyone who'd want a replacement, worth giving them a nudge I say. If nothing else it may help prevent it happening again with any of their future releases...

Back