Onkyo and 7digital Plan High Resolution Audio Store for U.S. and Europe

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
It looks like the high resolution DSD and PCM music downloads that e-Onkyo Music is offering at their Japanese language web site will soon be coming to an English language web site for the U.S. and Europe markets.
While most of their downloads are Stereo, e-Onkyo does have some Multichannel music downloads. Very interesting!

For info, check the story at http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue73/onyko_dsd.htm

Could be interesting unless pricing is anything like what Acoustic Sounds charges.

Could be interesting unless pricing is anything like what Acoustic Sounds charges.

The pricing on e-Onkyo is pretty comparable to the other download sites - including Super HiRez.

And we now have sites like "The Tape Project" and Elusive Disc that are selling copies of Stereo Album Master Tapes for $300 to $600 each!
The very same master tapes used to create some of the music downloads on Super HiRez. Those listings make the high resolution music download sites seem reasonably priced.

As to the future, I wouldn't be surprised to see changes in pricing. Super HiRez just finished their first sale pricing (10% off).
Based on the results of that, more music download sales could arrive in the future.

I'd pay that for Pink Floyd or something similar but not that junk they are offering. I've got my rack-mounted 2-track Tascam sitting right here.

I'd pay that for Pink Floyd or something similar but not that junk they are offering. I've got my rack-mounted 2-track Tascam sitting right here.

I did get to hear some of the albums available on Stereo Open Reel Tape at The Show in Newport Beach. Very impressive music - definitely not "junk".

Another interesting demo at The Show was by David Robinson, Editor at Positive Feedback who had taken the Linda Ronstadt album "Heart Like a Wheel" from The Tape Project and recorded the song "You're No Good" from the Stereo Analog Tape to DSD and then played it back as a DSD music file on the exaSound e28 DAC. Wow! That's an album that deserves a release as a Hybrid Stereo SACD and Stereo DSD Download.

How much does the Heart Like A Wheel reel sell for? I can't figure it out from their website.

How much does the Heart Like A Wheel reel sell for? I can't figure it out from their website.

As I understand it, you have a choice of two "subscriptions" in each series of 10 tapes. All 10 cost $3,000 while a "selective subscription" lets you get 6 of your choice in that series for $1,800.
So the effective price is $300/each - it's just that you have to get at least 6 in each series. See the pricing page at http://www.tapeproject.com/subscription/subscription.htm

Too bad. I'd buy that Ronstadt tape right now, but not with other titles I have no interest in. I used to have that Staple Singers title on an Ampex reel to reel years ago.

Too bad. I'd buy that Ronstadt tape right now, but not with other titles I have no interest in. I used to have that Staple Singers title on an Ampex reel to reel years ago.

We'll see if one of the reissue labels can license it for Stereo SACD. One thing I can say, the Robinson DSD Transfer was really something.

They go right from FLAC to Double Rate DSD. Now that's an endorsement of the DSD128 format.
This shows the silliness involved, they had better stay with FLAC (equivalent of lossless PCM).

This shows the silliness involved, they had better stay with FLAC (equivalent of lossless PCM).

e-Onkyo offers both, when available. Makes sense since different music fans want different things (Stereo or Surround, PCM or DSD, FLAC or WAV, ALAC for Apple owners, etc....)

Back