Jared Sacks at Native DSD Talks About Multichannel Sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
FYI....

'Sacks took some time to explain why the Native DSD team has been an early leader in offering Multichannel DSD downloads at a time when most sites only offer music downloads in Stereo and Mono. When recording new albums for his Channel Classics label, Sacks prefers recording in concert halls and live venues rather than a recording studio. This approach allows Channel Classics to capture natural ambience, depth and imaging.

Sacks says these attributes of music can best be heard in Multichannel playback. He noted that "When Multichannel recordings are done right, you will be convinced of the need for Surround Sound in your system."

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue73/dsd.htm

Sounds like he's going for big stereo rather then mixing 5 discrete channels.

Sacks owns Channel Classics so his recordings often try and capture the natural sound of the venue/hall he is recording in. I've tried several of the Channel Classics Multichannel recordings on SACD and DSD Download. They are very good.

On the other hand, Sacks does like Surround Sound in general. When I was talking to him at The Show in Newport Beach he was listening to "Money" by Pink Floyd in Surround Sound - and talking about plans for Jazz and other musical genres in Surround Sound as part of the Multichannel DSD Downloads to come at Native DSD. So he's not strictly a Classical Surround Sound fan by any means. When it comes to Multichannel, he loves it, period !

Sounds like he's going for big stereo rather then mixing 5 discrete channels.

That is because the music that he has been recording uses traditional stage placement of the performers and fracturing that into "5 discrete channels" would be destructive. (BTW, I put the phrase in quotes because Channel Classics really does record in 5 discrete channels but the sources are frontal and the surrounds are mostly ambiance.)

That is because the music that he has been recording uses traditional stage placement of the performers and fracturing that into "5 discrete channels" would be destructive. (BTW, I put the phrase in quotes because Channel Classics really does record in 5 discrete channels but the sources are frontal and the surrounds are mostly ambiance.)

Agreed. The Channel Classics recording approach works quite well to capture the stage placement of the performers.

The format is "5 discrete channels" vs. say a Matrixed approach to Surround Sound like SQ or QS.

Jared Sacks comments on the decision to release most 2016 Channel Classics albums on Stereo CD and DSD Stereo & DSD Multichannel downloads vs. the previous program of releasing new albums on Multichannel SACD discs and DSD downloads:

"On looking at numbers of last year's sales, we could have saved almost 30,000 euros by releasing the CD instead of the SACD. Since 90% of sales are really for those that want the normal CD I had to make this decision. Except for artists where I know I can sell enough, I will have to just press the normal pcm and have the DSD files as downloads in Stereo and Multichannel.

We release the music to promote the artist. If the artist does well we can sell our recordings. So the money saved can go to do what we are supposed to be doing.

We could never really push the extra costs (of SACDs) on to the consumer which meant we had to absorb this cost."
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/28/287548.html

For anybody whom has yet to sample one of Channel's Hybrid Multichannel SACDs, here's the first one that I've purchased. It's one that I come back to often, not only for the high quality of the performance and material, but for the quality of the recording and the presence it conveys.

Jared Sacks comments on the decision to release most 2016 Channel Classics albums on Stereo CD and DSD Stereo & DSD Multichannel downloads vs. the previous program of releasing new albums on Multichannel SACD discs and DSD downloads:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/28/287548.html

I actually believe that we might be able to purchase more Quad downloads if reissue labels followed that model. I have purchased a few Multichannel downloads and would purchase more if the titles I'm interested in were available.

For anybody whom has yet to sample one of Channel's Hybrid Multichannel SACDs, here's the first one that I've purchased. It's one that I come back to often, not only for the high quality of the performance and material, but for the quality of the recording and the presence it conveys.

Simon, I second your recommendation. I have that Philip Glass album on Multichannel DSD Download from Channel Classics.
Just excellent!

Back