Discwelder Chrome II 192kHz Issue?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alk3997

500 Club - QQ All-Star
I've recently purchased "Born on the Bayou" (CCR) from HDtracks at 192/24. I figured I'd just use Chrome II (2.30) to create a two channel DVD-Audio disc at 192/24, which was what three different programs report the Born on the Bayou files are that I received from HDtracks. Chrome also reports the files are 192/24.

The funny thing was that when I burn a disc, I end up with some tracks at 96/24 and others at 192/24. I looked at the disc under DVD-Audio explorer and it shows multiple titles even though there should only be one. With each title change, the sampling rate jumps back and forth between 192 and 96. Two DVD-Audio players report the same f(s) as DVD-Audio explorer, so I've convinced myself that the disc really is being burned this way.

I've tried gapless and non-gapless. I've tried moving the tracks around (a track that was 192 became 96 when moved). I tried with track images and without. Chrome reports that I'm only using 51% of a DVD-5 (4.8GB) disc.

So, I'm very confused as to what is going on and how to keep the tracks from being modified. I've never had something like this with Chrome before but this is the first time I'm using 192/24.

I wish I had Surcode MLP since I could try that as well, but (unfortunately) I don't have an MLP encoder.

Any ideas?

Andy

So you got individual 192/24 FLAC files from HDtracks right?

Did you convert the FLAC to WAV? & how?

Did you check the files in another tool prior to loading them in Chrome?

I did a test & it worked fine for me....

Did you set "Track defaults" to stereo in "Album Properties"?

I did a test & it worked fine for me....

Did you set "Track defaults" to stereo in "Album Properties"?

That's helpful - thank you! At least I know there is a way to make this work.

Here are the steps I took,

1) Ordered "Bayou Country" from HDtracks in Wave format (192/24). HDtracks has the option for 4 types of formats. Downloaded using their download manager - all downloads listed as "success"
2) I looked at the files in Goldwave to see if they really were 192/24 files and they all were. I also checked in Wavelab and Wavelab reports 192/24.
3) Opened Discwelder Chrome II
4) Opened forlder with the files in it in Chrome II. Chrome II reports the files are all 192/24.
5) Started a new disc. Verified disc properties are 2-channel.
6) Loaded the files by dragging the file from the file folder window in Chrome II onto the Group header in the bottom window. Repeated this step another 6 times (7 tracks total).
7) Renamed the tracks. On some tests I also loaded in 720x480 image files for each track.
8) Loaded a DVD-R and burned the tracks.
9) Disc burned without errors
10) Check disc structure with DVD-A Explorer and found the following:

Title 01
-- Track 01 - 96/24
Title 02
-- Track 01 - 192/24
Title 03
-- Track 01 - 96/24
Title 04
-- Track 01 - 192/24
Title 05
-- Track 01 - 96/24
-- Track 02 - 96/24
-- Track 03 - 96/24

11) Scratched my head and wondered how this could happen? Confirmed that the files really are what DVD-A Explorer said by extracting them and looking at the results which were 96/24 for original tracks 1,3,5,6 and 7 and 192/24 for the other two tracks.

Based on what you wrote, I decided to see if the wave wrapper from HDtracks could somehow be causing this. So, I re-saved the file in a slightly different wave wrapper (sometimes I have to use this version in ProTools for clean-up work). The bottom line was no difference in the outcome.

I'm stumped.

When you succeeded in doing this, how did you load the files into the disc structure in Chrome II? Did you drag each file individually into the group or use a different method?

Thanks again for the help!

Andy

Just to take out one more variable - I tried it with a DVD+R disc and the results were the same mixed up disc structure.

I double clicked the wav files to load them into the album....

FYI - I used 192/24 WAV files extracted from Eagles - Hotel California...

I'm gonna check this right now.
Will get back to you shortly (I have these files too)

What build of Chrome II please?

N

I'm gonna check this right now.
Will get back to you shortly (I have these files too)

What build of Chrome II please?

N

Neil, thanks. Yes it is 2.0.30 (the last build).

I have a theory that this may be because I'm running on a 64-bit system (W7-64). It's a dual boot computer with the other partition being a W7-32 bit system. Once I have an activation code for the 32-bit side I'll try out running with the 32-bit system.

BTW, I extracted the Hotel California stereo tracks and the same thing strange 96/192/96 structure occurred with those files, as well.

Andy

Sorted.
The problem is the slideshow images you have added - it's a nasty bug in Chrome.
I checked - and reproduced - your error, with track 1 reporting correctly in DVD-A explorer, the rest in a different set of tracks at 24/96.
The same tracks compile true in Sonic, and also true in Chrome if you remove the slides.

Workaround:
Use the track images as track associated menus instead, and create a custom menu structure rather than the generated one.

Sorted.
The problem is the slideshow images you have added - it's a nasty bug in Chrome.
I checked - and reproduced - your error, with track 1 reporting correctly in DVD-A explorer, the rest in a different set of tracks at 24/96.
The same tracks compile true in Sonic, and also true in Chrome if you remove the slides.

Workaround:
Use the track images as track associated menus instead, and create a custom menu structure rather than the generated one.

Neil, that is very interesting.

I tried to reproduce what you did. I disabled all image files associated with each track. I then disabled all menus in album properties. I also double-checked that everything that should be set to 2-ch (both the tracks and the album) were set to 2-ch mode.

Unfortunately, I still get the same file structure. I suppose I could create one long file of the tracks and then split it like is done for MLP input files?

Anyway, waiting on a reply from Minnetonka so I can try out the 32-bit OS.

Did I miss a step with what you wrote?

Wow - this has sure turned into a science fair project. Luckily this is for myself so I've taken my time to try to solve.

I burned a DVD-Audio disc with Wavelab 7 and the burned portion of the disc is larger (longer) than the Chrome build. The Wavelab 7 DVD-Audio disc plays properly and shows 192/24 in DVD-Audio Explorer and on the players' displays. So, that validates the input files.

I have tried adding an image to each track, selecting "manual advance" in each track with no change in Chrome. Still the strange menu structure. I have tried it with no images attached to each track, with no change.

I even merged all of the tracks into one long file, loaded that into Chrome and then used trackpoints to divide up the tracks. That was entertaining since the first track played properly for 2 minutes at 192/24 then switched to 96/24 mid-track but played at half-speed. Really deep bass that way but not a good way to listen to the song.

Do I have to create a custom menu for this to work? I've almost given up since I can't seem to find the magic that Neil and LizardKing did. It also helps that I have a good version with Wavelab although it still bothers me that the much-more-expensive Chrome can't author a 192/24 disc (at least easily).

Andy

Last edited:
What build of Chrome are you running? I did this in build 2.0.30 (it is a proper legitimate version from Minnetonka Audio)
I took the HDtrax versions & decoded to WAV, added into Chrome.
Named each track.
Added a single image per track as a slide & got the first track at 24/192 and the rest at 24/96.
Took away the slides & recompiled and got a proper 24/192 compile.
Created a custom menu (by editing the generated one) and compiled and again it was right.
I did not try with track associated menus - note menus, not slides (huge difference).

The trouble I had with Chrome is that it's abstraction layer gets in the way, and it has some nasty gotchas - one of which is this slideshow issue.

Thank you Neil. I will try again. The interesting thing is that you decoded the HDTrax to wave. I ordered the tracks from HDTracks in wave. That's one difference. But that doesn't explain why the same thing happened with the Hotel California tracks extracted as LizardKing mentioned above.

I'm going to use what you wrote as the procedure and see what happens.

I appreciate the help!

Andy

Neil, forgot to answer your questions. Building is indeed 2.0.30 with code from Minnetonka. Software provided by Minnetonka as an upgrade to the version I purchased.

Two quick (hopefully) questions,

1) Are you on a 32-bit or 64-bit system?
2) When you created the custom menu from the generated one, did you change anything?

Andy

Neil, forgot to answer your questions. Building is indeed 2.0.30 with code from Minnetonka. Software provided by Minnetonka as an upgrade to the version I purchased.

Two quick (hopefully) questions,

1) Are you on a 32-bit or 64-bit system?
2) When you created the custom menu from the generated one, did you change anything?

Andy

Hi Andy.
DiscWelder Chrome is on a 32-bit OS, same one as Sonic's DVD-Audio Creator - which is why I keep it running as DAC will not run on anything later than XP.
When I created a custom screen from Generated I swapped the default background for a scaled version of the crappy image from HDtrax.
Tell you what - I will rebuild the Chrome project & send you the WLD file.....

For me DW causing problems on Win 7 64bit. It helped change the compatibility. Run the program in compatibility mode for windows xp service pack 3.

What's your email address, Andy?
I am rebuilding the Chrome project right now, and will of course test it beforehand.
Checking with Hotel California HDtrax Stereo 24/192 FLAC, decoded to WAV beforehand.

Back