First 2 Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs Announced - Supersession and Breezin'

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I'll got stuck with these two because of my subscription. Ugh.

With the announcement of the first 2 titles made, my initial excitement is over. Not interested in those. Anyway, I have lots of other things to listen to.
Next time, perhaps...

On a related tangent, I think I'm just about to jack it in over @SHF. I'm fed up bickering with my back to the wall (and I do feel pretty alone there at times, fighting surround music's corner) the general tone there from the same people borders on the unpleasant. Such a shame, there are many good people there and many things I like about the place. Ah well.. still, I'll buy these two AF SACDs to "support the cause" in the hope there'll be more, even though I could really care less about one of the titles that's been announced.. and most probably go back to lurking at that site rather than participating as it's not a barrel of laughs there where 5.1 and Quad music discussions concerned - I chat on these forums to have fun and friendly discussion not a hard time and encounter behaviour bordering on hostility.

On a related tangent, I think I'm just about to jack it in over @SHF. I'm fed up bickering with my back to the wall (and I do feel pretty alone there at times, fighting surround music's corner) the general tone there from the same people borders on the unpleasant. Such a shame, there are many good people there and many things I like about the place. Ah well.. still, I'll buy these two AF SACDs to "support the cause" in the hope there'll be more, even though I could really care less about one of the titles that's been announced.. and most probably go back to lurking at that site rather than participating as it's not a barrel of laughs there where 5.1 and Quad music discussions concerned - I chat on these forums to have fun and friendly discussion not a hard time and encounter behaviour bordering on hostility.

I actually lurked on this forum for a year before joining recently and I'm glad I did, BUT I've lurked on SHF even longer and there is no way I would post over there. There are good posters there but they get drowned out by the 2 channel zealots. I've been there and done that on various forums and I'm done with those type of environments; it's a hobby for me; not life and death. Whenever you have an environment that discourages open dialogue and tries to suppress dissenting views it's not a healthy situation.

Thank you for your support and technical explanation over there, Dave. It means a lot (y)

Hopefully folks there will read what you've said, follow the thread you created, examine the findings of your investigation and maybe, just maybe, AF will see it too and ensure that Breezin in 5.1 is done right this time around.

I actually lurked on this forum for a year before joining recently and I'm glad I did, BUT I've lurked on SHF even longer and there is no way I would post over there. There are good posters there but they get drowned out by the 2 channel zealots. I've been there and done that on various forums and I'm done with those type of environments; it's a hobby for me; not life and death. Whenever you have an environment that discourages open dialogue and tries to suppress dissenting views it's not a healthy situation.

I'm glad you stopped lurking and joined in the discussion here, Clint :) I love your contributions to QQ! (y) Keep up the good work! :p

George Benson “Breezin'” For the first time on Multichannel Hybrid SACD. The Grammy award winning best-selling jazz album of all time!
The 5.1 Surround Sound mix is produced by Al Schmitt;
The 5.1 Surround Sound mastering is by Doug Sax at The Mastering Lab

Did Al Schmitt mix the DVD-A or might this be a new mix? Or at least a new mastering?

Al Schmitt mixed the 5.1 on the DVD-A and Doug Sax mastered it - and imho somebody along the line mucked it up! I fear the worst.. :mad:@:

I do wonder why AF (if they had to go with a title that had previously been released) didn't choose a Warner DVD-A that's got a fantastic glitch-free/quirk-free 5.1 mix and is sought after fetching large sums to this day?

Something like:

Homecoming/America..
The Captain & Me/The Doobies..
Winelight/Grover Washington Jr..

..for example.

I'm sure licensing costs/availability were the #1 determining factor there. They basically have to find albums where willingness of the artist, licensing cost, and an availability of a 5.1/quad mix all intersect.

I know a lot of QQ-ers petitioned to make this happen, so I have a Question for you all:

I'm guessing Marshall Blonstein asked for your suggestions for suitable titles for their new Surround SACD endeavour when you contacted him, or rather you volunteered suggestions in your emails, etc.. and I'm guessing many of you didn't suggest Breezin.. so, how do you feel about it being chosen as one of the first releases?

I only ask as I get the distinct impression it's been met mostly with indifference here and @SHF so far.

funny you mention that fredblue...to sooth my upset soul i'm listening to Doobies Captain n Me right now!

Just listened to "Super Session" on Spotify, and it sounded exactly like I thought it would, a super session, basically one big jam out.
Can't say I was really impressed with the album overall, but depending on the price and how good the mix is, I may pick it up eventually, but it won't be a first day buy for me for sure.

SS Track #9 is listed on the photo as "Havey's Tune" on the disc itself. Hopefully, they can correct this. If so, Harvey Brooks (Goldstein) will be pleased.
harvey-brooks.jpg

I know a lot of QQ-ers petitioned to make this happen, so I have a Question for you all:

I'm guessing Marshall Blonstein asked for your suggestions for suitable titles for their new Surround SACD endeavour when you contacted him, or rather you volunteered suggestions in your emails, etc.. and I'm guessing many of you didn't suggest Breezin.. so, how do you feel about it being chosen as one of the first releases?

I only ask as I get the distinct impression it's been met mostly with indifference here and @SHF so far.

What steelydave said in post #28. Makes the most sense- I asked for more progressive material
plus the question of what is so tough to answer, like if asked what is a favorite dvd audio and no one can just answer with one disc.

I assume you mean me, Dennis. As mentioned in my previous post, yes, I'll buy both.

Kwad Kitty actually isn't me, but my cat, a male. He could care less about either of these. He's waiting for Cat Stevens in 5.1. He'll prick up his ears for that.

I've been buying woefully few pieces of software this year, since all of my spare $$$ has gone to Kwad Kitty's Vet bills. He was near death, but is doing spectacularly, albeit with pills, digestives and IV's. He is his old, crazy self.

Yes my good Lady I was thinking of you. :)

I am very sad to hear your cat is under the weather. I have two cats, I was part of a stray cat rescue program in California... My prior cat had bad cancer but Prednisone extended her life for 2 years when UC Davis Vet Center gave her 2-6 months! I hope things go well with QuadKitty.

Yes, I've seen your collection. Extensive late 60s. But I wasn't sure if guitar music was your bag. I know Mike Bloomfield from The
Paul Butterfield Blues Band. More required guitar playing from my guitar teacher back in the 1970s..

What is it with blues/jazz musicians and heroin??? The 70s were much safer, just some weed and Pink Floyd records.(y)

If its done better than the DVD-A I'll be happy...

But I thoiuht they wouldn't be re-releasing titles???? :mad:@:

SS went gold almost immediately upon release, albeit with little or no airplay, just word of mouth. IMHO, Bloomfield is one of the best blues/rock guitarists ever. Only Hendrix was head and shoulders above him. Of over 20,000 albums in my collection, Super Session is in my top 100.
Mike_Bloomfield_053.gif

Just listened to "Super Session" on Spotify, and it sounded exactly like I thought it would, a super session, basically one big jam out.
Can't say I was really impressed with the album overall, but depending on the price and how good the mix is, I may pick it up eventually, but it won't be a first day buy for me for sure.

SS went gold almost immediately upon release, albeit with little or no airplay, just word of mouth. IMHO, Bloomfield is one of the best blues/rock guitarists ever. Only Hendrix was head and shoulders above him. Of over 20,000 albums in my collection, Super Session is in my top 100.
View attachment 14554

You'll enjoy Al Kooper's new Super Session liner notes on the upcoming SACD. They had no idea Super Session would end up as a Gold Record !

But I thought they wouldn't be re-releasing titles???? :mad:@:

No, Audio Fidelity (and the other reissue companies) continue to get requests for titles from the Quad Era and the SACD/DVD-A releases from folks who missed the releases the first time around. Probably to avoid some of the crazy prices on eBay and Amazon for out of print discs! So a mix of released and unreleased Multichannel albums from AF is very likely.

Back