First 2 Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs Announced - Supersession and Breezin'

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, Audio Fidelity (and the other reissue companies) continue to get requests for titles from the Quad Era and the SACD/DVD-A releases from folks who missed the releases the first time around. Probably to avoid some of the crazy prices on eBay and Amazon for out of print discs! So a mix of released and unreleased Multichannel albums from AF is very likely.

Oh.. well seeing as AF put out a Scorpions Stereo SACD.. how about a Moment Of Glory in Surround? Just sayin.. ;)

Just listened to "Super Session" on Spotify, and it sounded exactly like I thought it would, a super session, basically one big jam out.
Can't say I was really impressed with the album overall, but depending on the price and how good the mix is, I may pick it up eventually, but it won't be a first day buy for me for sure.

Don't hold out too long rt! These are Limited Edition don't forget! :p

Hey everyone,

Marshall has made a point of saying that if you don't like a title, you don't have to buy it. That being said, these are the first two, and I would imagine that licensing dictated which titles could get out of the gate the quickest. While I would have loved to see "One of These Nights", "Court and Spark", 'Fleetwood Mac", or some other high profile title, these titles are probably what they could get quickly so they could master and prepare to release them to launch the series.

Many here have lamented about the Al Kooper 5.1 SACDs that Sony refused to release, well, here is one of them. Can't knock that. And as for Breezin', even if you don't happen to like the title, it signals that the vaults at WB are open for business! Can't knock that either.

Time will tell what's coming and how these titles will do. So for now, all we can do is wait it out.

Many here have lamented about the Al Kooper 5.1 SACDs that Sony refused to release, well, here is one of them. Can't knock that.

Yes - and the music industry folks that have heard the 5.1 SACD Super Session edition that Al Kooper mixed and Bob Ludwig mastered have been raving about it for years.
A very interesting SACD release in my book!

Yes - and the music industry folks that have heard the 5.1 SACD Super Session edition that Al Kooper mixed and Bob Ludwig mastered have been raving about it for years.
A very interesting SACD release in my book!

Very interesting and very encouraging.. and it is one from AF I will very much be buying.. Just out of interest, what's the music industry buzz been over the years about the 5.1 on the Breezin' DVD-A?

In today's marketplace, it would be interesting to know what constitutes a commercial success in sales for a company like AF. I'm sure they don't need to move a half million units for a title to be considered a success. But what is that number for them? 5,000 units? 10,000? Do they wholesale to other vendors or is the burden of sales entirely on them? Are these titles only released in the original limited, numbered edition? Or if that first run is sold out are more copies of that title released? It would just be interesting to know how many of each of these titles they have to move for them to consider the venture a commercial success, thus spawning further releases after the first proposed 10?

I'll buy them, although I probably won't be listening to either more than once. 5000 is usually what the minimum press is, although sometimes labels have allowed smaller runs, and they have to pay up front.

In today's marketplace, it would be interesting to know what constitutes a commercial success in sales for a company like AF. I'm sure they don't need to move a half million units for a title to be considered a success. But what is that number for them? 5,000 units? 10,000? Do they wholesale to other vendors or is the burden of sales entirely on them? Are these titles only released in the original limited, numbered edition? Or if that first run is sold out are more copies of that title released? It would just be interesting to know how many of each of these titles they have to move for them to consider the venture a commercial success, thus spawning further releases after the first proposed 10?

Good question.. I always thought it was 5,000 Ltd Ed. I've bought AF discs from Amazon UK in the recent past, so I'd say they wholesale to other vendors, though some AF titles there have seemingly gone out of stock (I guess that means sold out and no more inventory for Amazon they've had all that they're allocated?) and pretty quickly I might add!

I'm sure licensing costs/availability were the #1 determining factor there. They basically have to find albums where willingness of the artist, licensing cost, and an availability of a 5.1/quad mix all intersect.

I think you have nailed it. There are a lot of "hoops" to jump thru on some of these titles, it's just not as simple as fans think it is to get these projects started. You have cited the 2 key words, willingness and availability, and of course the other word money is always in the mix. In some cases where the band has the rights, all members aren't always in agreement about doing the project. I noticed another dynamic, the working relationship some bands have with certain producers/engineers. As much as I dream about Steven Wilson or Elliot Scheiner mixing my favorite albums in surround I know it's a long shot. Either they don't want to work with the band or the Band's manager or members have relationships with others in the field. Sadly you can see this type of "friendship" on exhibit in some of the worst productions, especially in concerts. I scratch my head when I see a horrible blu ray concert from an established band that could afford the very best; but continually use the same guy and the results are bad almost every time out.

I want the AF 5.1 stuff to sell well enough to get more releases out, but I've really no interest in either of these titles myself and I just can't justify buying them to file them on the shelf to never be played. I suspect though that there is enough interest in them to get the sales they want, even if many of those sales are just for the 2.0 hi-res layer.

Yes, it is encouraging that the burden of success or failure doesn't lie entirely in the hands of multi-channel fans. In fact, one would assume that the bulk of the sales will be from those seeking the stereo content, not the surround content.

Unless Breezin' is remixed and not sounding like it came out of Dave Dexter's house, then it will be the biggest multichannel annoyance since Rhino did Aretha Franklin's greatest hits

of course the original stereo is great

Yes, it is encouraging that the burden of success or failure doesn't lie entirely in the hands of multi-channel fans. In fact, one would assume that the bulk of the sales will be from those seeking the stereo content, not the surround content.

I'm curious why you think that a hi rez format is desired more by those seeking just the stereo content? I think in the past that may have been true but since the inclusion of multi channel soundtracks in most blu ray movies IMO the tide has shifted. More people have home theater systems now that include more than just stereo setups. I saw this trend increase over the last 5 years with inexpensive theater in the box systems with 5.1 capabilities. I'd be curious to know just what % of sales are driven by multi channel customers.

Snood will get both.............when can we pre order? :51banana:

But Love me some good GEE-TAR stuffz

Not the most exciting titles, but it is an ok start.

Perhaps these titles are all that AF could afford to licence while dipping their toes in the water. Not off to an exciting start.

They were probably the first to get clearance, Al Kooper has been eager to get his titles out and George Benson's management have been agreeable to other licensing in the past.

Audio Fidelity sells through other retailers including Elusive Disc, Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct and Amazon, among others. In fact, Elusive Disc, Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct are already taking pre-orders for both SACDs starting today!

Elusive Disc - $29.99 each
http://www.elusivedisc.com/George-Benson-Breezin-Numbered-Limited-Edition-SACD/productinfo/AFSAM185/
http://www.elusivedisc.com/Mike-Blo...ed-Limited-Edition-SACD/productinfo/AFSAM186/

Acoustic Sounds - $29.98 each
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/98117/George_Benson-Breezin-Hybrid_Multichannel_SACD
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...Stills-Super_Session-Hybrid_Multichannel_SACD

Music Direct - $29.99 each
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-234912...-numbered-limited-edition-hybrid-51-sacd.aspx
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-234910...ession-nmbrd-lmtd-edition-hybrid-51-sacd.aspx

Back