First 2 Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs Announced - Supersession and Breezin'

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it is encouraging that the burden of success or failure doesn't lie entirely in the hands of multi-channel fans. In fact, one would assume that the bulk of the sales will be from those seeking the stereo content, not the surround content.

Right. That's why Audio Fidelity is issuing these as Hybrid Multichannel SACDs. The SACDs will have the newly remastered Stereo SACD and Stereo CD Audio tracks AF fans are after and, as a bonus, 5.1 tracks for Surround fans as well. And everyone that gets the new Super Session SACD will enjoy Al Kooper's new liner notes on the history of that album. Very interesting - and entertaining! :)
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue73/audio_fidelity.htm

Audio Fidelity sells through other retailers including Elusive Disc, Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct and Amazon, among others. In fact, Elusive Disc is already taking pre-orders for both SACDs starting today!
http://www.elusivedisc.com/Mike-Blo...ed-Limited-Edition-SACD/productinfo/AFSAM186/
http://www.elusivedisc.com/George-Benson-Breezin-Numbered-Limited-Edition-SACD/productinfo/AFSAM185/

Snood just ordered both.........got that out of the way lol

Thanks Bmoura :banana:

So I know the crowd at sh.tv will be eager to purchase anything with SH's name on it.

But if this is the pedigree of what AF will be offering, will they increase sales significantly? Will 5.1 fans, who are not regular AF customers, eat this stuff up?

So I know the crowd at sh.tv will be eager to purchase anything with SH's name on it.

But if this is the pedigree of what AF will be offering, will they increase sales significantly? Will 5.1 fans, who are not regular AF customers, eat this stuff up?
I don't think either of these titles match up with what the crowd listens to. Jazz?

Not significantly with these two, imho... I'm a 5.1 fan who's a regular AF customer :)

I placed a preorder for Super Session which is a triple cherry for me. First AF disk, first SH mastered (that I know of), and first time hearing this album.

They pulled in at least one new customer. :cool:

Very happy and most appreciative to see bmoura posting over at the SHF in the AF 5.1 SACD thread with great contributions (with factual information rather than the mere speculation an outsider like me can only proffer) about these new releases. That should silence any critics! Good job Mr.M! (y)

Hmm, $200 new and $2,400 used? And that is for the Stereo only SACD of Breezin' from Warner Japan.
Yes, the new SACD should lower some of these offering prices a bit!

Let's hope so! Meantime, any QQ-ers who haven't got the Breezin DVD-A yet and are curious to hear for themselves what's going on with the surround mix can pick it up from Amazon UK for as little as £21 right now.

The first 2 SACD 5.1 releases are Super Session & George Benson's Breezin'.

Here is the press release from Audio Fidelity:

AUDIO FIDELITY ENTERS THE MULTICHANNEL ARENA!

The rumors that have been circulating regarding Audio Fidelity’s entry into the 5.1 and the multichannel arena are true. Over the years we’ve been asked to consider releasing our titles in the multichannel format. After long consideration we will soon be adding a limited number of hybrid multichannel SACDs to our regular release schedule of high-end vinyl and hybrid SACDs.

Our first two 5.1 titles are:

Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper, Steve Stills, “Super Session” Never before available!

The 5.1 Surround Sound mix is produced by Al Kooper;

The 5.1 Surround Sound mastering is by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering Studios;

The original 2-track stereo and DSD mastering is by Steve Hoffman at Marsh Mastering studio;

Al Kooper’s updated liner notes are included in the colorful 12-pg booklet.

supersession.jpg

George Benson “Breezin'” For the first time on Multichannel Hybrid SACD. The Grammy award winning best-selling jazz album of all time!

The Grammy award winning best-selling jazz album of all time!

The 5.1 Surround Sound mix is produced by Al Schmitt;

The 5.1 Surround Sound mastering is by Doug Sax at The Mastering Lab;

The original 2-track stereo and DSD mastering is by Steve Hoffman at Marsh Mastering studio.

Breezin.jpg

Our multichannel releases will all be Hybrid SACDs and include either 5.1 or Quad. The consumer will have the same access to the stereo and DSD channels that they currently enjoy while the multichannel 5.1 or Quad layer will introduce a whole new level of listening experience.

The cost of our Multichannel Hybrid SACDs will remain at the current $29.99 for as long as we can maintain profitability, which is always based on the cost of acquiring licenses.

The packaging will be consistent with our Audio Fidelity look of the unique slipcase showing the disc. We will be changing the color of the slipcase to a silver to distinguish the multichannel from our Hybrid SACD slipcase.

For now the multichannel titles will not be released on a monthly basis – we’ll release them less frequently than our Hybrid SACDs.

Our Multichannel Hybrid SACDs will be numbered in the same manner as our vinyl and Hybrid SACDs.

We anticipate this to be a late July or early August release.

www.imwan.com

Two reasons not to buy 'SACD' Always my least favorite MC Format, and No European distributor.

money saved for XTC to come and what ever else is relased at a reasonable price.

Back