First 2 Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs Announced - Supersession and Breezin'

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AF SACDs do have distribution in Europe, via Amazon UK/DE.

Still SACD though.

Might have upgraded ot blu ray for Breezin' (I have the DVDA) but i still consider SACD a backward step horrible DSD noise shaping and filtering and No potential for Video content.

Supersession I more likely would have brought on Blu Ray but not SACD.

Last edited:
Many here have lamented about the Al Kooper 5.1 SACDs that Sony refused to release, well, here is one of them. Can't knock that. And as for Breezin', even if you don't happen to like the title, it signals that the vaults at WB are open for business! Can't knock that either.

Fully agree with you, Jon. Al Kooper is a sure buy for me, however other people are right in saying these are not high-visibility titles and the AF (Aretha Franklin) risk can be quite serious for AF (Audio Fidelity).

Assuming the Fleetwood Mac members approve a 5.1 release, the tapes (Stereo and Multichannel) are in good shape and will result in audiophile grade Stereo CD and SACD tracks, the licensing costs match the sales potential of the reissue, etc. etc......

As always, there are many factors involved in what is - and isn't - reissued on Hybrid Stereo SACD or Hybrid Multichannel SACD by reissue labels like Audio Fidelity, Mobile Fidelity, Analogue Productions and ORG.

Audiophile SACD is an oxymoron.
Sorry but there it is - there is nothing at all above 23KHz except noise on any SACD, and lots of it.

So I know the crowd at sh.tv will be eager to purchase anything with SH's name on it.

But if this is the pedigree of what AF will be offering, will they increase sales significantly? Will 5.1 fans, who are not regular AF customers, eat this stuff up?

I've certainly heard interest from some fans of the Super Session album outside of the SH.TV forum and audiophiles. These SS fans are definitely planning to buy the SS 5.1 SACD!
And I think they'll enjoy the new liner notes by Al Kooper. Quite a story of the album's conception and journey to a 5.1 Multichannel SACD in August... :)

I placed a preorder for Super Session which is a triple cherry for me. First AF disk, first SH mastered (that I know of), and first time hearing this album.

They pulled in at least one new customer. :cool:

There will be more. The Super Session 5.1 SACD seems to be the big attraction in this release announcement.

Very happy and most appreciative to see bmoura posting over at the SHF in the AF 5.1 SACD thread with great contributions (with factual information rather than the mere speculation an outsider like me can only proffer) about these new releases. That should silence any critics! Good job Mr.M! (y)

Thanks. I have a bit of an advantage here since I've been after Marshall for years to issue 5.1 SACDs on Audio FIdelity. So he did give me a sneak peek at the Super Session liner notes. Al Kooper is quite a story teller!

What Blu-ray? There's a live Blu-ray Video (on Eagle Vision), whereas the old SACD is a studio album (on EMI), not the same repertoire/performance and mix as I understand it.

The availability of the Blu-Ray Video will discourage an SACD edition for now. But AF has issued material from The Scorpions. So there could be something from them down the road.
I wonder if they have any unreleased 5.1 mixes.

Fully agree with you, Jon. Al Kooper is a sure buy for me, however other people are right in saying these are not high-visibility titles and the AF (Aretha Franklin) risk can be quite serious for AF (Audio Fidelity).

The Aretha Franklin release is a little different. Soul titles historically have not been big sellers as audiophile reissues. So the reissue labels will tread very lightly in this area. Too bad, I'd love to see more SACDs in this category. I'm sure "Philly Bob" feels the same way! :)

Supersession I more likely would have brought on Blu Ray but not SACD.

Haven't heard any plans or interest from Audio Fidelity in Blu-Ray or BD Audio. Their future releases continue to be planned for SACD and Vinyl LP.

Audiophile SACD is an oxymoron.
Sorry but there it is - there is nothing at all above 23KHz except noise on any SACD, and lots of it.

on a related tangent.. what are the chances there's much musical information above 23k on the Super Session master tape? Just curious as to yours and everybody's best guesses :)

last time I ran test tones (earlier in the year) it seemed to show I can hear upto 16k at healthy listening levels (though I realise doing DIY hearing tests may not prove conclusive!) I was pleasantly surprised.. not bad for a life of smashing concrete, rock concerts and crappy karaoke!

Bobby (my Jack Russell) often looks over at the speakers with a "what the 'eck!?" face.. though that's probably more cos he's hacked off having to sit through more Elton bloody John for the unpteenth time! :eek:

Thanks. I have a bit of an advantage here since I've been after Marshall for years to issue 5.1 SACDs on Audio FIdelity. So he did give me a sneak peek at the Super Session liner notes. Al Kooper is quite a story teller!

OOH!! :wave

Super excited about the
Super Session
Super Audio CD now..!!!!

:51banana:

The availability of the Blu-Ray Video will discourage an SACD edition for now. But AF has issued material from The Scorpions. So there could be something from them down the road.
I wonder if they have any unreleased 5.1 mixes.

Really? I don't understand why.. as I said, the Blu-ray and M/C SACD are of completely different things! The Blu-ray is not a port of the Surround SACD, the Blu-ray is a live performance video disc, the SACD is a studio album remixed in 5.1.

The Aretha Franklin release is a little different. Soul titles historically have not been big sellers as audiophile reissues. So the reissue labels will tread very lightly in this area. Too bad, I'd love to see more SACDs in this category. I'm sure "Philly Bob" feels the same way! :)

I wonder if AF were to unearth, say, an unreleased surround mix of Songs In The Key Of Life (I'm not saying one actually exists!) or the Quad mix of What's Going On (both of which have been milked to death by Universal and also been remastered by AF and MFSL in stereo) there'd be such a poor response..?

the titles and artists are what makes it for the target market for these releases, as much as anything and clearly The Queen Of Soul wasn't doing it for Quadiophiles..

Back