Silverline DVD-A Winners & Losers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I just finished listening to Jimmy Witherspoon's The Blues, The Whole Blues, and Nothing But the Blues on Silverline DVD-Audio and I gotta say, I really enjoyed it. No, it's not an amazing mix, but the sound quality is good and the music is enjoyable...I'd easily give it a solid 6 to 7. In any case, I'm curious to hear about other blues dvd-audios or multichannel super audio cds you guys/gals would recommend.

Cheers,
GabeL

I'm curious to hear about other blues dvd-audios or multichannel super audio cds you guys/gals would recommend.

Try OPUS 3 SACD's with artists like Eric Bibb or Peder Af Ugglass... Ambient mixes, but great sound and music! (y)

You won't be deceived!!!

Try OPUS 3 SACD's with artists like Eric Bibb or Peder Af Ugglass... Ambient mixes, but great sound and music! (y)

You won't be deceived!!!

Hey there,

So, I'm really into classic Chicago or Mississippi style blues (yes, I know they are quite different), and I'm not familiar with the artists on the OPUS 3 SACDs...any description you can provide?

Thanks,
GabeL

Hey there,

So, I'm really into classic Chicago or Mississippi style blues (yes, I know they are quite different), and I'm not familiar with the artists on the OPUS 3 SACDs...any description you can provide?

Thanks,
GabeL

Eric Bibb's sound is close to Keb Mo's sound... but a bit more classic. Definitely in the Mississippi style!!!

Peder af Ugglass is ... something eles. Bluesy and varied feelings. Some songs even have a Pink Floyd feel, due to the guitar tone. This guy is a great musisican. Not close to the Mississippi or Chicago styles, but worth the listen if you are a little adventurous!

Plus the OPUS 3 titles sound GREAT!!!

I'm also currently picking up a few blues titles to add to my surround collection!!! :)

Eric Bibb's sound is close to Keb Mo's sound... but a bit more classic. Definitely in the Mississippi style!!!

Peder af Ugglass is ... something eles. Bluesy and varied feelings. Some songs even have a Pink Floyd feel, due to the guitar tone. This guy is a great musisican. Not close to the Mississippi or Chicago styles, but worth the listen if you are a little adventurous!

Plus the OPUS 3 titles sound GREAT!!!

I'm also currently picking up a few blues titles to add to my surround collection!!! :)

Yeah, so, that is what i feared...I am a traditionalist when it comes to the blues...even Keb Mo sounds far too modern for me (not all of his stuff but some)...we shall see. Thanks for the advice :)

Yeah, so, that is what i feared...I am a traditionalist when it comes to the blues...even Keb Mo sounds far too modern for me (not all of his stuff but some)...we shall see. Thanks for the advice :)

There are also all the JSP titles: Buddy Guy (OOP), Hubert Sumlin, Jimmy Witherspoon, Deitra Farr, James and Lucky Peterson... Very discreet quad mixes!!

There is also Robert Lockwood Jr and Rory Block on Telarc!!

And don't forget John HAMMOND on Chesky records! Alone with his acoustic guitar!!!

You should really give a listen to Eric Bibb (Just Like Love, or Good Stuff): these are great discs!

I believe Living Colour's "Collideoscope" was a Silverline disc. Absolutely atrocious, flat, unimaginative 5.1 mix.

If it is an old recording and I assume it must be but I didn't bother to check, it is certainly a faux surround mix. I have never seen that one but I know it is a Silverline release.

Chris

If it is an old recording and I assume it must be but I didn't bother to check, it is certainly a faux surround mix. I have never seen that one but I know it is a Silverline release.

Chris

Not an old recording whatsoever. This was the band's first reunion disc.....came out in 2003. Definitely a Silverline, as I just confirmed it in various places on the net. Picked it up as a clearance item when Tower Records went under. One great song in "Flying," which is probably the most poignant 9/11 track I've ever heard.

Don't know what you mean by "faux surround" but I could have done an infinitely better job with this album myself. A shame.

Not an old recording whatsoever. This was the band's first reunion disc.....came out in 2003. Definitely a Silverline, as I just confirmed it in various places on the net. Picked it up as a clearance item when Tower Records went under. One great song in "Flying," which is probably the most poignant 9/11 track I've ever heard.

Don't know what you mean by "faux surround" but I could have done an infinitely better job with this album myself. A shame.

Most of the older recordings Sliverline acquired rights to release on DVD-A, were done from something other than the multitracks, some program I have forgotten the name of that was used. Sometimes the faux surround was nothing more than expanded from a mono source, sometimes stereo by whatever program it was, so it isn't a mix at all. If this is a recent recording and Silverline had access to multitrack tapes then Silverline might have just done a poor job mixing it but most modern recordings where Silverline had something to work with, I think a good job was done. Silverline DVD-A's are common around here, garage sales, rummage sales, used stores, and even Hastings has a few new ones still in the Jacksonville, AR store. I have never seen that one though, although I have seen many dozens of the other titles.

Chris

Most of the older recordings Sliverline acquired rights to release on DVD-A, were done from something other than the multitracks, some program I have forgotten the name of that was used. Sometimes the faux surround was nothing more than expanded from a mono source, sometimes stereo by whatever program it was, so it isn't a mix at all. If this is a recent recording and Silverline had access to multitrack tapes then Silverline might have just done a poor job mixing it but most modern recordings where Silverline had something to work with, I think a good job was done. Silverline DVD-A's are common around here, garage sales, rummage sales, used stores, and even Hastings has a few new ones still in the Jacksonville, AR store. I have never seen that one though, although I have seen many dozens of the other titles.

Chris

can't imagine it was one that showed up in a lot of places, as the album came out well past the band's sell-by date.

thanks for the clarification. as someone who's never been able to get any sort of quality mix from upmixing mono, I can't imagine how they could have gotten anything out of those older recordings.

This is a helpful thread I didn't know was here.

I'd like to add one to the 'Good' list: "J.S. Bach Brandenburg Concertos by the Academy of St. James directed by Carl Pini." Its a lovingly restored recording (short video on the disc goes into some detail on the remastering) and a fine interpretation of the Brandenburgs.

Re: Silverline DVD-A Winners & Losers
Tipper "Surrounded" is a MUST HAVE!

yea great disc

can't imagine it was one that showed up in a lot of places, as the album came out well past the band's sell-by date.

thanks for the clarification. as someone who's never been able to get any sort of quality mix from upmixing mono, I can't imagine how they could have gotten anything out of those older recordings.

I believe we all used to refer to it as "mix-o-matic". It was referenced in the late 1990s as a way to take *any* source and create a 5.1-channel mix. I'll see if I have the press release somewhere.

There is enough information in a stereo recording to sometimes get a good mix (not quite to the discrete level) if enough time is spent. Only recently with the advent of good forensic audio tools can individual instruments in mono recordings be isolated. A good example of that is Cedar audio's Retouch program. It is on my list of programs to try once I get through the 200+ other items on my to-do list :)

http://www.cedaraudio.com/news/ibs_lecture2009.html

I suspect that Silverline wouldn't have taken the time even if this had been available during their DVD-A days. Of course, I don't know this for a fact but...

Andy

There is enough information in a stereo recording to sometimes get a good mix (not quite to the discrete level) if enough time is spent. Only recently with the advent of good forensic audio tools can individual instruments in mono recordings be isolated. A good example of that is Cedar audio's Retouch program. It is on my list of programs to try once I get through the 200+ other items on my to-do list :)

One of the biggest myths out there is that getting a good stereo-to-surround mix takes a lot of time. If you listen to the newer SPEC mixes, and much of the gain automation that goes along with it, a lot of the tediousness of the work has been taken away. The level of discreteness is certainly source-dependent sometimes, but SPEC is able to do a better job with more sources than anything I've seen before it, and I've worked with a whole lot of stereo-to-surround methods over the years.

Never heard of Retouch, but working from mono is a bit of a holy grail for a lot of us, so this is good information. Thanks a million.

Has anyone heard the Silverline DVD-A called "Matrix" by Dizzy Gillespie?

Going from memory... The music is more funk than jazz. The sound quality is ok, studio recordings. The source is stereo and the surround mix is derived from the stereo.

noffour

Some more that shine above the normal Silverline dross.

Richard Thompson - Old Kit Bag
Dar Williams - both
Grand Master Flash
The Mavericks
Fairport Convention
Sugar Hill Gang
Jane Monheit -All three
Big Head Todd and the Monsters
Big Band Christmas Vols 1&2
Moist - Machine Punch Through
Blues Traveller - Truth Be Told
Blondie - The Curse of Blondie
Classic Christmas - LSO
Nutcracker - LSO (DTS & DD only)
The Church - Forget Yourself
Toots and the Maytalls - In the Dark
Lauren Ellis - Feels like Family
Poncho Sanchez - Poncho at Montreux
Big Bill Broozy - 1955 London Sessions
That's all I think and agree with the other posts above. The Gary Numan one is wrap around but interesting all the same. The Taj Mahal at Ronnie Scott's is well recorded and tolerable.

Last edited:
Back